Satellite Totally new to this

hi, I have been reading all over the internet regarding a zgemma box but this seems like the most knowledgeable place.
Basically I am starting from scratch with no prior knowledge, what I want to know is how do I get set up.
What box is best? Zgemma, dreambox etc?
What do I need to receive Sky and/or Virgin?
Is it possible to set it up myself and how? Im not a technophobe, but obviously would need instructions
I have heard something about paying for a code? where would I get this from?

I am sure you have all been asked these questions a million times, apologies for that. But if anyone can assist, I would be very grateful.
Thanks

Hi
How easy it is depends on your level of tech stuff really .
I find it quite easy but others don't.
So basically you will be best having a good understanding of FTP as you may need to transfer files across.
But there's a few guys on here who have created "backups" of thier boxes with nearly everything setup and ready so all you would need to do is update your box with thier backup and buy a 12 month gift (channels)
Do you have a cable or satellite connection into your house if cable a popular box is zgemma h2h and if just satellite zgemma h2s.

Hi
How easy it is depends on your level of tech stuff really .
I find it quite easy but others don't.
So basically you will be best having a good understanding of FTP as you may need to transfer files across.
But there's a few guys on here who have created "backups" of thier boxes with nearly everything setup and ready so all you would need to do is update your box with thier backup and buy a 12 month gift (channels)
Do you have a cable or satellite connection into your house if cable a popular box is zgemma h2h and if just satellite zgemma h2s.

I have no connection into my house, apart from my broadband/phone. Does that mean its a non starter?
Thanks for the reply

If you have a vm connection ie internet only then your fine just buy a splitter to split the feed going to router to go to the box and you'll need an rf adapter

If you have a vm connection ie internet only then your fine just buy a splitter to split the feed going to router to go to the box and you'll need an rf adapter

Thanks for the reply. Can you give me a list of what I need to buy/do to get this up and running. I dont know if I need a dish or will just the box do. As far as I know now I need a box(recommendations welcome), the splitter you mention and the code(12 month pass), anything else?
Is there a how to guide somewhere on the forum for someone new like myself?
Thanks again.

You don't need a sky dish you can just disable the sky tuner on the zgemma h2h. Have a look here for setting up vm only http://www.techkings.org/zgemma-star-h-2h/94055-biohead-image-openatv-5-3-vskin-cable-only.html

---------- Post Merged at 05:17 PM ----------

And request a vm sub from here http://www.techkings.org/general-cable-tv/59334-recommend-good-cable-pay-server-request-only.html

Much appreciated. Will read that now.
Can I just ask one more thing, so far I need a box, rf, splitter and of course the code. Is that the only equipment I need?
Also I read somewhere that I can only get Virgin if I had a virgin internet? so if I dont have a dish and dont have Virgin internet, what exactly can I get through the box?
Thanks once again

Looks like a reply disappeared :whacko:

If I do not have a dish and do not Have Virgin internet, what exactly will I get through the box? Sorry im just confused as to how it works.

So far I know I need a box(not sure which one), rf adapter and a splitter and the code. Is there any other equipment that I need.

Sorry I can't help you with the virgin side of it ive never had cable I didn't realise 1 cable from virgin did the broadband and tv.
But you don't have a satellite cable so that's definitely out of the question.

If I do not have a dish and do not Have Virgin internet, what exactly will I get through the box? Sorry im just confused as to how it works.

So far I know I need a box(not sure which one), rf adapter and a splitter and the code. Is there any other equipment that I need.

If you don't have a vm feed or dish then you can't do anything. Post in here Satellite Installation for installing a dish and get the h2s

So I need Virgin internet or a dish, ok I will work and that and come back. What is best to get, VM or sky. If im going to do it I dont care if I get the dish or VM. Thanks for your help

Last edited:
Vm because you get the hd channels but you'll need a live feed vm Internet only will do. If your in a long contract with your current broadband provider you may have to pay an early termination fee so it maybe more cost-effective to go for sat.

---------- Post Merged at 06:12 PM ----------

Plus the h2h has both sat and cable so you can have both

Vm because you get the hd channels but you'll need a live feed vm Internet only will do. If your in a long contract with your current broadband provider you may have to pay an early termination fee so it maybe more cost-effective to go for sat.

---------- Post Merged at 06:12 PM ----------

Plus the h2h has both sat and cable so you can have both

Its up at the beginning of June so good timing. Just one more thing, can I buy the box ready to go? do you know of anywhere that does this.
Thanks again mate, I appreciate your time.

Will do mate, thanks very much. Is the star H.2 the best one to get? Thats the last question I promise, no doubt when I receive the box and get set up I will have another hundred for you.
Thanks again

Hello again, I have been given a dynavision Picasso plus by someone who has sky(not official sky) in his house and he uses a dynavision box and a dish. Will I be able to use this instead of a zgemma box? thanks

H2h not the h2 there's also the edison mini BeakyFord has one you'll be best asking him about that

Hello again mate. Thought I would quote you as you helped me out before. My father in law has a spare Dynavision picasso , could this work to recieve the sky channels.
I have already sorted out a dish, unfortuneately Virgin is a no go as for some reason they are not in my road.
My father in law has sky and virgin(not official) coming through his other dynavision box but a company set that up for him and their prices are not worth it for me.
Thanks

Back