starview server busted, end of Starview.

potters01

Three men have been arrested as part of an investigation by Derbyshire police into television fraud.

Officers executed a warrant at a house in Fernwood Close, Littleover, Derby on Tuesday February 2nd 2011.

The warrant was part of an investigation into a conspiracy to defraud Virgin Media by enabling access to TV content without payment.

Detective Sergeant Graham Prince, of Pear Tree CID, said: “We have been working closely with Virgin Media as part of an investigation into TV fraud. It is alleged that this is a key part of an operation to defraud Virgin Media.”

Malcolm Davies, Virgin Media’s head of fraud and security said: “We take this matter extremely seriously and will continue to work closely with all the police forces throughout the UK to prosecute individuals connected with this type of TV fraud.

“We urge anyone with information about people supplying or using illicit equipment to receive Virgin Media TV channels to continue to call our confidential hotline on 0800 096 7800.”

A 47-year-old man, a 33-year-old man and a 60-year-old man were arrested. Following interview they were all charged with conspiracy to defraud.

They appeared in court this morning, the two older men were bailed, the younger remanded into police custody

whats the reference for the above?....
people are getting arrested all the time....if the above post refers to the current situation we are having...its gonna be bye bye starview!

Code:
http://www.capitalfm.com/eastmids/on-air/news-travel/local-news/television-fraud-charges/

well my box has gone all together, but with refs to the above, that could be just a tip off that some one/ones using these box's and got caught surely

At the moment we dont know if the above is connected to the server been down.

Hopefully not, and you`s are all back up and running soon.

As soon as we hear anything we will post it on TK straight away.

nagra 3 has been cracked and its on its way LOL

yeh right wish it was true, looks like starview are going bust yet again... looks like i have to take to the PC for weekend football

Pretty certain the 3 men arrested has nothing to do with the sever going down. probably sellin boxes at a market or something like that. I do think SV should be more pro active in telling consumers the problems they are having, instead of everyone second guessing. Im certain they can get info out to these forums easily and quickly.

Ste

Help us to hel ourselves

I’ve been reading through these messages and I’d like to inject my thoughts
I don’t normally actively participate in these forums, only read. If did I’d get the FACT people after me again. So for those FACT people reading this, raid my house again and you’ll find nothing.
I know people who have these boxes and as far as I can make out they have been active for more that 6 months.
I may be wrong but, the way this scam works surely is with a decoder and some software reading and relaying the codes to decrypt the signal for everyone, similar to how VM do it when you subscribe.

The arrest mentioned on the Capital FM website on balance is coincidence, if these guys where doing the decoding then this scam would have lasted weeks not months. If it his them then VM have allowed them to continue, with the increased purchases of FTA boxes then everybody loses money when they go off. People are then put off buying into the next VM scam

If the decoding is coming from China then why aren’t the FTA engineers resolving the issue or at least giving the moderators of these forums information to stop the Chinese whispers. If SV aren’t responsible for this then why aren’t EVox selling the FTA decoders?
In summary release the equipment and we’ll do it ourselves. Then lets see if FACT can switch us all off. Rebel without a cause, I subscribe to Sky who own FACT, you can’t have everything. I personally can’t stand VM even for free. If someone hacks Sky then I’ll be interested.

i agree i think the connection with the severs being down, and the 3 arrested has no connection lol no punt tended , for a start V.M would want the world to know that starview server is down and gone for good, all V.M have done is shout out load about 3 arrested in DERBY, some of the sellers are putting themselves at risk by charging extra for a pre-modded box's, then selling them on e-bay, which i think personally is stupid

I feel people are just guessing at the mo?

So let’s wait until we hear some defiant news!

regards
Singhie

more news on the story

Code:
w w w.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/news/Trio-accused-massive-fraud-TV-contracts/article-3188145-detail/article.html]THREE men have been charged with defrauding TV giant Virgin Media of up to £40m

THREE men have been charged with defrauding TV giant V88g8n Media of up to £40m.

The trio have been accused of importing 44,000 digital receivers which could be made to pick up channels without paying a fee to V88g8n.

The Crown Prosecution Service said the boxes would be sent electronic messages from a house in Littleover which would enable them to get the channels.

A Ginn*v*n, M*lvyn H*w*rd and J*ng Y*u appeared at Southern Derbyshire Magistrates' Court yesterday, charged with conspiring to defraud V88g8n Media of TV subscription services between February 1, 2010, and February 3 this year.

All three were arrested during a police raid at a home in Fernwood Close, Littleover, on Tuesday.

Andrea Charity, prosecuting, said the victim of the fraud was V88g8n Media, which suffered a potential loss of £40m.

She said: "It is a complex fraud. V88g8n Media provide digital receivers on a subscription basis in the UK."

She said 44,000 of these boxes had been imported with the sole use of obtaining channels without paying.

G*inn*van, of Fernwood Close, Littleover, and H*ward, of Stoney Lane, Spondon, were given bail with the condition not to contact their co-accused.

You, who gave his address as the International Hotel, Burton Road, was refused bail and remanded in custody.

All three men will appear again at Derby Crown Court on April 28.

Malcolm Davies, V88g8n Media's head of fraud and security, said: "We take this matter extremely seriously and will continue to work closely with all the police forces throughout the UK to prosecute individuals.

"We urge anyone with information about people supplying or using illicit equipment to receive V88g8n Media TV channels to call our confidential hotline

we just have to play the waiting game and we will know more, in the meantime sit tight and just pray they come back on

or they will be alot of unhappy customers lol

That does not mean starview is shutdown. They might be selling the equipment only.

erm did you read the article.... This bit

The Crown Prosecution Service said the boxes would be sent electronic messages from a house in Littleover which would enable them to get the channels.

Ok guys, i dont wanna be 1 of them scaremongerers thats starts all the rumours about the end of the world, but before i even bought my starview7 i used to watch the football on this site
Code:
http://www.atdhe.net/
which i remember was connected in some way to ustream, check it out and let me know if this is why weve all lost our starviews? hope not cause i only had it 3weeks? still cheaper than vermin eh? lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a little bit of an update, it does appear these are the poeple running the servers, but being done for importing them which I cant see cause there totally legal I bought mine from a shop but it does say the the codes where being sent from the house of one of the arrested men

thisisderbyshire.co.uk/news/Trio-accused-massive-fraud-TV-contracts/article-3188145-detail/article.html

THREE men have been charged with defrauding TV giant Virgin Media of up to £40m.

The trio have been accused of importing 44,000 digital receivers which could be made to pick up channels without paying a fee to Virgin.

Anthony Ginnivan, Melvyn Howard and Jong You appeared at Southern Derbyshire Magistrates' Court yesterday, charged with conspiring to defraud Virgin Media of TV subscription services between February 1, 2010, and February 3 this year.

All three were arrested during a police raid at a home in Fernwood Close, Littleover, on Tuesday.

Andrea Charity, prosecuting, said the victim of the fraud was Virgin Media, which suffered a potential loss of £40m.

She said: "It is a complex fraud. Virgin Media provide digital receivers on a subscription basis in the UK."

She said 44,000 of these boxes had been imported with the sole use of obtaining channels without paying.

Ginnivan, of Fernwood Close, Littleover, and Howard, of Stoney Lane, Spondon, were given bail with the condition not to contact their co-accused.

You, who gave his address as the International Hotel, Burton Road, was refused bail and remanded in custody.

All three men will appear again at Derby Crown Court on April 28.

Last edited:
Hi All,

Since my SV box has been down its has said "IP Error" when it normally says "Connected". Just arrived home today and for the first time it now says "connectING". Still says no signal but at least its trying to connect now, rather than before when it said IP Error. Maybe this is a sign that Starview server is back on again and all we need is a Carling 1.05 to download to get "CONNECTED"

I was going to buy a Kryptview box this weekend as I believe they have no problems. Might hold now just in case.

Thoughts anyone!!!!

Back