Satellite in bedroom?

RoverTheDog

Hi, I am kind of confused and would like some advice from those in the know.

I currently have a Blade 5000s and a Skybox F5s. I upgrade the skybox and am using the blade in the living room, so the skybox is just sitting there unused.

In my living room the Communal TV Socket has: 'Sat 1', 'Sat 2', 'TV', 'Radio' & 'Return'. The bedroom only has a 'TV' Arial socket. Could I in anyway, wangle it so the TV socket in the room gives me a Sat Signal? At the moment when I connect the bedroom tv socket to TV i get freeview channels.

Am I correct in thinking anything I plug into the return with come out the TV socket in the bedroom? If so, I thought I would use Sat 2 and put that into the return socket, and that would give me a satellite signal in the bedroom with which to put into the Blade? Or, could I have the Skybox in the living room which has a loop and then put the loop into the return to either give a sat signal, or even simply a straight connection to tv for whatever is on in the livingroom?

Also, TV signal socket is Freeview, and Sat is freesat yes? So is it even possible to loop the Sat1 or 2 into the return which leads to a TV socket?

Sorry if I misunderstand what Return and Loop do, I just need some clarification, and any help would be appreciated.

Rover

dont think you can as you said socket in bedroom is freeview by aerial only,also it depends on if sat 1 and 2 are on same sat or different sat? and you need a lan port also.

Yeah, I had a feeling it was impossible .

I wasnt sure how a sat signal would override the TV signal I get from the bedroom at the moment. I have no idea if the sat 1/2 are on different dishes or not. Although I was planning on using the blade in the bedroom and using the blade dongle for internet. But alas, if its not possible I guess it means I have to move the big TV back into the living room now, as I took it into the bedroom to test. So at least I saved myself buying a new HDTV for the bedroom and the cables and connectors etc. It was worth a shot. Thanks for the info cacti.

hold off doing anything until we are 100% sure,maybe others have tried other things.in main room plug satbox into sat 1 and sat 2 to see if works on same sat,other sat wont give you a signal as box is tuned to 28.2,could it be easy to run a sat cable to bedroom if you have a working feed? homeplugs might also work if on same feed.

Thanks again.

I pretty sure when I had just bought the blade I had that one hooked up to sat 1 connection, and the skybox on sat 2. They where in HDMI 1 & 2 on the TV at the same time, I switched between them and all was working well - I wanted to check which gave best image (I actually think the Skybox!).

As for running a cable, I dont think that's a viable option as I rent this place and the bedroom is a fair bit away from the living room. If it cant be done its no great loss.

so they give you options for a duel tuner,thats handy,if stuck you could just have cable running on floor .
wonder is anyone using a hdmi video sender?

sometimes when the connection in the bedroom is sat to as they still go through the same system its just a tv tuner plate they put on it, have you tried a male connection to go into wall and a screw connection at the other side of cable for the box and see if it picks up satellite? also how many other rooms you have in your house? do they all have sockets or is it just that one? reason im saying this as if its just the one then the return path maybe be going straight to that room with no splitter in the way, if so you can just connect cable from sat2 to return and would send through to your room, other option is just run a cable from sat 2 to that room.

Hi dumbguy,

"Connecting to the tv ariel will short circuit the lnb voltage and could destroy the tuner."

I dont get that. Is that for me or cacti who was talking about a vid sender? If its for me, do you mean if the bedroom socket turns out to be an aerial and NOT a sat connection it could blow the skybox/blade??

Hi Waldo,

I have 2 bedrooms, but only one has a tv output socket.

You say it could be sat in the bedroom, would that still be an option if I was picking up free-view channels though? I tried the other night on a TV with Free-View tuner and got channels. Isnt it one or the other - I have no idea. Can a tv socket with one output hold both a sat and free-view signal?

I have ordered some cables and connectors and will give it a go midweek and report back.

Thanks for the info guys

=================================
Update:

Got the cable & connectors today. I set the TV up in the bedroom. I looped the Sat2 connection to the Return (living-room). Then I hooked up the bedroom TV socket to the Skybox and did a scan, finding...absolutely nothing. I can only conclude that it is indeed just a normal aerial connection in the bedroom.

I am still confused though, whats the point of the return?

Last edited:
Back