Xbox Ring of death HELP!!!

Linny40

TK LADY VETERAN
my sons xbox elite - only bought christmas has ring of death.

Any ideas. he had just bought a new game turned xbox on and got the 3 lights. Thankfully as it was bought for xmas it should still be under guarantee.
Any reason why these go. espesh as its a new on

---------- Post added at 09:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 PM ----------

UPDATE!!!

unplugged from mains - left for 20 seconds then plugged back in and it seems ok But not going to put the new game in incase it happens again and we cant get game out.

Wait to hear from you guys 1st

Will contact Amazon in the morning to see what they have to say but on a new xbox that is just about 3 months old this should not happen

my son had this happen to his xbox 360, his was about 2 years old though, so I contacted xbox, they sent a courier to collect the console, took it away fixed it and delivered it back took about 2 weeks Linny, contact the shop first, but you'll have no probs :)

well ive managed to get on the xbox site and did the diagnostics and all seems to be well. Have now registered both xboxs - one is around 2 yrs old this month. But they do have a 3 yr warranty on ring of death.
Seems it might have been the power cord come loose. if you get flashing lights there is a quick simple guide with check boxes, we had 3 flashing lights but power pack was orange, which indicated it was probably a loose connection. unplugged all leads and reconnected and its all working fine now.

So thanks Anto will see how it goes - if it happens again then its definatly a problem, but at least i now know what to do and what to look for.
But when you see 3 red flashing lights you just think its dead!!
Apparently you can organise a repair online rather than have to ring microsoft

The XBOX ring of death can be fixed by yourself, but it involves opening the xbox and messing around with the boards, so should only be attempted by a professional.

I've found the following that might be useful to you Linny:

Before we can examine the causes of the "Red Ring Of Ring Of Death" it is important to note that different flashing lights on the console mean different things. Upon closer inspection it is possible to see the light ring on the front panel of the console is divided into four sectors. If only the second quadrant is flashing then the console is merely overheating. Simply power it down, unplug and wait for half an hour or so before resuming game-play. It would also be wise to move the console to an area where it receives more airflow. If all four sectors of the light ring are glowing red then the AV cable has not been inserted into the console correctly or has fallen out somehow. Just plug it back in until a clicking noise is heard and it should be "business as usual"

The real problems start when either sector three, or all sectors but number one are glowing red. This indicates a general hardware failure of an unspecified type - basically, something's not right inside the console. One of the biggest problems with a general hardware failure is that it is often very difficult to determine what is causing the issue. A common cause of the "Red Ring Of Death" is the failure of the Nyko Intercooler inside the console. It has also been suggested that hardware failures can be caused by the fracturing of the solder used inside the console due to excessive heat and the wrong type of solder being used during construction.

well Dan i certainly WONT be opening it up lol! going clockwise it was 2 3 4 that flashed but all seems ok now

I wouldnt risk damaging it either Linny, good call. lol
I guess it could've been alot worse, atleast it is back up and running now. :) Will you be sending it back or will you just make sure that your son doesnt try the same game in there again? LOL

linny, for my bet, i would just keep using it as normal, unless it is a backup disk. microsoft will replace the console and the game that is in it.

hopefully it was just a loose cable, if the AV cable is not connected properly you get all 4 red lights flashing, i havent heard of three red lights flashing for a loose power cable.

Make sure they are well ventilated, the power brick must also have room to breath, keeping them raised off the floor is a good idea and away from any other heat source like a radiator, you can also buy external fans off ebay that attach to the back of the xbox for extra cooling which is not a bad idea.

Im not too sure if MS are sending out the coffins as they called them anymore for repairs so sending it anywhere for repair will more than likely mean you covering the cost of the postage :)

By the way, the eject function will still work with the rrod so dont worry about losing a disc, if you happen to forget to take the disc out MS will send the original game left in the xbox back in the tray as they dont need to open the dvd tray for the repair.

Last edited:
I wouldnt risk damaging it either Linny, good call. lol
I guess it could've been alot worse, atleast it is back up and running now. :) Will you be sending it back or will you just make sure that your son doesnt try the same game in there again? LOL

he didnt get as far as putting a game in. we got home from a boring meeting, i bought him a new game and he turned xbox on and those lights just came up b4 he had a chance to open the tray.
No not going to send it back for now, will wait n see what happens over the next month or so. AS its only 3 months old i know its still in warranty so not to bothered as long as its working.

One thing he is worried aobut tho is IF it has to go back what happens about all his settings - take it they are all on the hard drive which even if they had to change the box they would put our hard drive on the new one. Its stuff like games etc hes bought with his MS points

Wheelo thanks! no we dont have any of those - being a new console its not been touched - my other son wont have his " tampered with either" lol - cost me a fortune for games :) and 2 live accounts.

Axxxo its been in the same place since xmas next to the tv on a unit i cant see it being over heated as it had been off for a few hrs whilst we were out. But things in that room have been distured and things moved due to boxing stuff up out of the way ready for having work done in the room, so could quite possibley have been the unit had bene moved and cable come loose.
At least this had made me register both xboxs with microsoft and all i need do is contact them online for a collection and repair.
But well he paniced when he was the red lights.
Being Autistic he probably paniced more than my other son

i must just say i bought it from Amazon UK emailed them last night AND got a reply saying unfortunatly they have none in stock and they would usually send out a replacement 1st and we send damaged one back after, but in this case if i wanted they would orgainse a courier to pick it up and issue a full refund. Very nice of them to reply within 30 minutes - very impressed. But i got it for a good price and if i were to get a refund i would not be able to get one at that price now.
So will sit tight and see what happens over the next few months.

Thanks for your comments and help peeps

Linny :)

You aint gonna believe this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOW the other xbox 360 had packed up.

had a busy day today changing rooms and took bed tv xbox etc etc all down stairs put tv xbox together and it worked fine, then the ps3 cable played up so he swapped the HDMI cables over and got Error E74 come up. so looked up again on the ms xbox site and it said its a harddisk error and needs to go away for repair.
comes up with E74 and all different languages come up and its light no 2 that flashes

God what a nightmare.
And as its the easter holidays cant do anything now til next week, thankfully he has modernwarefare on ps3 as well as xbox - otherwise the next 2 weeks would be a nightmare LOL

I know how you feel Linny, when my sons got the ring of death it was xmas and he was after getting some new games to play on it as pressies lol he did'nt know what to be doing with himself ;)

im sure i got a gremlin in the electrics in my house lol! my electric whisker packed up today to - what that and my boxes going lol! im having such a fantastic time -NOT!!

thanks well sent off the online repair so waiting for them to send me a confirmation email with a packing slip so it can be returned.
but its real painin the bottom lol!

ok guys never did update this thread and now only doing it due to someone asking similar question in another thread.

Sent it back to xbox. they emailed a packing slip - took it to local UPS depot and returned it.
Within less than 2 weeks the xbox was sent off to Germany, repaired and returned to me WOW!! amazing. infact it may even have been about a week - i cant remember.
NO questions asked where it was bought ect. They repaired it and we have had no problems since!

Just be aware that Microsoft have discontinued its policy of providing a prepaid box with shipping label for XBox returns.

SEE HERE:

-

yes thats what i did i got an e label and had to find my own packaging and take it to my local depot which luckily was not to far away

The coffins as their known as were costing them a fortune lol glad you got it sorted linny.

Back