Want to buy a new laptop but which one too choose? advice needed 04.10.2011

hunter1010

TK Supporter
Hello all

I am going to buy a new laptop soon and too be honest im not up on them, I would be very gratefull for some advice on what model to go for. I will give some details of my requirments and see what suggestions i get

I am looking on going to PC world for instance, Altough i dont mind ordering online at a rep store I have looked on pc worlds site and read reviews but its a minefeild

Here is what i am looking to use the laptop for, sitting on the couch searching the web checking emails and occsianlay games, Ive no intrested in web cams. i very rareley take the laptop out.

I would prefer the bigger the better screen as possible as my eyes are not the best, it must have a fast connection to the wifi, as I hate a slow connection. A big harddrive to store all my photos on would be nice, I often have mulitible web pages on the go at the same time. Stuff like word does not intrestet me as i have that on my desktop.

By top end budget is say £400

Too All who reply in advance I thank you. Have a good day

;)

you really need one of the tech guys to explain whats what - its all to much for me lol! But windows 7 is faster and previous versions and think now most stores only sell W7 as for wifi you might want to look at around 300 bmps ( sorry my terminology is not that good) but higher the wifi speed it shows the better- although it also depends on what speeds your connection it to. Trouble is there are now so many on the market, it really is whats best for you.
My suggestion would be to go and talk to a few stores and see if they come up with same/similar products. bearing in mind that pcworld/currys are the same place. Also depends on what type of screen you want. I bought hubby a glass one - personally i hate it as i wear glasses and all i see is reflection. If you have a john lewis store near you i know they give longer warranty and are very good if there is a problem.
The guys on here though would probably recommend a dedicated pc store rather than a high street shop. Once you have found something that interests you try price comparison sites youll be surprised at how much you can save.
Sorry i cant be much help!

Thanks for that Linny40

I have a jl close by so went onto there site i've seen two laptops

Packard Bell Easynote TS11-HR-038UK £449

and

Toshiba Satellite C670D-110 £399

The packard says it has a what i assume faster cpu while the Toshiba has a larger screen,

I am going to wait for a few techys to offer up some advice and see if i can make my choice, i have mentioned i want the laptop to connect to the wifi fast as my partner has a acer its approx 18 months old now and its painfully slow connecting, That puts me off buying an acer model i dont know how she puts up with it.

Ill look those 2 up and see if i can a help. We all have acers here in our house ( 4) and a HP laptop :) Is it the interent thats slow on it or the pc - if the whole pc is slow check out the pc sectins for help and advice how to tune up your pcs. Sorry dont want to give you incorrect advice so rather the guys help you. But if you look we have various freebies on her to help tune up pcs etc !
Also how are you connecting the laptop to wifi does the lappy have a built in wifi? or use using a dongle if its built in what speed is it?

After looking at both if you can stretch to it id say personally go for the easynote as harddrive is bigger and so is graphics card. But im no expert.

Look up both on the likes of kelkoo see if they are cheaper elsewhere and if so contact JL and let them know :) but with JL you do get 2 yrs rather than the standard 1 yr warrenty. ( plus i get 1 extra yr with my bank)

something like this you might have to wait until later tonight ( after office hrs) before they guys get on here!

Last edited:
Thanks again there Linny40

The acer my partner has is a aspire 5732 z it has built in wifi, its great once connected however it take so so long to connect

Just had another look on jl seen this one Toshiba Satellite C670-10P Laptop, Intel Pentium, 2.13GHz, 3GB RAM, 320GB with 17.3" Display

£349 looks a bargain to me i think i would prefer the huge screen, although it does not have to be, Think i will wait as you suggest for some techys to come on later and offer up some advice on the 3 models mentioned.

The extra screen size would be great, but the system specs of the Packard Bell Easynote TS11-HR-038UK, blow the other 2 out of the water in my opinion. You get 1TB HDD and an Intel i3 processor and 4 GB of RAM. You also have HDMI out to hook straight to your TV. That would be the one out of the 3 that you inquired about that I would put my money with. There may be much better deals available than any of those, but as I am on the other side of the pond, I have to just take the specifics you mentioned. (y)

Hello Fergui

Thanks for the input there appreciated, I was just (before i read your post) re considering again they higher spec machine as the 15" screen is ample to be honest. Also linny40 gave me the idea today of Jl (John lewis dept store over here) and i remembered i had a £50 gift voucher somebody gave us last xmas :willy nilly:

So im back up there for a £450 price tagged machine

here is the link for the jl site

Laptops | Laptop Computers | Netbooks | Notebooks | John Lewis

If you have the time could you have a quick shufty and see if there is anything else i could go for, incidentley the packard has the hd but no blueray so whats the point?

cheers to all who help me make my choice, If only life was this debatable :peace:

This one is out of stock at the mo acording to the site and if i remember correctly i think someone here may have recently purchased this particular one so you could get advive from whoever it was, cant remember myself but i remember commenting on the touchpad i think... anyway with your 400 budget plus your 50 quid voucher it might be worth asking when theyll have it back in stock

Intel Core i3, 2.26GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB with 17.3 Inch Display

Buy HP G72-B20SA Laptop, Intel Core i3, 2.26GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB with 17.3 Inch Display, Biscotti online at JohnLewis.com

thanks axxxo

That does look like a good one its got the i3 that fergui liked with the larger screen, So ticks a few box's there, I never saw that one when ive looked at em, although i did notice this at £499

Easynote TSX66-HR-041UK Laptop, Intel Core i5

I think im starting to get carried away!

problem is the more you search the more confused you get! being a woman i know lol! seriously once youve found what you like contact the store as what you see online may not be same as store stock levels. If they have not got it they may be able to hold you one for when they come back in stock. worth a try!

Packard Bell Easynote TS11-HR-038UK is prob the best one you have seen, i would go for that, but shop around and see what you can find.

The state of play

Thanks to all who have joined in, I have this morning sent an email requestion when the HP G72 as suggested by axxxo will be back in stock as i like the price the big screen and its got the i3 chip in it, so will wait for a reply hopefully today. if they have that one back in i think i will take it, otherwise it might be either the easynote 038uk or the slighty higher spec easynote with the i5 chip. which i will probbaly never get the max out of anyway! i'm sitting at my compaq desktop intel 4 3.2ghz 1gb ddr, 250g hd with nvidia ge force 5500 (u can tell i read this of the label) and its never missed a beat and its donkeys old now. :rock on:

hunter have you tried contacting your local store - as i said stock levels in shops differ to whats online! Depending where in the UK you are as to your local shop you might have more than 1 locally and they will home deliver!

at least you found you got an extra £50 to play with!

Contacted my local store today in regards to the laptop mentioned by axxo on when new stock would be in.... Got this reply

Thank you for your email.

I am sorry to inform you but unfortunately, this particular Laptop is pending deletion, and we no longer have any available in our stores.

If there are any other alternatives that you would like some information on, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards,

Raiyah Ismaiel

Customer Service

John Lewis

All i can say is BOOOOO :anyonethere:

Hello again all whom are watching and offering advice

could somebody in the know offer up advice

I found this Packard Bell Easynote TS11-HR-038UK Laptop, Intel Core i3, 2.1Ghz, 4GB RAM, 1TB with 15.6 Display

its 449 its out of stock at the min

ive found this in stock

Samsung RV520 Laptop, Intel Core i3, 2.1GHz, 6GB RAM, 750GB with 15.6 Inch Display

its 499 with a 50 quid cash back offer, is it just as good as the packard?

thanks all

The only major difference there is that you'll get 2GB extra RAM with the Samsung, but to be honest 4GB Ram is more than enough for everyday use, depending on what your going to do on the laptop, I doubt you'll be needing 6GB RAM. You get 1TB of space on the Packard Bell laptop. Thats 250GB more than the Samsung.

If I were you, I would go with the Packard Bell. If you want to do stuff like video editing/rendering. opening a dozen of programs and games then 6GB ram could be in your favour. But if your after bigger disk space then Packard Bell is the better option.

Helo dan-ger-ous

thanks for feedback, i see exactly what your saying i think the 750gb harddrive on the samsungis ample as is the 4gb ram as you say on the packard, think what i really need to know is the quality on the brand as in is it worth me wating for the packard to come back into stock or is the samsung just as good a make?

I've never owned a Samsung or PackardBell laptop. My cousin has an R series Samsung laptop and it seems to be fairly reliable so far.

I've found the following about the Samsung laptop:

# Pros
Very good battery life. WiDi 2.0 and WiMAX wireless technologies built-in. One of the lightest 15-inch laptops. Priced reasonably. Numeric keypad included.

# Cons
Noisy mouse clicks. Design is falling behind the times.

# Bottom Line
The Samsung RV520-W01 budget laptop delivered excellent battery life and a glut of new age wireless technologies, but it's lacking a bit in terms of design.

also remember that just because it says 1 name on the outside does not mean that ll the components are made by that company. You might buy a samsung and it might have HP parts inside or philips, you might by a Packard bell and its got hiatachi components etc inside. At the end of the day buy what you feel happy with and whats within your budget!

Back