What should I format my USB drive to overcome FAT32 4GB file size limit?

rasj

Hi guys,

I've got a 64GB USB drive mounted on my Zgemma box, formatted in FAT32. It's working fine, however, I put Die Hard on a recording timer last night and have noticed that the recording had stopped once it reached the FAT32 file size limitation of 4GB. It only managed to record 1 hour of movie. The box showed the error notification: "Write error while recording. Disk full?"

I was wondering what is the best format to format the drive to to overcome this limitation and that is fully supported by enigma2 receivers bearing in mind I like to record movies and would like to access the files from a PC/Mac.

Would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks guys ;)

fat32 is for flashing the box

if you go to the main menu / setup / system / storage devices / hard disk setup
if you go in there you will be able to initialize you drive

Hi everyone trying to initialize a seagaye 3td hard drive but when it tries to initialize its say error :required tool (parted)was not found any help please and thank you

i would give both your drive a format on a computer
just to clear them too new and just format them to anything i wouldnt go for fat32 mind just incase

then plug them in and then do the below
main menu / setup / system / storage devices / hard disk setup

Dont know for sure I am new to Zgemma but think max size for external usb disk is 500GB (I may be wrong)
The utility parted is so you can partition drive into smaller drives eg sda1,sda2,sd3 etc if max size is 500gb you would have to partition the 3 tb into at least 6 drives dont know if you would be able to access them though via usb
I am awaiting delivery of my zgemma and will have to try and do a similar thing with my 2tb drive out of my VU+ duo that has just died
will be next week before I get zgemma and will try to sort then if you have anpost results I will do same next week

Yes m8 can format it but still not working
Its shows up on pc but still saying
Error
Initialing storage device
Error:a required tool(parted) was not found
No matter what file system i format

---------- Post Merged at 01:39 PM ----------

After i try and initialise in zgemma h2.s

---------- Post Merged at 01:43 PM ----------

Zgemma box can tell its there but wont initialise hard drive

Seems like people are getting confused. I'm not referring to the maximum size of the drive itself. I'm using a FAT32 formatted drive - the popular format used on most drives. However, an inherent limitation to FAT32 is that a single file cannot exceed over 4GB. This is a problem for those that are recording a programme that is, say over 1 hour in duration and will therefore have a strong likelihood of exceeding more than 4GB just for that one file/recording. I wanted to find out which drive format will be best for recording files that will exceed 4GB, supports read/write in Windows/Mac and is supported by an enigma2 box.

I think exFat may be best but need confirmation that it is supported by enigma2 before doing so.

fat32 is for flashing the box

if you go to the main menu / setup / system / storage devices / hard disk setup
if you go in there you will be able to initialize you drive

Thanks, but what format does it format the drive to? If it formats to ext3 or ext4, then I wont be able to access the recordings easily from a Windows PC or Mac without using unstable hacks.

I can initialise my 128gb pen it works for a bit then stops when it records nothing comes up but says that the space is used then next day even the picons don't work and I have to initialise it again, my old 8gb 1 I did in the same way works fine any ideas

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yes m8 can format it but still not working 
Its shows up on pc but still saying
Error
Initialing storage device
Error:a required tool(parted) was not found
No matter what file system i format

---------- Post Merged at 01:39 PM ----------

After i try and initialise in zgemma h2.s

---------- Post Merged at 01:43 PM ----------

Zgemma box can tell its there but wont initialise hard drive

Have you tried going to Computer Management on windows, then Storage, Disk Management, Delete Volume, then Create Volume, and then Format

Yeah inherent limit on FAT32 single file size is 4Gb and the linux core does not like NTFS so it likes to format in ext3/4

Yes can FTP to the box and transfer but that can take a while especially if you are on wifi, so easier to pop the drive out and install this

Ext2Fsd Project

will give your windows pc the driver needed to read linux partitions.

Back