Sales People

axel

I had a hankering for a new TV so I popped into my local retailer to have a look at a few LED TVs
Soon as I entered the sales person attacked me ( I hate that) anyway I batted him off.
Made my way to the LED section but couldn’t work out which ones were back lit and which ones were edge lit because I couldn’t get a good look at how deep they were.
So I called the sales person over to ask the question (BIG Mistake) he went off on his sales patter
All the time trying to move me along the display (it’s called selling up) poor chap didn’t know that years ago I was a service engineer for a company called Colorvision (The sales staff at Colorvision were experts at selling up) so I spotted his ploy instantly.
Anyway I stood firmly in the middle of the displays and let him rant on for a while with his patter
He started to get a bit technical so I let him run with it he explained that LEDs were a lot brighter than LCD TVs better contrast etc ok so far he then informed me that of course they were brighter because “The LEDs directly emit the picture”.
I started laughing and he got a little worried so I had to explain to him that LED TVs are just LCD displays but they are illuminated with LEDs either around the edge or by a rear matrix rather than a lamp he wouldn’t have it though he firmly believes that these TVs use LEDs to produce the picture.
He even involved one of his floorwalker buddies and he believed the same needless to say I just left smiling to myself and I won’t be buying one from that retail chain.
But it made me wonder about how much BS these people tell the unsuspecting none teky punter Just to make a sale.
One phrase summed it up for me GET TO KNOW YOUR PRODUCTS.

oh they are a pain in the wotsit!! If i want help ill ask for it and usually i KNOW what i want and i will buy what I want not what they try n sell ya. Sales staff are the same in any shop they get paid to sell no matter what.
Some shops have a rule - let them in and give them 30 seconds to look then POUNCE!!!

Problem is then when you do want a sales person you cant find one for love lol!

Whatever about these sales staff pouncing on you, it pi$$es me off no end when you have to educate them about their products and services, I have had this experience many times, especially about cameras, as when i am going to buy one i research the bejaysus out of them.

Back