toshiba laptop boot problems

ppete1969

hello to all this is a right mad one i have had this toshiba laptop for 2 years now and never had any probs with it .but yesterday wen i turned it on and got to the boot up bit were i put my password in i get to put in 1 or 2 of them in and it just locks ups if you are quick i can get 3 or 4 of them in .now my 1st thought was that it was the keybord but i no it is not that as it seems to give me a few seconds before it locks up i can get to my bios by pressing the f2 key so i no its not the keybord. i have got a password on for it starting up then another one for my hard drive and one more wen windows starts up .i can not get past the 1st password .i just don`t have any idea what would make this laptop do that i have never heard of this problem before and if any one would no its you guys on hear .
thanks for any help pete..........

Can you log into your bios and reset the bios to default,save and exit. See what happens,get rid of the password starting up and hard drive, nevermind the windows one for now you obviously can't get into it to remove it.

Sent from my HTC One X+

hi yer thanks for that .but wen i get into my biso it locks up so i can`t do anything it seam to olny work for 2 of 3 sec so i can`t take them off i just don`t no what can be wrong with it i would love to hear any more ideas that you have ...thanks for your time ..pete

Before I suggest removing the cmos battery, can you reach the advanced options on boot up to restore to last known good configuration? Are you seeing any blue screen at all after it freezes?

Sent from my HTC One X+

hi yer thanks for geting back to me .no i can`t do anything i get to put the 1st few leters of the password in sometime none at all but sometimes i get to put all the password in for the 1st time and if i have push f2 i get to go to the bios screen then it will not do anything it seems to be a time thing sometimes i get 2 or 3 seconds sometime longer but not by much and wen and if you get to go to the next screen it will not do anything it is just mad i don`t get it at all.. all the best pete ........

---------- Post Merged at 11:27 PM ----------

sorry yer i don`t get any blue screens at all wen it locks up it stays on the password screen waiting for me to put it in ..thanks pete...

Last edited:
I had a Fujitsu laptop once that had a similar problem, there was a crack in the motherboard and if i put too much pressure on the keyboard or moved it at all it locked up.

I would try removing the cmos battery and shorting the connections to reset the bios to default,that would probably be the easiest thing to do before troubleshooting anything else,if you type the make and model of your laptop into YouTube,follwed by remove cmos battery, you should find a detailed video on how to do it.
Another thing to try, if the boot options are set this way, is to try boot from a windows DVD and try a repair, but if the bios are causing this problem it wouldn't do any good.

Sent from my HTC One X+

hi yer thanks for getting back to me i have now had it all apart and removed the cmos battery and reset the bios it now has no password for boot up but still has one for the hard drive .but it still has the same prob it only lets me put in 2 or 3 letters of the password before it locks up and the same wen i press the f2 it still locks ups its doing my head in now thanks a lot pete......

Sorry for the delay in reply, there could be something more serious wrong with it but if you can get into the bios without it freezing,change the boot order to the CD/DVD drive and try booting from a windows DVD through it and try either a repair or system restore.

Sent from my HTC One X+

hi yer thanks for getting back to me i can get to my biso but wen i get there it locks up so i can`t change anything is there i just don`t get it at all m8 ..thanks pete

It does not sound good for the board. But you could try removing the hard drive and then putting bootable dvd in as suggested, as then it should try booting to the DVD after not recognising a hard drive. Then depending on the result will determine your next step, but I fear the worst.

PS It would not do any harm to attach an external keyboard just incase it is a keyboard problem, at least it will give you 100% clarification.

jodav :)

Last edited:
I would try boot from a bootable cd, if it freezes up whilst its booting from cd, I would suggest open up the laptop take off the heatsink clean the processor with alcohol and remove all the old thermal paste both from the processor and heatsink, apply new thermal paste to processor and refit heatsink see if that resolves issues

Back