Setting up cable box for friend.

jumbo81

Hi guys is it possible to set up a cable box at my house for a mate using my I.P Address. He does not have a computer so would not be able to set it up and use Filzilla client at his house?

If i bought another box would that have a different IP from the one i am using?

Would this work? If not is there any way of getting around this?

Yes, you can set up a box anywhere, and also run the box in different locations at different times
without any issues.

You can't have the same line running in two different locations at the same time or you will get cut off.

So if i bought another N Line from same person would that work bees? Also would the I.P be different from my box? If it is i take it i just put different IP into Filzilla?

You're getting confused between the IP address your isp gives you and the ones your router gives out internally basically what happens when you connect a device either via wifi or lan cable to your router it assigns an IP address normally 192.168.0.2 onwards you can specify what address you want a device to have if you like. When you connect to the Internet you have a unique address which is what a provider would see. I hope that makes sense basically don't worry about it.

So if i bought another N Line from same person would that work bees? Also would the I.P be different from my box? If it is i take it i just put different IP into Filzilla?

You can use more that one box in one location provided the network configuration on the boxes is set to DHCP ( each box will have a different Internal IP address issued by your ADSL router). However you will need a separate/different Nline or Cline for each box. So yes you can set you friend box at your place with his Nline, he will then be able to move the box to his place, connect to his network and everything should work if everything else is OK.

Back