WeTek Play 2 - Great replacement?

I have to echo the recommendation to avoid the Wetek Play 2 at the moment. I had one a couple of weeks ago. Very buggy and lots of problems under droid. It is better under LibreElec but you need to boot an Alpha version to avoid a boot loop problem and that has Kodi Krypton Beta in it which is buggy. I beleive Kodi no longer support the Amlogic SOCs as well (as used in the Weteks) RF Out didn't work on mine and I have seen others with the same problem. Sent mine back and wouldn't recommend at all.

I have to echo the recommendation to avoid the Wetek Play 2 at the moment. I had one a couple of weeks ago. Very buggy and lots of problems under droid. It is better under LibreElec but you need to boot an Alpha version to avoid a boot loop problem and that has Kodi Krypton Beta in it which is buggy. I beleive Kodi no longer support the Amlogic SOCs as well (as used in the Weteks) RF Out didn't work on mine and I have seen others with the same problem. Sent mine back and wouldn't recommend at all.

Thank you for the relevant reply. It's a shame they've stopped supporting them as the Amlogic SoCs are one of the most popular.

Ah well, one can only hope.

No problem. I think the popularity of the Amlogics may also be the reason they have dropped support. Kodi want to distance themselves from all the illegal use add ons and the internets is full of cheap Amlogic boxes fully loaded with Kodi builds. Also Kodi claimed they didn't have a droid dev a while back so don't know if that is in anyway connected.

Back to the Wetek Play 2. It's a shame it was so flaky as I think with its tuner and a decent os build it would appeal to many. Maybe they will learn from their mistakes when the 2S with dual tuners and CI ever comes out. I doubt it though from spending some time wading their forums.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

No problem. I think the popularity of the Amlogics may also be the reason they have dropped support. Kodi want to distance themselves from all the illegal use add ons and the internets is full of cheap Amlogic boxes fully loaded with Kodi builds. Also Kodi claimed they didn't have a droid dev a while back so don't know if that is in anyway connected.

Back to the Wetek Play 2. It's a shame it was so flaky as I think with its tuner and a decent os build it would appeal to many. Maybe they will learn from their mistakes when the 2S with dual tuners and CI ever comes out. I doubt it though from spending some time wading their forums.

Yes indeed the rise of kodi being used in a bad light is quite alarming. I've read this is mainly Android side of things and support for Amlogic will stay for forks based on Linux such as OpenELEC etc.

I've opted to merely replacing the Android box I have in favour of the Amazon Fire TV Box as it just seems a much more stable option. My current box seems to throw internet off until I reboot the device (Beelink MiniMXIII - S905 2gb/16GB/1gbit Ethernet) and due to importing, I'm going to have a ball ache asking for a refund/replacement.

I have had a FireTV for over a year and using SPMC with a VPN and an IPTV sub it works nicely. Went for the Play 2 as I wanted to ditch the Sly box. Read up on the Beelinks etc. as well but I think a lot of the droid boxes share a lot of issues. (even the much lauded Shield isn't perfect). Personally I think I am gonna get a Solo 2 now to go with the FireTV and have the best of both worlds for now.

I have the play 2, it arrived faulty, as in the tuner just isnt recognised at all.
The android side was really buggy, switched to libreelec alpha image (play 2 version) and it wasnt much better.
its going back to get exchanged, but reading most opinions on it im not sure i want it back now....

Re the Zgemma's being fire hazzards, woosh said the other day that downloads for his v5 build has passed 10,000, and Id imagine it'd be many many times more than that running the long established v4 - thats a LOT of Zgemma's out there, and not ONE report on here of power supply smoking / burning / issues........

I have the play 2, it arrived faulty, as in the tuner just isnt recognised at all.
The android side was really buggy, switched to libreelec alpha image (play 2 version) and it wasnt much better.
its going back to get exchanged, but reading most opinions on it im not sure i want it back now....
I read a lot of reports of people being told to open the units and re-seat the tuners as they weren't in properly (but I am not suggesting you do that). It was also suspected that a change in the tuners may have been causing the boot loop issues etc. I know they were out of stock of the s2 tuners so maybe the next batch will be better.

Re the Zgemma's being fire hazzards, woosh said the other day that downloads for his v5 build has passed 10,000, and Id imagine it'd be many many times more than that running the long established v4 - thats a LOT of Zgemma's out there, and not ONE report on here of power supply smoking / burning / issues........
A decent point. It's similar to scare stories with some ecigs catching fire. Also as far as I know people are still buying Samsung products despite the latest Tabs flaming issues. If there are real safety issues with a product though they should be highlighted by the manufacturer and the community.

The thing with any product and the Internet is that people only tend to post when they have problems and not just to say "hey I got this and its fab" and lots of positive reviews of things out there are just effectively paid for ads. It is harder and harder to get a real opinion these days.

Last edited:
Back