YouTube Asks Users To Help Produce New Film

Gman496

Super Moderator
Staff member
YouTube is launching a "life in a day" movie, where users will be given the chance to become co-directors after uploading footage of their daily lives.

276.jpg

The film will be streamed on YouTube for free

With the help of director Kevin Macdonald, and producer Ridley Scott, the global film plans to document July 24 with user-submitted videos from around the world.

Mr Macdonald, who has directed the likes of The Last King of Scotland said: "I hope it will be something that will open people's eyes to the possibilities of user-generated film.

"Of course, it's a risk. It could be that I won't get anything interesting back.

"But I don't think that will be the case. I'm sure there will be some real gems, some real magic, which is what I'm looking for."

[YOUTUBE]tZFbDY3-eG4&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

The film will premiere at the Sundance Film Festival in January and those whose footage makes it into the film will be credited as co-directors.

Users must be at least 13 years old, and they can be from anywhere except countries restricted by US export controls.

Contributors will have a week to upload their videos to YouTube, which means some could send videos not shot on July 24.

"We really feel that YouTube over the past five years has definitely changed the way that content is created and consumed," said YouTube's film and animation manager, Sara Pollack.

"Each of these programmes continues to deliver against that - empowering regular people who have visions, who have voices, who have opinions, who have talent."

Mr Macdonald said he is particularly inspired by the 1930s and 1940s British documentary film-maker Humphrey Jennings.

He added: "For me, the most important thing is that people are intimate. Honesty is what I want. Life In A Day is a time capsule that will tell future generations what it was like to be alive on the 24th of July, 2010.

"I don't think that everybody can write a great novel, and I don't believe that everybody can paint a great picture.

"But in this instance, people can contribute to what I hope is going to be a great film by giving something of themselves."

Back