Virgin -vpn

Steven339

Hi
I’m sorry if I’ve posted this in the wrong section. I really am struggling to get my head around setting up s vpn.
I have virgin media 3.0 super hub.

But I want to run a vpn. My question is do a need to purchase a new router to have a vpn or can I run it through the super hub directly.
If I need a new router which one? I need to vpn for my tv mainly? As I have applications that have stopped working and been advised I need to set up a vpn.
Also if I set up a vpn will Netflix and amazon still work?

Thankyou

Hi mate, yes you will need a new router. You will put you VM router into modem mode and then use your new router as....you guessed it, a router :)
I would recommend looking at the ASUS routers as the GUI is really good on them and they have openvpn built in which is were you will setup your VPN. The VPN provider you go with normally provide guides or vids to get you setup on your router.
I don't use Netflix or Amazon but I believe both are or starting to block VPN as a security measure. More like so you cannot access content from different countries.
On your router you will be able to turn VPN on and off at the click of a button if you can't access either via VPN and then just switch back on when you need the VPN.
There is quite a few different types of homebrew software for certain routers but this would require more tech knowledge but plenty of guides. dd-wrt and padman are just 2 out of range on option if you want to have a look.
Hope that helps...

Thankyou for taking the time to reply. This information is excellent it’s just what I was after. I was just looking for confirmation really from what I’ve looked up ASUSrt AC66U Any good

Thankyou for taking the time to reply. This information is excellent it’s just what I was after. I was just looking for confirmation really from what I’ve looked up ASUSrt AC66U Any good
Excellent router which you can pick up for about £80 to £90.
There are more powerful ASUS routers on the market but you’ll pay a premium.
The AC66U has a great reputation.

if you don't want to buy another router to replace your virmin one you could always drop a small GLi'net router behind the device that you want to connect to the VPN, it's a small router as such that you load your VPN config files onto and anything that is connected to the LAN side will use the VPN. around about £20.00 quid.

I can vouch for the ASUS, I have a darknight with merlin loaded and for me it's perfect..

HERE

Last edited:
I managed to set it up.
From my understanding it’s normal to get drop in speeds. Mine drops from 150mps to 8mps on average?.
Also what I’m struggling to understand is the virgin router was not very good for signal strength in the back room however this new router appears to be worse, which I thought would be better.

not meaning to drop a spanner in the works here & I am a bit late to the party but IF as stated in his 1st post he only needs/wants a vpn for his TV side of things he didnt need to buy router, a VPN can be run on the device used for receiving TV (Enigma2 box or firestick as examples). Most who have a VM connection receive TV via c/s so do not need a VPN but it is also possible to use IPTV which is streamed, the blocks kick in when using IPTV so a VPN on the device will get around these blocks, once set up on the receiver you simply turn the VPN on/off when required to bypass the blocks, internet speed drops by a lot but is still plenty in most cases, my 100mb VM connection drops into the 30's or thereabouts when my vpn is activate. Having a VPN on a 2nd router is good advice in general but not necessary IF its only needed/wanted for the TV side.

not meaning to drop a spanner in the works here & I am a bit late to the party but IF as stated in his 1st post he only needs/wants a vpn for his TV side of things he didnt need to buy router, a VPN can be run on the device used for receiving TV (Enigma2 box or firestick as examples). Most who have a VM connection receive TV via c/s so do not need a VPN but it is also possible to use IPTV which is streamed, the blocks kick in when using IPTV so a VPN on the device will get around these blocks, once set up on the receiver you simply turn the VPN on/off when required to bypass the blocks, internet speed drops by a lot but is still plenty in most cases, my 100mb VM connection drops into the 30's or thereabouts when my vpn is activate. Having a VPN on a 2nd router is good advice in general but not necessary IF its only needed/wanted for the TV side.
Hi I wasn’t aware this was possible it’s my tv has the app built in. I don’t have a box etc

putting a VPN on the TV itself could be a challenge so going the 2nd router way is probably best, I assumed you were using a stand-alone device such as an Enigma2 box

putting a VPN on the TV itself could be a challenge so going the 2nd router way is probably best, I assumed you were using a stand-alone device such as an Enigma2 box
Yeah though so I’m going to test it today the only issue really is the drop on speeds when the vpn is on but we will see

Sorry it’s the RT AC66U

I’ve never had that percentage of speed reduction on my ASUS router. I’m with PIA VPN.
What country are you using?
Turn the vpn off on your router and install the vpn on another device(pc or tablet) see what the speed reduction is then.

mine drops from 200 meg to 55 meg, so as long as it's working I don't care........ speed always suffers when connected to VPN's. I have merlin installed on mine (not sure you can put it on yours) but it has a neat little VPN section that I can configure what ever device you want to use the tunnel..So I have the mag254 on a 24/7 vpn connection and the rest of my kit just on the normal wan...(as mentioned... make sure your using a vpn server that's close to you for optimal performance)

are you putting all devices through the VPN or just the device you wanted?

But sounds like it's working for you no? apart from 2 channels?

Last edited:
Hi
So I now have all the channels working -)
The only issue is still with the speeds dropping from 150-8 which I can’t Understand why. I’m going to try a few different servers see if that helps.

Hi
The only issue is still with the speeds dropping from 150-8 which I can’t Understand why. I’m going to try a few different servers see if that helps.
Vpns throttle your speed anyway if you turned your vpn off your speeds would be normal try a UK server

Hi

there's quite a lot going on when you are connected to a VPN, so for example the processor of your router gets hammered when a VPN is connected, it's got lots of handshakes to do and lots of encryption back and forth, not to mention everything else that you have going on with it, like wireless, wan and lan so it's doing it's best....lol

Speed is always compromised due to the way that VPN's work, so add in other factors like the speed of the processor on your router and free ram all have a part in it.

Even using a PC with Openvpn and the config files from my supplier i still as mentioned drop from 200meg down to 30meg when connected via the tunnel.

If it's working and your not getting any glitching then happy days.

Back