Wireless Router Problem!!!

j4v3d

VIP Member
i got a wireless router belkin, at certain times it restarts on its own, light goes orange then flashes for 1 minute then connects again to the internet, certain times are 11.30am or 12pm then 6pm in evening, ive looked at the settings and they seem fine, never use to have this problem before, so don't know where to start from, should i reset the whole router?

it wont do no harm resetting it who provides your broadband could be a fault with the router connect direct to pc from modem see if you still have same problem check pc for any malware using malware bytes also have you got good internet security package ive seen many problems caused by viruses malware etc etc hope this helps you

im with virgin media, everything seems fine mate, even when doing a complete fresh windows installation the problem persists, the cable modem is brand new from virgin media. i reckon a restore is needed, maybe upgrade the firmware on the router? ive ran out of ideas.

ok well im with vm and have a new modem and a belkin router. Have you reset both router and modem?? and gone to the belkin home page for your router and checked all settings? I had similar problems with it keep going off when i had the old modem due to it not coping with the internet. It could be a vm problem as well of late there seems to be no end of probs with the service that are what they call glitches. But try resetting both at the same time and see if that helps 1st then go to the belkin page and check that you have not set it to restart at certain times, or done something else. if you dont know how to reset modem just unplug from electric and vm connection for about 20-30 seconds then restart, also do same with router, but restart modem 1st then router and not the other way round

hope this helps and let us know if not then one of the lads will give you more help
what modem is it you have mine is a 256 - small black box

ok well im with vm and have a new modem and a belkin router. Have you reset both router and modem?? and gone to the belkin home page for your router and checked all settings? I had similar problems with it keep going off when i had the old modem due to it not coping with the internet. It could be a vm problem as well of late there seems to be no end of probs with the service that are what they call glitches. But try resetting both at the same time and see if that helps 1st then go to the belkin page and check that you have not set it to restart at certain times, or done something else. if you dont know how to reset modem just unplug from electric and vm connection for about 20-30 seconds then restart, also do same with router, but restart modem 1st then router and not the other way round

hope this helps and let us know if not then one of the lads will give you more help
what modem is it you have mine is a 256 - small black box

same box as yours black little one, im just going to reset the whole of the router, looks to me its the router that is playing up, all the settings look as normal, never messed around with it, will try resetting it and doing all security settings again. see how it gets on then

cool keep us updated! on my modem it still has the sticker and it does say any probs to unplug for 30 seconds and reset as that usually takes care of basic technical problems. Also states to turn pc off too but to turn on AFTER the router has been on for 30 seconds

cool keep us updated! on my modem it still has the sticker and it does say any probs to unplug for 30 seconds and reset as that usually takes care of basic technical problems. Also states to turn pc off too but to turn on AFTER the router has been on for 30 seconds

im going to have a try when i get home from uni, going to reset the whole thing, virgin media are crap anyway, hate them lol... you know when the router resets the lights on the cable modem is the same so it cant be the cable modem, will post the model no of my router as well. what router do you have???

mine is a belkin N+ model F5D8235-4v2 - has 2 antenna
Code:
http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=459640
click on the support - that might help you
i also found this on google
Code:
http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1002&PARTITION_ID=1&TIMEZONE_OFFSET=&USERTYPE=&VM_CUSTOMER_TYPE=Cable&CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=2720

as for vm being useless lol i have got to agree, but saying that i have been a customer for over 20 yrs ( different name changes over the years - started as Bell Cable Media) so far to long to bother changing my BB to anyone else - but i must admit i dont usually have any probs with my BB

mine is a belkin N+ model F5D8235-4v2 - has 2 antenna
Code:
http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=459640
click on the support - that might help you
i also found this on google
Code:
http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1002&PARTITION_ID=1&TIMEZONE_OFFSET=&USERTYPE=&VM_CUSTOMER_TYPE=Cable&CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=2720

as for vm being useless lol i have got to agree, but saying that i have been a customer for over 20 yrs ( different name changes over the years - started as Bell Cable Media) so far to long to bother changing my BB to anyone else - but i must admit i dont usually have any probs with my BB

thats my router belkin F5D8231-4_UK_2.01.13

resetted and new passwords created, going to see how it goes now.

encryption has gone to WPA-PSK 2 what ever it is lol, new passwords created, and all 3 other devices connected successfully

network name: Secret_Service_FBI lol

Last edited:
Linny40 seems the router is working just fine now, touch wood, will see if the sucker resets at around 6pm this evening, a new network SSID and encryption type might have done the trick

many wireless users round my area will get nevous to see Secret Service FBI lollol

lol well sounds like they wont try n get onto it lol! yes my encryption is same and my ssid is boring lol! but might have to change it to something funnier like yours. - problem is i got so many things connected (iphones pcs game consoles) id have to change the SSID on everything :)

well hope it stays working as you say could be the encryption that has made the difference. good luck and keep us posted in a few days to let us know if it did indeed do the trick. hopefully this is the end of it doing its own disco of on off on off LOL!!!

Last edited:
lol well sounds like they wont try n get onto it lol! yes my encryption is same and my ssid is boring lol! but might have to change it to something funnier like yours. - problem is i got so many things connected (iphones pcs game consoles) id have to change the SSID on everything :)

well hope it stays working as you say could be the encryption that has made the difference. good luck and keep us posted in a few days to let us know if it did indeed do the trick. hopefully this is the end of it doing its own disco of on off on off LOL!!!

yeh that was the problem, i had my iPhone connected to the wireless, 2 laptops and a desktop PC, i had did to change the encryption twice and SSID before the other devices could log-on, now no-one will even dare try to connect to my network, if they do i will hack their asses down lol.

touch wood it doesnt go shaking its booty at the disco for ever, hope he/she is retired lol
if not then i'll just have to throw the sucker out the window and then torture it :dump:

I had mine as nosey neighbours :)

If it is going on and off again at regular times get yourself and a neighbour to complain a fault in the area. They will do diddly squat with one complaint or they may say that there is maintenance going on in the area at those times.

I had mine as nosey neighbours :)

If it is going on and off again at regular times get yourself and a neighbour to complain a fault in the area. They will do diddly squat with one complaint or they may say that there is maintenance going on in the area at those times.

the amount of times i have rang up and complainined is beyond a joke, something to do with the router, i got a new cable modem sent out for me :) told them i was going to leave lol

all seems fine ATM will know more today when i go home.

Back