What Happens When......

Gman496

Super Moderator
Staff member
Due to the legally binding ruling by the courts, Microsoft will be shipping Windows 7 to Europe without Internet Explorer.

My question is,

How will users connect to the Internet in order to download a Browser of their choice?

-

soz for being thick but won`t peeps just down load it from the microsoft website, like when we get updates. just thought il shut up now.:)

Due to the legally binding ruling by the courts, Microsoft will be shipping Windows 7 to Europe without Internet Explorer.

My question is,

How will users connect to the Internet in order to download a Browser of their choice?

-

Ahh...and a practical view come to light. They must have put a good amount of thought into that one, eh?

Get out ye flash drives. :)

I wouldnt blame people if they carried flash drives around with protable web browsers on their, never know when they can be down at a relatives or friends who have just got Windows 7 without a browser! lol

Apparently OEMs will be provided with free copies of IE8 on a separate CD alongside window 7.

It would be cool if there was an option in the Windows 7 installation allowing you to chose whether you want to install Internet Explorer or not. But then again if you dont have an installation file saved for your preferred browser then your stuck in the same situation again.

Last edited:
Apparently OEMs will be provided with free copies of IE8 on a separate CD alongside window 7.

Where did you see that H?

Surely that's not giving the end user a choice if they have to install IE8 in order to download Firefox LOL!

-

LOL, hardly fair is it, read it here Gman

Code:
 http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/11/windows-7-e-coming-to-europe-without-internet-explorer/

(1) Microsoft will make available a mechanism in Windows Client PC Operating Systems within the European Economic Area (EEA) that enables OEMs and end users to turn Internet Explorer off and on. If Internet Explorer is turned off, what the user considers as the web browser Internet Explorer, namely its browser frame window and menus (user interface), will not be accessible and will not otherwise launch programmatically.

Code:
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/presskits/eu-msft/docs/07-24-09Commitment.doc

It looks like Windows 7 will come with internet explorer, it has to have a functioning browser so it can download the latest versions of alternative browsers, that quote is from Microsoft plans, Microsoft will also roll out a update for XP & Vista, which will offer the same option of turning IE On or Off.

That function is already in the RC so, time will tell I guess.

-

Code:
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/presskits/eu-msft/docs/07-24-09Commitment.doc

It looks like Windows 7 will come with internet explorer, it has to have a functioning browser so it can download the latest versions of alternative browsers, that quote is from Microsoft plans, Microsoft will also roll out a update for XP & Vista, which will offer the same option of turning IE On or Off.

That function is already in the RC so, time will tell I guess.

-

It would be cool if there was an option in the Windows 7 installation allowing you to chose whether you want to install Internet Explorer or not. But then again if you dont have an installation file saved for your preferred browser then your stuck in the same situation again.

My previous post was close to Microsofts Plans but didnt quite get there. :p

Back