usals

fozzer

Hi I would like to set my satellite with usals my motor is digipower motor GS-2100 my dish elevation is 37, my motor elevation is 34. and the other is 54 I am in the north west I put my location into dish pointer and put them in to the receiver but it doesnt have signal I have to drive dish to find signal I set up to thor 0.8w any help much appreciated in advance

I would imagine you would need to manually move the motor to zero, reset it , Then put your details into the box, Send the dish to 0.8w and then with a sat meter tune in 0.8 west by undoing the motor bolts slightly then try to peak your signal by moving the motor east and west. Once happy tighten the bolts then try to peak the signal by moving the dish up or down. Then do the same on 42 east and 30 west and try to fine tune it.Keep rechecking till your happy. Before doing all that get a spirit level out and check your pole is plum otherwise you will be wasting your time.

put you address in here and select your motor
DishPointer - Align your satellite dish

if your mast pole is vertically plumb , go to zero on the motor with your dish and motor centered on the pole. then as long as your motor settings are correct 34* elevation and Lat 53* then the dish elevation is about 22-23* degrees Not 37...

send motor to 08.w and then do as above

You don't say receiver, image you are using, have you a motoRised channel listing, size of dish or make of lnb. There is a great thread on here that explains exactly what is required to get a good signal. And there is a neat video, thread says dark motor but its actually your motor that is being used.

If you have everything dead square and level, a clear view of sky and a motorised channel listing. Then best way to get 0.8W is to use 2 FTA channels, one vertical and one horizontal. This means when you get a picture you are on 0.8W.

Use these and peak signal on 0.8w for both. With a clear sky and a 95cm dish or better aim for 80-90 signal as per signal finder in box.

The 2 channels to use are Al Jazeera on DVB - S 12418V 28000 QPSK fec 7/8 and GALAXY 4 on DVD-S2 12130 H 28000 7/8. Aim for over 80-90 on both. I get 97/96 and using openvix 6.3. on a 1.1m dish .

If you can get 80-90 on 0.8w then the other sats will be ok as well,

This is the thread just realised its in items wanted and has developed into an instal.

Dark Motor for my 95 cm dish

Last edited:
Hi I put my usual setting in but they are slightly out but if I move the dish by step my signal comes up on Thor how do I adjust this in the usals signal goes up if move to east thanks

where you put in your original usals details change those slighlty bit by bit while on one of the above channels just change the one with W in it first, say it read 001.678 change it to 001.500 and save then check if you have a picture. But best way is to move whole rig to 0.8w. You may have to try different settings a few times and it might be out more that one degree, so 000.600W or such may work, its a method but not great.

You dont say dish size or receiver or image and did you try above channels!!

I think if I move about 4 steps I get signal on Thor al Jazeera. My dish is 90cm image openvix 6.4 vu zero
Your dish is not aligned correctly you need to start from scratch and align the dish correctly on 0.8w and maximise signals on suggested channels. No point chasing your tail faffing about changing USALS settings to compensate for an incorrectly aligned dish.
You also need to give more information when asking for help as moving 4 steps doesn’t shed a lot of light is it east/west what signal did you max out at etc.

Fozzer east is left west is right. But you are only out a fraction. Is it easy for you to get to dish/motor and move the whole rig a tiny bit left your steps were to the left and watch signal. For the way you are approaching it 80 is pretty good but its only a stopgap. Thats a good setup and do you know the make of LNB.

Did you try adjusting the USALS as above. I have openvix 6.3 and a duo2 with 1.1m and a black ultra. I get 98% and agc 93. If you get 80 on both thats not bad but other sats may be out a bit. Just change the readings after the 001. XXX make it lower to go east.

NB I dont update image willy nilly so staying with 6.3.

I move it 4 steps in positiner setup and got 50% but to get top signal I need to move it about 15 steps so for me to move the whole setup I loosten the ones for the motor clamp and move it east I have a V8 sat finder can I use this and set the frequency to al Jazeera get signal for that the check the other channel

If you have a sat finder yes you can use that as bmitie said just loosen the motor bracket bolts and gently move the whole rig east to maximise your signal. Once you peak in the east/west direction flex the dish at the top and bottom to see if you can increase the signal if it does improve slacken the dish angle bracket bolts and move dish up/down in the required direction.

Well with the V8 Finder if its the one I think it is then then you should not mess with usals at all. Put in correct USALS in box, and did you look at the link I posted?? Right at the end there are a set of pics that show how the dish motor and LNB should be exactly straight while motor at 0 then once that is correct you select 0.8W AND DISH wlil move a fraction. Now with the V8 connected and the frequency entered for Al Jazeera you move the whole rig until you get a reading. Once you get a reading you then adjust the elevation in the motor and peak the signal. Or you may be using latitude so adjust that up or down.

NB Your dish elevation should be 22.4 and not 37, have you changed it?? You only tinker with dish elevation after you have tweaked the motor and dont touch dish elevation until you have tightened bolts on motor and watch signal as you tighten bolts it usually gets better:ROFLMAO: but can get worse. Aim for 90%, then check other one.

79% on al Jazeera and 90% on galaxy
If those readings are taken at the dish with your satellite meter try taking readings from the cable connected to your receiver in the house to eliminate any potential cable connection issues between the receiver and the LNB.

Hi tried again with usals and sats are coming in I tried before but no luck now it seems to be working ok not sure why they are the sames as before thanks for the help

Back