ZGemma - absolutely no signal at all

kiddac

Need some help please.

I have recently bought a full satellite kit. Sky MK4 Satellite Dish with Quad LNB 20m Twin Black Coax Cable HD Freesat Kit and Zgemma.

I have flashed by ZGemma box with MTPockets openatv backup image.

Today I have put up my satellite dish and wired it all up. The problem is I get absolutely no signal whatsoever.

On my box if I go . setup...service searching...sat finder. Everything is zero, not even a flicker if I move the dish.

The setting I have got are

Tuner: Tuner A: BCM7346 (internal)(DVB-S2)
Satellite: 28.2e eutelsat 28a & astra 2e/2f
Tune: Predefined transponder
Transponder 10714 h 22000 5/6

Tuner: Tuner B: AVL6211 (DVB-S2)

and for both tuners I have got

Configuration mode: simple
Mode: single
Satellite 28.2e ...
Send Diseqc: no

I have got a sat finder gadget, and it lights up orange, so there seems to be power coming from both tuners.

So can any one help me determine what is a miss here. tuners. Wire. LNB. Alignment. Set up etc.

Last edited:
Satelite co-ordinates and azimuth will vary depending on whereabouts you live. Need that info before we can help.

Here is my dishpointer stats

Satellite: 28.2E ASTRA 2A | ASTRA 2C | ASTRA 2D | ASTRA 2F
Elevation: 22.9°
Azimuth (true): 143.8°
Azimuth (magn.): 145.8°

If you have a iphone try a free app Dish align press sat top left select you sat 28.2 this will show you what direction to align your dish Then press the compass at bottom right Then just box to fine tune

I have got an android phone. I have got a few different satellite dish apps, but unfortunately I live in a bit of a signal bubble, therefore the apps are very erratic.

Are we all thinking this is just possible mis-alignment. Even when the satellite finder gadget was beeping, there was absolute no signal strength on my box. It didn't move at all :(

You have to be spot on a few degrees and your picking up a different Satellite Has anyone else got a dish up close to you to give you a rough direction

I initially lined it up with a compass. I then tried the satellite finder beeper. I live in a terraced house so I can see my neighbours dish cleary. Looks pretty much the same. It might be the elevation though.

---------- Post Merged at 10:13 PM ----------

I have just changed my tuner configuration and tried every satellite from 13e to 33e. Not a sausage on either tuner. All 0 SNR ?

ok I am really getting annoyed about this. My dish isn't in the most accessible place. It on a wall above an extension. So I have put my tv in full view of the window over my extension. I have clambered back up on the extension and again tried to realign. I have gone into my zgemma sat finder screen. and no matter where I angle this dish or whether I change the elevation, I am getting absolutely nothing on the SNR %. And I mean absolutely nothing. 0% I really cant be that stupid. Something must be broken here. I am going to try the box on a friends sky dish to see if I can get any channels. Can someone educate me here. Surely if I am badly aligned, I would get some sort of very bad signal i.e 1% or 5% snr. I just get zilch.

Bad lnb, cable or connectors?
You definitely connecting sat cables into right ports on box?

Last edited:
I emailed my seller of the dish, about a possible faulty LNB, here his response.

Thanks for your email. There is a very slim chance that your lnb is faulty. It is more likely that you are not able to align the dish. This is a tricky process if you have not done it before as its a very small angle where you are able to get a signal.

If possible I would ask an installation engineer to align the dish for you with a professional meter.

Out of the many dishes we have sold, never have we had a faulty LNB

Funny that, as I have read in many places about people having faulty LNBS, they replace them and bingo everything works perfect.

---------- Post Merged at 12:30 AM ----------

Bad lnb, cable or connectors?
You definitely connecting sat cables into right ports on box?

I think so they are in LNB in top left and Tuner A in bottom right. Both tuners say 0%. I have also tried all 4 different ports on the the LNB

Plug your box on friends or neighbours dish in 3 minutes flat you have your answer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

box definetly working, as now been tested on a working sky dish. Just now need to test cable and LNB. I have redone the fconnectors on one end of the cable. Now just need to redo the other end and try a realign again. Still puzzled why I am getting absolutely no signal at all. Even moving my dish step by step. Just nothing.

You will get a high reading on 19.2 and 28.5 if you are not on 28.2 you will get nothing Make sure dish is level , look at neighbours pick a point in background and try same point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for everyones help on this. I got it sorted in the end. I started from scratch again. It was the bloody f-connectors on the cable that were messing everything up. I re-ended all the cables and got a picture straight away. doh

I'm having the same trouble.

I'm having the exact same issues that you encountered, I have been up and down the ladders all day but signal don't move from
SNR: 0% 0.0db
BER: 0
Signal (unticked)

I have a signal meter, just 5 pounds off ebay, needle and beeper type I'm pretty sure I'm using it correctly but I'm getting erratic signals with it, even without moving the dish the needle is moving up and down 10 or so, I have re-ended the f-connectors at the box but haven't done so at the dish yet at it was going dark, I will do it tomorrow morning weather being well but to be honest I would expect something at the box, even if out of alignment by a lot!..even a few percent?

Also the apps you mentioned Dmsatfinder I'm able to connect but when I hit start it says "box is in standby mode, triton wake up?" when the box isn't in standby mode, any ideas?
Any advice / help will be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for everyones help on this. I got it sorted in the end. I started from scratch again. It was the bloody f-connectors on the cable that were messing everything up. I re-ended all the cables and got a picture straight away. doh

This thread is more than a year old. Try starting a new one, that way people will see it and may be able to help you

Back