Second Hand Xbox

wheelo

Admin
Staff member
TK Supporter
Axxxo has got me curious about this one and i want to know how to modify an xbox, i dont want an xbox to play, i only want to do this to see how hard it is. I was on my lunch today and walked into cash convertors and they had xboxes for sale 1. 20Gb HDD for €119.99 2.60GB for 139.99 and 3.120 GB for 159.99.
here is the question, is it any more likely that one of these boxes is easier to do than another, and am i likely to be able to sell the thing on after i do the mod?
these only came with 60 days warranty, while in game stop they offered an xbox(dont know what size HDD) for 119. these generally come with at least 6 months warranty, so which is the better value.

i have the cost spare at this minute, but i dont really want to be stuck with a console that i dont want after modding it.

any thoughts would be appreciated
Wheelo

Hi wheelo, first off i would investigate if any of these xbox's have been banned or modded previously or if they have had any repairs done or suffer from any faults like red ring of death and so on.
I would be very particular about this but thats just me :)
Secondly you could ask to see the manufacturing date thats on the back of the xbox,
Thirdly, you might want to consider the cost of the necessay parts needed for the modification itself.
If you got an old drive like the hitachi, tosh\sam, benq then the mod is straight forward and the basic ck3 kit would do the trick.
The liteon need additional hardware like the ck3 probe for the oldest version then as you go on to the newer liteon drives trace cuts are needed in conjunction with the LT switch
I use the CK3 Pro kit with the CK3 probe. I havent done the newer versions with the LT switch myself but i have had someone else do it for me as he was a pro :)
here's an example of some of the gear you need and another link for an example of the LT switch which there are newer versions of released also.
I must stress though that if you do find yourself faced with a newer liteon drive and you mess up the pcb cutting traces or lifting pads and so on, the ENTIRE xbox is useless to you without having the dvd key of the drive to put on another!
Code:
http://team-xecuter.com/xecuter-lt-switch-easy-switch-for-liteon-94850-83850-93450-dvd-drives/
Code:
http://team-xecuter.com/category/xecuter-products/
Anymore questions ask away, once you have the xbox flashed and are making your own backups i doubt you would ever get rid of it. Also depending on what dashboard version is on the xbox the jtag may be applied to it opening a whole lot more functionality and of course a whole lot more modding and hardware and reading which i have not gotten into and wont either cos i couldnt be arsed with jtag :)
I have two at the moment, my newest addition is being kept offline until the new dash update in november i think to see what the outcome is with the latest firmware and i just use my old one which i had to repair for the red ring of death is being played to death with backups and will be the test for the new dash update when its released :)
This is just a jist of whats in store but as i said before if you knew the actual drive you had more detail would flow from there :)
Pheww, think thats all for now lol

okay axxxo, you might be sorry you said ask away lol

my pal at work wanted me to look into this for him, so i have followed homesicks video on how to open th exbox, next question, how do i know what drive this is.

the info that i can make out is

1. manufactured Jan 2009
2. HW ver AOA"
3. FW ver 74850c
4. model no. DG 16D2S

what have i got????

just looked elsewhere, and it says if i see two yellow wires it is a lite on, well, thats what i see.
so where do i go from here to know if it is an easy one or the newer one that needs cutting?

cheers in advance

Last edited:
Well you'll be happy to know that you dont need to do any trace cuts or soldering!
Since theres no tuts here on how to do it ill refer you to these tuts which are very good and up to date. Video guide and all!
Code:
Created by ModTraders.co.uk

Code:
http://www.team-xecuter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51961&highlight=liteon+74850c+tutorial
Best that you follow those steps and i can help you then with any questions that you might have during the process.

Youll notice the ck3 probe 2 mentioned, either the probe 1 or 2 version will do this particular drive with the connectivity kit.

A compatible sata chipset is recommended, the via 6421 is what i use

Just make sure whatever you do during the flashing process that you dump the key a few times to make sure you get the same result. Using the probe and getting the drive tray in the correct position can be a pain but it can be done :)

Might seem like your spending alot of money getting the equipment you need but its worth it once you can do your own backups!

Best a luck wheelo I really hope it goes well for you and we'll get ya through it!!!

The latest version of jungleflasher

The video is by modtraders.co.uk which also sell the gear and may have the items needed at a cheaper price than ck3.co.uk so check them both out.

Heres a good pdf guide for jungleflasher to
Code:
http://jungleflasher.net/newtut.html

Last edited:
cheers for the reply axxxo, a few silly questions.

1. I use a laptop so cant instal a chipset, is there a USB type version?
2. i need this LT switch? Xecuter LT Switch – Easy Switch For Liteon 94850, 83850 & 93450 DVD Drives | Team Xecuter this i install on the drive and leave it there?
3. is there all i need in this bundle? Xecuter CK3 Lite + CK3 Probe + Unlock Kit + XT Adapter (Super Bundle Offer) - CK3.CO.UK

If i am totally off track, is it possible you could list all i need?
how long do this crowd take to deliver?
I am guessing about €50 for all the gear, and only leave the LT switch in, then keep all the rest if I ever need to do another (possibly for me next time).

Lastly (I am sure that you are glad to hear that), is it still the case that you cant use online functions once you have modded the XBox? my mate currently doesnt use the online features, but does have it connected via wireless.

Many thanks
Wheelo

Sorry wheelo there is no usb way of doing this.
Could you do it through a friends PC?
You dont need the LT switch or any of that other gear just the ck3 pro connectivity kit and either the probe 1 or 2 will do and of course the via 6421 card.
There may be a way around not having to use a PC but you would need to use the xbox360's power to power the drive while flashing as when you use the PC the drive is powered through that.
You would also need to find a via 6421 cardbus if your laptop has a cardslot in it. Its alot more hassle and it may not work either.
I havent read much about people using it to be honest so i wouldnt know too much about it.
I apologise that i didnt mention the chipset before it completely slipped my mind.
If you did have a friends PC to use they may have a serial port on their PC and you wouldnt even need the probe, also if they have sata their sata chipset may also be compatible so you might not even need the via 6421.
Just make sure you have the ck3 pro version of the connectivity kit as this has a serial port attached to it.

Heres a video on flashing with a laptop, but as i said i havent read or seen much around about this myself but it may work. He gives a detailed list of what he uses in the description.
Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyH8g0o7Ptg&feature=related

Finally another video of it being done through PC
Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQMT5mv3z_s

Last edited:
I am sure i probably would be able to get at a pc, i'll see what serial port is on it, and does it have sata.
so I should just go and get the bits and when they arrive I will come back with equally stupid questions LOL

wheelo.jpg

I am sure i probably would be able to get at a pc, i'll see what serial port is on it, and does it have sata.
so I should just go and get the bits and when they arrive I will come back with equally stupid questions LOL

wheelo.jpg

Exactly haha

Last edited:
That should do the job for you wheelo.
Its not uncommon for pc's too lag and freeze sometimes when doing this so if it happens dont panic, then you might not have any trouble at all.
The ck3 pro kit should come with a usb cable, its another option to dumping the key but doesnt always work, so the probe connected to the kit is the way to go or serial port if all else fails.
My old bucket is 10 or 11 years old that i do the flashes on and freezes constantly.
Somtimes i have to start it up with the 360 drive connected and switched on and other times without. Its very moody haha
The guide will get you started anyhow so any troubles during it let me know.
Ill say it again though, be confident that your key is good before erasing the drive, you dont want to see a load of FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF's for your key and then erase, we in big trouble then otherwise!!!
Sorry about the times im posting at, on the night shift this week!!:sleepingzzz:

edit: I see you've gotten the newer ck3 pro kit, excellent, i have the oldest one :(

Last edited:
ok guys and girls, the bits have arrived, so i am going to take it in little baby steps, first off i have to open up the pc and install the SATA card. i will have a go at this tomorrow, and get back then.
I have also read that i should NOT install the driver disc that came with this, is this right?
just a quick stupid question to let you know what you are in for in the next week or so, the CK3 v2 probe has two tips, the videos i have seen has only 1, will i do any damage by using the wrong one?
cheers

Last edited:
quick update, I have installed the sata card, but not the driver, awaiting your help (y)

one of the tuts says only use the port at the back, so i have trailed the cable out from the PC tower

via6421.jpg

I have also dissassembled the X-Box and have the DVD drive out of it.

I have beenfollowing the tutorial on youtube as reccommended above, I have set up the equipment as set out, but i am having a few problems.
1. I go into the CK3 tool to install the drivers, no problem, but when i go into settings(on the tool) and ask it to find usb port, it comes back with"No USB Device Found"

so I go into "C:Hardware/Device manager" on windows, I see the following,

screenfordevicemanager.png

as you can see at A the Executor CK3 is visible
at B I have the original driver knocked off
at C the Port IO32 is visible

any ideas with that? ? ?
also in that picture is the response i get when I double click on the Jungle Flasher. exe file (D)
any help appreciated.
Wheelo

Sorry wheelo i havent been on in a while.
Install the driver disc but you need to uninstall the driver folder manually so the computer doesnt reinstall it after reboot.
delete the VIAMRAID.SYS file out of your C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS
Make sure you have microsoft .net framework 2.0 installed
Download details: Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package (x86)
Ignore the usb question mark and portIO32 is installed good.
You use the green probe point in the R707 hole to extract the key.
Hopefully you should be on your way after this :)

ok axxxo, it is a little old and not connected to the net anymore, so i will install .net framework. i thought i had the driver thing sorted, but will try again, maybe friday, if you hear a scream, thats me.

I never let these things get the better of me.

I loaded the driver, renamed it, put in the ck3 tool driver, then attached the CK3 etc, the LED's light up, then attached the drive and the lights went out. if i knock off the power then knock the power back on, the lights light up for about 2 seconds, then go off. if i disconnect the drive, the LED's stay on as they should.
I then put the drive back into the XBox, plugged it in and connected to the TV, it powers up and the screen shows several options, the first being open drive, when i press A it says opening but nothing happens. if i press A again it say closing, but no sounds of anything happening.
have i somehow fecked the drive? it worked perfectly when i put it away on Wednesday. if so, what is the story?? new drive, new XBox?
last time i do someone a favour lol

Dont really understand what happened there wheelo, did you go through all the steps of jungleflasher?
Did it extract the key 5 times?
Once it extracted the key you should be given the option to autoload the ixtreme firmware and so on.
When you were finished the flash you would be given an option to save a log, can you post that if you can find it?

no, i was only in the process of setting up, I was still only playing with the computer side of things, the only thing that i can think of is that the probe slipped onto the drive and caused a short of some description, so the question i have is if a drive breaks for any reason (in normal circumstances) can you just buy a replacement or is it fecked?

did you plug the power connecter from the ck3 pro into the dvd drive upside down by any chance?
Im not sure if the dvd drive itself can be damaged from doing this or not ill have to look into it. Are all the lights on the ck3 kit working still?

Just checked, if the power cable from the ck3 to the drive was inserted the wrong way then itll screw up the drive.

You should check it again though, it might have been something else, hopefully a fault on the ck3 pro!

Last edited:
Back