Skybox/openbox the truth

simonb

Pros to buying a skybox/openbox= CHEAP PRICE!

Cons= they are copied and genuine firmware dont work file mismatch.
they glitch,freeze,scramble all the time even with the best server in the world!
You pass through a none working hd channel they freeze up restart required by the plug.
Firmware is outdated and rubbish and desgned by a 5yr old!!
Cheap and nasty hardware used that can cause fires when left on.
NO SIGNAL ISSUES when more than 1 satbox connected to the same satdish even with their own feeds due to wrong voltage to satdish lnb.
Rubbish epg thats only 5 day epg if you can get it to work most time it wont download new epg.
With the new v8 version iptv most dont work and the internet feed will only feed iptv OR sat not both at the same time poor design!!
YOU BEEN WARNED DONT WASTE YOUR CASH!!

So, if your stupid enough to not do your homework and buy off ebay, you COULD end up with a cloned box - trainers, footy tops, watches - the list of copied things on the go is endless....

they glitch,freeze,scramble all the time even with the best server in the world!

Really? Im one of the fussiest c*nts going, and Im happy with my nline - I assume your provider has of course the best server in the world ? Did you take his word for that?

You pass through a none working hd channel they freeze up restart required by the plug.
Here's a tip - spend 30 seconds learning how to amend your own channel list - or download a channel list that only has working channels on it.

Obviously has insider information the rest of us aren't privvy to.......

And Technika Freeview boxes etc arent cheap n nasty ?
I assume you of course have links to news stories of all these boxes that have caught fire?

NO SIGNAL ISSUES when more than 1 satbox connected to the same satdish even with their own feeds due to wrong voltage to satdish lnb.
Lol What absolute rot - 2 boxes connected here (I still have my $ky sub)

Rubbish epg thats only 5 day epg if you can get it to work most time it wont download new epg.
With a tv viewing box, I tend to rate how good the picture quality that Im watching is over how good an EPG is or isnt, but each to their own.....

With the new v8 version iptv most dont work and the internet feed will only feed iptv OR sat not both at the same time poor design!!

I dont know about firmware being designed by 5 year olds (and I assume he means CODED), but the only 5 year old I see here is the one with the absolutely shocking spelling and grammar.....

Well thank you for that thouroughly and insightful review......

Last edited:
im confused...what model of skybox are you slating as i have an f5s and have not encountered any of the problems your talking about and i only paid £39 for it... my dad has an open box and again, none of the problems on his.

The older skyboxes f5s dont seem as bad but are still well below par. f3 was perfect but skybox stopped support for them no doubt they will do the same for f5s because thats the norm to get you upgrade. openboxes are total rubbish v5s the so called renamed f5s are the biggest bag of sh1t i have ever come across over the past 4 years.
Justblaze you must of dropped on lucky or you think freeze is the norm??
Take a look at the skybox/openbox threads about the issues may people are having with them! we cannot all be wrong.
VU is by far the best on the market but alot of money to spend but the best i have used, but blade for the price is way better than glitchboxes sorry skyboxes or are they called closedboxes this week?
As for v8 whats iptv? if you want iptv dont buy v8s.
I need another door stop starview box is getting tatty maybe a f5s/v5s will do the job nice!!

Last edited:
Skybox f3 is the worst one that's why I sold mine it kept on freezing whenever I exit epg or channel list but the remote was outstanding it worked for 15 months before I sold it. The picture quality is same as Blade 5000s

@simonb
Seems you have a ha**on for these boxes mate?Maybe youve come across many clones which are very troublesome.Or your using the wrong server.But what you describe sounds a bit over the top.They are what they are and genuine do a pretty good job for the price.

My f3 worked brill but that was well before hd went when there was support for it still. then i went over to VU/blade 7000s.
I have tried various since then but my opinion blade 5000s smashes glitchbox/openbox into the ground.
But what works for one maybe not so good for another. but there is a mass of people with NO SIGNAL or FREEZING issues with f5s/v5s

Yeh i guess i must be one the lucky ones as i have read quite a bit about the problems they have..... To be honest , mine NEVER goes scrambled or freezes only the odd time my server has problems and he always informs me... there are a few things that annoy me like the epg, the loss of time and the fact it takes like 2 seconds to change a channel.. ohh and recently when i exit out my faves into all satelite some channels have moved :(

I was new to all this when i first got it and basically wanted to get the job done on the cheapest pay out possible... but i think if alls still good after christmas i will be looking at taking a step up... dont have a clue what next box to buy but ill work it out lol

With Skybox you get what you pay for but having said that, I have no problem with mine---set up correctly and operating across from 30w to 42e.
Hardly any glitching [unless Murdoch gang play around] A good solid server and working very well. I also have more boxes working at friends houses ranging from F3s to dreams and all working great. most faults occur due to human error and not all people are technical in their thinking so like I said ---cheap but treated nice and set up correctly then they do the job that they were designed for. No one forced you or anyone else to purchase a Skybox so if you feel hard done by, have your opinion and leave others to their own.
Reaper.

@bobless look at the skybox threads all getting same issues as you say for the price they do the job just about LOL at wrong server hermmm no.

@bobless look at the skybox threads all getting same issues as you say for the price they do the job just about LOL at wrong server hermmm no.

No i said do a good job for the price.Do you really think thats a good analysis?I dont think so.There is many variables for issues with boxes(note boxes)not just skybox.How many skyboxes have been sold?How many returns/complaints?How many happy?I would say the later outway the former.
BTW i have no affiliation with skybox for the record.

Excuse me reaper im not forcing my opinions on no one. I started the thread to confirm to other members that are having the same issues that its not user/server issues in some cases.
6 years in various forms i think i can have an opinion :)

---------- Post Merged at 10:21 PM ----------

@bobless yes its a fair analysis on skyboxes/openboxes as stated i have used a fair few boxes in the past 6 years and v5s are by far the worst.
My personal opinion that is as i stated what works good for some may not be good for others 99% that is looking at the skybox thread!

Last edited:

Fair enough but to quote this on your own experience does not give a fair analysis unless you are the main importer/distributor of them which im sure your not.

bobless read the skybox thread just take a second to look at the iisues ALL THE SAME issues.
Have you slapped a volt meter across the lnd when a skybox is connected to a dish? way way out!!

The only advantage Skybox/Openbox has over Blade 5000s is when you watch a FTA channel for more then 15 it dosent scramble and Skybox remote is more stable the Blade 5000s

true about the remotes but have you ever tried a cloud ibox remote? WOW u may as well sit 15cm from the box it might work then

I have a skybox F3, and use it with very few problems at all, I then moved it upstairs because of the poor now/next EPG and got an octagon again with few problems. I think the tendency to play around with settings/firmware, etc. is probably one of the main causes of failure, that and of course the necessity of changing the channel list frequently.

Is file mismatch on firmware update on Skybox/Openbox due to user error? NOPE the satbox is a clone box and needs sending back.
NO SIGNAL on certain channels on a skybox/openbox is not a server issue. Its due to skybox/openbox putting out the wrong voltage to the satdish lnb. unplug all other connected satboxes from the satdsh if channels return then you have this issue. People do sell an inline coax fix for it but this is only a skybox/openbox issue.

Back