system restore fail

Hi all having trouble with system restore.when i go to system restore its turned on but when i go to look for a restore point it says none has been created so i go and create one and that seems to work BUT when i go back in to system restore to look for the restore point i created it say no restore points have been created.Capture 3.JPGCapture 4.JPGCapture 5.JPGCapture 6.JPG

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Run a scan for malware.

If you have an infection it can cause system restore problems/failures, also some antivirus program can cause the same issue, disable your antivirus and try doing the system restore again.

Down load this program and do a full scan.

Code:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/

I never use the windows restore but I was able to find this so far:

You can try the following steps, to fix the issue:

Check whether the Volume Shadow copy services is started.
To do this:
1. Go to start, type services.msc in start search box and press enter.
2. Now, check Volume shadow copy is running.

Perform a sfc scan.
The System File Checker tool scans system files and replaces incorrect versions of the system files by using the correct versions.

To run the System File Checker tool, follow these steps:
  1. Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
  2. Right-click cmd in the Programs list, and then click Run as administrator.
    If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue

3. At the command prompt, the following line, and then press ENTER: sfc /scannow
When the scan is complete, test to see whether the issue that you are experiencing is resolved.

You might give this a go. I will continue searching in the mean time.

Recently, we have been seeing a large number of threads from the forum that system restore points will disappear after windows 7 reboot.
When the issue happens, one or more of the following events could be logged:

Event ID 22
Volume Shadow Copy Service error: A critical component required by the Volume Shadow Copy service is not registered. This might happened if an error occurred during Windows setup or during installation of a Shadow Copy provider. The error returned from CoCreateInstance on class with CLSID {e579ab5f-1cc4-44b4-bed9-de0991ff0623} and Name IVssCoordinatorEx2 is [0x80040154, Class not registered].

Event ID 8193
Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance. hr = 0x80040154, Class not registered.

Event ID 25
The shadow copies of volume C: were deleted because the shadow copy storage could not grow in time. Consider reducing the IO load on the system or choose a shadow copy storage volume that is not being shadow copied."

After investigation, we found this problem occurs due to several possible causes, we can use one of the following methods to resolve it:

1) Increase the size of shadow storage on the drive you are having issue with.

A. Open a command prompt with administrator priviledge

B. Type Vssadmin list shadowstorage

C. Take note of what the shadow storage allocation is on the drive you're having issues with.

D. Change the allocation by using the Vssadmin command, syntax: vssadmin resize shadowstorage /On=C: /For=C: /Maxsize=1G (where Maxsize=the amount of disk space you've allocated to System Restore points, you should increase it larger)

E. After increasing the size and rebooting,

2) In some scenarios, 3rd party applications like Diskeeper can cause it. Please disable it to see if it can resolve the problem.

3) This problem can also be caused by corrupted ACLs for pagefiles.sys and hiberfil.sys. Please disable pagefile and hiberfil on your system, do a reboot to verify that these files have been deleted. Create restore points and verify that restore points persist across reboot. You can enable pagefile and hiberfil later.

4) Dual boot with Windows XP is also one of the possible causes. Please read the article KB926185 (No restore points are available when you use Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008-based operating systems in a dual-boot configuration together with an earlier Windows operating system) for more details.

The following forum links are for your reference.

Windows 7 deletes all system restore points on reboot - Microsoft Community

Restore points are automaticly deleted after restart

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprogeneral/thread/60701b85-7f61-4207-b82b-1143f5971cac

Run a scan for malware.

If you have an infection it can cause system restore problems/failures, also some antivirus program can cause the same issue, disable your antivirus and try doing the system restore again.

Down load this program and do a full scan.

Code:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/

Done full system scan with malwerebytes and avast no malwere or virus

I never use the windows restore but I was able to find this so far:

You can try the following steps, to fix the issue:

Check whether the Volume Shadow copy services is started.
To do this:
1. Go to start, type services.msc in start search box and press enter.
2. Now, check Volume shadow copy is running.

Perform a sfc scan.
The System File Checker tool scans system files and replaces incorrect versions of the system files by using the correct versions.

To run the System File Checker tool, follow these steps:
  1. Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
  2. Right-click cmd in the Programs list, and then click Run as administrator.
    If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue

3. At the command prompt, the following line, and then press ENTER: sfc /scannow
When the scan is complete, test to see whether the issue that you are experiencing is resolved.

You might give this a go. I will continue searching in the mean time.

iv done this and it said it fixed a few issues but system restore sill not working.
the Volume Shadow copy services is started

Ok iv done this but its not increasing the size of allocated shadow space only increasing shadow storage space and system restore still not working.Capture 7.JPGCapture 8.JPG

---------- Post Merged at 08:43 PM ----------

Recently, we have been seeing a large number of threads from the forum that system restore points will disappear after windows 7 reboot.
When the issue happens, one or more of the following events could be logged:

Event ID 22
Volume Shadow Copy Service error: A critical component required by the Volume Shadow Copy service is not registered. This might happened if an error occurred during Windows setup or during installation of a Shadow Copy provider. The error returned from CoCreateInstance on class with CLSID {e579ab5f-1cc4-44b4-bed9-de0991ff0623} and Name IVssCoordinatorEx2 is [0x80040154, Class not registered].

Event ID 8193
Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance. hr = 0x80040154, Class not registered.

Event ID 25
The shadow copies of volume C: were deleted because the shadow copy storage could not grow in time. Consider reducing the IO load on the system or choose a shadow copy storage volume that is not being shadow copied."

After investigation, we found this problem occurs due to several possible causes, we can use one of the following methods to resolve it:

1) Increase the size of shadow storage on the drive you are having issue with.

A. Open a command prompt with administrator priviledge

B. Type Vssadmin list shadowstorage

C. Take note of what the shadow storage allocation is on the drive you're having issues with.

D. Change the allocation by using the Vssadmin command, syntax: vssadmin resize shadowstorage /On=C: /For=C: /Maxsize=1G (where Maxsize=the amount of disk space you've allocated to System Restore points, you should increase it larger)

E. After increasing the size and rebooting,

2) In some scenarios, 3rd party applications like Diskeeper can cause it. Please disable it to see if it can resolve the problem.

3) This problem can also be caused by corrupted ACLs for pagefiles.sys and hiberfil.sys. Please disable pagefile and hiberfil on your system, do a reboot to verify that these files have been deleted. Create restore points and verify that restore points persist across reboot. You can enable pagefile and hiberfil later.

4) Dual boot with Windows XP is also one of the possible causes. Please read the article KB926185 (No restore points are available when you use Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008-based operating systems in a dual-boot configuration together with an earlier Windows operating system) for more details.

The following forum links are for your reference.

Windows 7 deletes all system restore points on reboot - Microsoft Community

Restore points are automaticly deleted after restart

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprogeneral/thread/60701b85-7f61-4207-b82b-1143f5971cac
How do i disable pagefile and hiberfil

How do i disable pagefile and hiberfil

The same location you were in your first screen shot, but click on the "Advanced" tab, then "Setting" in the performance section, and then the "Advanced" tab again. You will see the page file area in the bottom section of the window.

As for the hiberfil.sys, I am gonna cheat and refer you here:
Code:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/15140/what-is-hiberfil.sys-and-how-do-i-delete-it/

Done everything suggested here and still the same no restore points,:( seems to be a fairly common problem but ill keep on digging

Back