Sony Vaio Model PCG 61611M - HELP!

Vicky

Hello all,

Huge apologies in advance for rubbish tech knowledge ...

I have a Sony Viao laptop - just over a year old - model PCG 61611M. It was working fine at lunchtime (I was on the internet looking at toys for my daughter's birthday & listening to music on you tube) and I simply closed the lid and left the house for a couple of hours. I've come back to it now to finish what I was doing, assuming I would just re-open the lid and continue only to find the screen is black and it is silent - no hard drive, fan etc sounds..The only light on it is the green power button. I've switched it off and have plugged it into the mains to see if recharging it would help but no change. When I power it up it makes a very brief 'whirring' sound as if it might start up but nothing.

I've had a look on the Sony website and for some reason it can't identify my particular model?

If anyone can throw some info my way I'd be chuffed.

Many thanks

Sounds like it could be in a suspended sleep? Remove the battery for a few moments then reinsert. When connected to the mains, try holding down the power button for 10 - 15 seconds then release it. Press the power button as normal to see if it will boot.

Last edited:
Hi Gman496

I'm still awake and still wittering..:willy nilly:

Have tried your suggestion but no joy but huge thanks for your quick reply.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

Hi Gman496

I'm still awake and still wittering..:willy nilly:

Have tried your suggestion but no joy but huge thanks for your quick reply.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

You never mentioned which operating system you are using. This is a known issue with Vista but if it's just over a year old I'm guessing your on Win 7?

Working again...then sleep!

You never mentioned which operating system you are using. This is a known issue with Vista but if it's just over a year old I'm guessing your on Win 7?

Yes you are right, Windows 7.

I left it overnight without the battery in and then tried restarting etc and hey ho it worked...for about 10 minutes. What appears to be happening is when it goes into sleep mode, it doesn't want to get up again (not dissimilar to me I guess! ;) When it goes into sleep mode I have to leave it for about 20 minutes and then try a number of times to come back on. It tends to restart but on some occasions it resumes from where I left off. I'm using it now and I can't see anything out of the norm on my screen - eg system error messages etc. The battery icon is full, wireless is working, the fan seems to be coming on & off as normal & I seem to be able to move it around etc. Once I've sent this message I'm going to see if anything obvious occurs as it goes into sleep mode and will keep you posted..

Yes you are right, Windows 7.

I left it overnight without the battery in and then tried restarting etc and hey ho it worked...for about 10 minutes. What appears to be happening is when it goes into sleep mode, it doesn't want to get up again (not dissimilar to me I guess! ;) When it goes into sleep mode I have to leave it for about 20 minutes and then try a number of times to come back on. It tends to restart but on some occasions it resumes from where I left off. I'm using it now and I can't see anything out of the norm on my screen - eg system error messages etc. The battery icon is full, wireless is working, the fan seems to be coming on & off as normal & I seem to be able to move it around etc. Once I've sent this message I'm going to see if anything obvious occurs as it goes into sleep mode and will keep you posted..

You should also disable the sleep option in the power options, restart & enable it again if you want & see if that clears its sleepy habit ;)

Problem Resolved

Hey,

I just wanted to update this thread now that the problem with my Sony Vaio notepad (VPCEE3E0E) has been resolved. It is so annoying when you find a thread that reads just like your own problems and then once the fault is sorted, nobody feeds back, and so you are left still scratching your head.

The problem did appear to be temporarily resolved once I reset the battery etc but it didn't last. The laptop kept continually going into sleep/hibernate and then wouldn't come back on. I took it to a recommended independent computer repair shop in town who did some diagnostic tests etc and said that there was a dry joint on the motherboard. They have now run the board over a solder bath and soldered another part (not sure which I'm afraid) and everything is back up and running fine. The job was all done in-house and only took a morning to do at a cost of £70.00. (Much cheaper & quicker then Comet who quoted me £79.99 just for it to be sent away and looked (parts and additional labour not inc) at with a turnaround of approx 7 days)

Hope this info is useful for anyone else in the same situation and thanks to G for his help via this site.:)

Great to hear you eventually got it sorted and that you are pleased with the outcome.

We at Techkings really appreciate and commend your followup post (y) You are so right in your comments about problems, once sorted, they are rarely closed off in threads such as this.

Thank you again for taking the time to update us ;)

-

Hey,

They have now run the board over a solder bath and soldered another part (not sure which I'm afraid) and everything is back up and running fine. The job was all done in-house and only took a morning to do at a cost of £70.00. (Much cheaper & quicker then Comet who quoted me £79.99 just for it to be sent away and looked (parts and additional labour not inc) at with a turnaround of approx 7 days)

Hope this info is useful for anyone else in the same situation and thanks to G for his help via this site.:)
Hi ,
i have same problem , can you tell me which component is unsoldered ?
many thanks

Back