Woman scammed into buying block of wood with Apple logo sold as an iPad

HiTecK

Administrator
Staff member
68.jpg

22-year-old Ashley McDowell of South Carolina was duped out of $180 after two men approached her in a McDonald's parking lot and offered to sell her an iPad.

One of the men, who had a gold tooth, says McDowell, explained that they purchased the tablets in bulk from overseas and were selling for $300. The woman said she only had $180 on her and they quickly accepted her price.

When McDowell got home, she opened the box (a Fedex box, not even an iPad box, mind you) to find a piece of wood with the Apple logo painted on it as well as a "screen" with a replica iPad home screen.

Adding insult to injury, the scammers threw a fake Best Buy sales ticket on top.

Despite dusting the box and "tablet" for prints, the police say they have no leads.

Despite dusting the box and "tablet" for prints, the police say they have no leads.

No leads? You mean they didn't even give her a HDMI or USB lead? lol

Reminds me of the scam over here where they were selling laptop bags containing phone-books :dunno:

You know how the old saying goes "If it's too good to be true it usually is", buyer beware ;)

sorry but come on, If anyone tried to sell you anything is the street/car parks you gotta be daft to hand over money just like that. Plus $180 is a lot of money to carry around in a fast food parking lot just to "give away" to the 1st person that comes by.

This reminds me of what we have in Canada and the US, it's called the "White van scam", a guy drives up to you as you are walking through a parking lot and gives you some BS about a distributor giving him to many sets of speakers or stereo systems and proceeds to tell you they are worth thousands of dollars and he needs to get rid of them and is willing to take a couple hundred bucks for them, some will fall for it only to find out later that the stuff is absolute crap and not worth the cardboard box it was packed in, they tried it with me last year and he was told where to go and what he can do with his cheap stereo gear pretty quickly ;)

LOL i have a good friend who fell for a scam,TV the bloke was coming out of his so called house carring a 42 incnh flat screen told mate he would sell it for £400 as he had split with the wife, mate went to bank got cash and bought said TV LOL when he got the box home it was full of bricks, one born every minute. sorry Lambo

I guess it is a lesson learnt. :)

Those reading this thread will remember this when being approached by a suspicious person next time. (y)

Back