Skybox f5s ( genuine ) but still getting error E001 after L093

bought a box
plugged it in and straight away E001

all yesterday messing with a Null cable an firmwares nothing, same E001 after L093

today i got it going with an old file that a chap posted that i found on these forum but was dated back to 2013 an was slow

as it was working i tried a new updated firmware an plugged in the USB an got a mismatch, restarted an back to square 1

someone please help

i know its genuine by the box it came in, scanned it an skybox.cc popped up

you can't go of the box with the skybox. when it boots up did it display the web address on the skybox boot screen. I have not seen an error E001 on any original skybox with problems, They usually just keep looping the L001 to L092 then restarting when they are malfunctioning. L093 is is sign that its not original and the wrong firmware as been flashed to it.

Your box is definitely a clone---the packaging is fake [as warned in posts on forum]
No genuine box gives your error readings.
Go back to the file you found that works or you will kill your box.
Reaper.

yea im using that now but now when ive the ethernet, hdmi an LNB cable plugged in, search for satellite 28.2 the box then reboots every 10 seconds, sometimes less?

shall i stick on usb stick or use laptop with null rs232 cable?

thanks for your help Reaper

---------- Post Merged at 01:14 AM ----------

Tried that .abs file an got same

gets to L093. 5-10 seconds later E001

Using an old firmware i found an now its working BUT
once i connect a sky cable it reboots, one its unplugged it does not reboot its fine.

unplugged the cable an removed the screw connector an made sure there was no earthing contacting but then it never showed a picture, said no signal?

any help?

Main chip - ALI 3601 HD
software version M6_HD_27_03_2013_0794

Don't no if this will help but mine done something similar...got to a certain number like 93 and stopped. .It was the coax bit that was to long and hitting the back of the tuner....i snipped abit off and hey presto....working

The firmware is not correct for your box.
This one may help.View attachment 13592
It is for the F3s but I've used it on numerous occasions on F5s.
Reaper.

placed that file on the memory stick, an goto upgrade an still get the
upgrade file is a mismatch

---------- Post Merged at 04:31 PM ----------

Don't no if this will help but mine done something similar...got to a certain number like 93 and stopped. .It was the coax bit that was to long and hitting the back of the tuner....i snipped abit off and hey presto....working
i have it working but noticed BBC one HD it started to reset everytime it rebooted to that channel
only BBC 1 + 2 HD, checked a few other FTA channels like channel 4 an it was fine

F5S_140326.abs Views: 3 Size: 4.00 MB">SKYBOX F5S_140326.abs
This was the last clone file from the clone file site
now defunct. Try at your own risk.
Reaper.[/QUOTE]

Hey Reaper, will this file also work for my clone Skybox F5? I wasn't completely sure I had a clone so I tried to install the latest FW from the Skybox site. The receiver loaded the new FW from USB, rebooted, Loaded to 93% and gave me an E0001 error. I have tried to use a RS232 to USB Modem cable and Skybox FW Updater Tool to reinstall the clone FW back in, but I can't get the Skybox to make a software connection back to the laptop. I have read that some receivers have the RS232 port disabled? Is the RS232 cable the only way to reinstall FW when I have a E0001? Or do I have to use a straight RS232 connector on both ends to make it communicate correctly? Not sure why the RS232 to USB wouldn't work? I hope you can shed some light on my situation. Cheers from the States! :-)

If using a laptop without the serial port then you need the RS232 null modem cable with the prolific usb adapter and don't forget to install drivers.
All details can be found in "Recover dead skybox using null modem cable" located in the stickies on this forum.
Reaper.

No the above mentioned firmware file is for the clone F5s.
I have clone files in my other pc so I will locate and upload for you soonest.
Reaper.

Try this.

View attachment 14466
Thank you so very much Reaper! [emoji2] I do have an RS232 to Prolific USB cable I bought years ago; but the laptop isn't able to talk to the Skybox using the FW Updater tool. It might be my port settings or something else, Im using Windows 10. I read some of those Prolific cables can be hit or miss and the RS232 port on the Skybox could be disabled. So I bought another Prolific USB to RS232 cable this weekend from a computer shop this past weekend, but keep having driver issues with that and the device can't start. I suppose I could try my Windows 7 PC with that cable to see what happens. But in the meantime, I found a post about a RS232 to USB cable that works pretty good for most members on here for Skybox, so I bought one from UK Ebay. It will take a week or two to make it to the US, I hope to have better luck with that. I now know that I have a clone box, no website address on the splash screen, the outer box is fake too. Canadian Ebay Sellers are a very sneeky sketchy lot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Windows 7 and 10 work ok with your lead and adapter but you must ensure drivers are installed and then you need to go into management and find the working port number .When you open the erom upgrade tool change the port number to correct one and all should work.
Reaper.

Windows 7 and 10 work ok with your lead and adapter but you must ensure drivers are installed and then you need to go into management and find the working port number .When you open the erom upgrade tool change the port number to correct one and all should work.
Reaper.
I greatly appreciate you helping me, Reaper. :-) I build computers and I've been around electronics and tech since the very early 80's, so this normally would be an easy fix for me; but it's been putting up a Chinese style battle. I did make sure the port numbers were the same, as well as the port speed, I might have to adjust those sliders down in the Advanced Settings, I haven't tried that yet to see. I won't be able to do anything until the weekend, I drive a semi-truck during the week around 4 or 5 states. Anyway, if nothing else, I still have the RS232 to USB cable coming from the UK to try. Is there a eprom updater tool version that works the best? I'm using the latest version from the Skybox site.[emoji2]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back