Wifi or Ethernet

Another question I'm afraid.
I have my box set up wirelessly , with a little dongle thing in the back port. Most channels show signal intensity 90 % with signal quality between 67- 80%,most near the top end, around 77-80%, I am experiencing some glitching(it's not bad but does happen) would it be better with an Ethernet cable?, my router is in the kitchen so is a fair way from my box maybe 50-60 feet to lay a cable . 20 feet as the crow flies.
if it is better with a cable what one ? Is the higher the cat the better?

connect by cable will always be a better connection than wifi or home plugs as for glitching could well be your server

connect by cable will always be a better connection than wifi or home plugs as for glitching could well be your server

A setup with a decent set of homeplugs is as good as being directly wired to the router as long as the wiring in your house is not ancient and the homeplugs are connected directly to an outlet.
Got a box in the living room wired direct and the rest are via homeplugs and all run sweet as a nut. Wifi is a no no for any box i'd say. Don't run a 60 foot cable, get a decent set of homeplugs.

Powerline adapters mate. They normally come in a pack of two. you plug one in near your router, connect it to the router via ethernet.
you plug the other in an outlet where you want the connection. they send your internet connection around your home via the existing electrical wiring.
300Mbps AV500 Wi-Fi Powerline Extender Starter Kit TL-WPA4220KIT - Welcome to TP-LINK are the ones i have. Other people may be able to recommend other brands/models too.
Not had an issue with mine.

I take it I would plug the second one into a socket near my box and run a small Ethernet cable from it into the box?, how much of a difference do you reckon they make?

my two boxes i have upstairs are both on wireless but i have a tp link wireless extender that plugs into a plug socket so i can basically connect anything to it in any room upstairs and get a strong signal with powerline adapters you can only connect one thing

Depends on the adapters nigs. i can connect two devices to each plug. I use the built in wifi clone function. so i can use the wifi on my phone.

yea i guess i just find the wireless extender easier its plugged in on the landing and i can just connect everything to it phones ipads skyboxes and have no dead spots full signal in every room and it was only 15 quid on ebay

My house is terrible for a phone signal, will this effect the wifi?if you sit on the chair near the TV you really struggle to get a phone signal. Do you need sky boxes in all rooms to have multi open boxes ? Or how do you set them up. Do they work independently from the main box ?

Ethernet is always better than WI-FI if your router is no where near the box then use homeplugs, i have however used WI-FI with these boxes and have worked fine. They use the sat / cable feed for the picture on only the internet for the de-crypting which isnt much at all.

Back