will my 3 cheap tp link 10/100mbps switches be slowing my network down?

I have 3 Ethernet cables from my router each one has a cheap tp link 10/100mbps switch on it with 3/4 devices running of each one. could this be slowing down my network? I only get 12mbps from my isp anyway as I live in a rural area and if I do a speed test on any of the devices which are plugged in via the switches I get very close to 12mbps. However, sometimes it can go really slow and get a lot of buffering while streaming and watching online videos. Could this be anything to do with the switches as I have tried 3 different routers and still having the same problem. Would getting gigabit switches make any difference? The problem is definitely within the building somewhere and not with the isp as my main pc works perfectly and can stream for hours on it with no buffering at all. Thanks

have you tried speed tests within different parts of the building via wifi and Ethernet?

Speeds via Ethernet are usually always 9-12mbps (with or without switches) and I try to avoid wifi as much as possible as its an old 17th century pub that I live in and the walls are all 2 foot deep. can usually get the full 12mbps near the router though. I've just been having problems with the internet in general for past few years and it was only today I thought maybe its the switches.

9 would still do the job have t
You moved the router to a new location or bought any new electric device?

9 would still do the job have t
You moved the router to a new location or bought any new electric device?

Was thinking maybe they could be causing some other problem other than just raw speed... nope not done any of those. It's a problem that's been on going for years rather than a new problem. I especially struggle with live streaming on kodi from many different devices. Even using paid addons which I know for a fact should have very little to zero buffering

If at certain times of day especially 6pm/11pm i would day its just internet traffic.
I am having same problem with vm should be getting 50mb download and getting half a mg. I also cant use firestick upstairs at moment as it pointless.
Phone your provider tell them of the problem and see what they can do vm accept theres a problem and i got £60 compensation.
Your the client and they want your money tell them your service is unusable and your considering leaving.

Even if in contract your not getting the service you are pauing for they will soon offer something even if it be a wifi/signal booster.

I have spoken to my isp a few times and they assure me they don't throttle speeds ever. As its business broadband and I live in a rural area I can't imagine they would need to anyway.... and like I said it works perfectly on my main pc so the issue must be my end

is it usually around the same time of day/night when it starts to cause problems, if so sounds like they are throttling speeds even if they say they aren't.

is it usually around the same time of day/night when it starts to cause problems, if so sounds like they are throttling speeds even if they say they aren't.
Nope not really around the same time. I'm pretty certain it's something internally as I sometimes even struggle watching things on my home server which is only using the local network

you say you have 3 Ethernet cables with a switch on each one with max 4 devices on each one, so that's max 12 devices max .. are many of these devices streaming at the same time as that can slow you down if its only a 12mb connection

you say you have 3 Ethernet cables with a switch on each one with max 4 devices on each one, so that's max 12 devices max .. are many of these devices streaming at the same time as that can slow you down if its only a 12mb connection

There's only really me in the house that streams. It was even happening at 2am this morning when everyone else was asleep

There's only really me in the house that streams. It was even happening at 2am this morning when everyone else was asleep

Tp link are a cheap home brand. I found they work fine for a year then start playing up.

The more switches you have be slower the network becomes and its throttling the network. As your only have 12mb connection and your switches are only 10/100 your not over doing it.

If the router and main pc is in a different room. Buy a long cat5 lead and try it with nothing else on the network.

If you have a good brand router you will be able to web into it and see what the sync rate is.
Who's your internet provider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back