2 boxes have same ip address

martfarm

Hi all, have had a lot of clutching, then noticed that the 2 cloud ibox 2+ have the same ip address in the plusnet router, changed one for shy f5 all seems ok, any way to change one of the ip address, but you only see 1 of them at a time in router if you unplug one you can fttp to the other and visa versa but not any if there both connected filezilla doesn't like it grateful for any ideas

yes turn of dhcp
and manually add ip
if the first box is
192.168.0.10 then make the other box 192.168.0.12
ow what ever your first box is make it plus 2 then save restart network might have to reboot box
see if both will connect

4th

I had this with 2 solo2's on my network, I gave them static ip's but still has issues until I noticed both had same mac address, reversed the last two digits of the mac address on one box and it worked. One was a genuine box and one a clone.

Setting a static IP address on the box in the same sort of range that other devices on your network use can cause IP conflicts for other devices as the router doesn't know that x.x.x.12 is supposed to be reserved.

If you want to set them at the box end it is advisable to use the top end of the range.

Most routers do DHCP from 192.168.1.2 right up to 192.168.1.254 (or 255) The router will start allocating IP addressed from .2 when it hits .10, if your box has not announced it's self on the network yet, the router can give the next requested device .10 and there is then an IP conflict.

By setting your boxes IP address to the top end of the range will avoid this. On the above example I would use 192.168.1.150 and 192.168.1.160 which keeps them away from everything else and each other.

As gmangt4 has done, it is best to give static IPs from the router. I have never tried gman, but think you can spoof the MAC directly on the box, but if you are up and running, why fix it to break again lol

Lol
There was some sort of spoofing going on lol
Best thing was it was my solo2 clone that worked the better of the 2 until I noticed he same mac, many nights pulling my hair out for something so simple in the end.
As whoosh says, if assigning static ip address use the higher numbers, my router has a DHCP pool of 192.168.0.2 thru 192.168.0.254 so I assign 192.168.0.200 and higher to avoid any conflict but it never worked for me on this occasion until I changed the mac address so my router must also associate mac address to device as well as ip address......I don't know enough about it to know really lol

so my router must also associate mac address to device as well as ip address

Yes you are right. Generally when you assign a static IP to a device via the router it wants to know the MAC address as that is the identifier as they are "always" unique (unless you are gmangt4 hehe) The router will then ask what IP you want that mac addressed device to have.

As soon as it saw your Mac address it ran around :willy nilly: with no idea what do do so did it's best.

A nice find though, I would have been head scratching a lot longer than that gman as it would have been the last place I would have looked.

if you flashed them both you would have given them both the same mac address, I had this problem and I got something that I put on a usb and I was able to change the mac address of one of them

if you flashed them both you would have given them both the same mac address, I had this problem and I got something that I put on a usb and I was able to change the mac address of one of them

This isn't true as the MAC address is hard coded into the network adapter. Any device with a network chip will have a unique MAC address unless the programming of the chip has been cloned, not a backup of the box, but the actual software on the chip. eeprom?, don't know what it is called

Before I opened my big cake hole though I decided I would test this to enforce what I thought was true.

2 Zgemma H2S boxes, both flashed this morning with WooshBuild, from the same image on the same USB stick and both MAC addresses are different as they should be.

Box 1: 00:15:c0:39:22:b5
Box 2: 00:15:c0:36:63:f3

Spoofing a MAC address is a different thing though and a duplicate address could go from box to box using the same image as spoofing is software driven and makes the real address appear different. Flash the box with a clean non spoofed image and you will revert back to the MAC address hard coded into the adapter chip.

If anyone is running WooshBuild and would like to check their MAC address to compare against the above codes: Menu -> Information -> Network - your MAC address is on that screen.

3rd box confirmed as: 00:15:C0:36:66:77

Last edited:
I didn't mean flash with an image, I meant I flashed the cloud ibox 2 plus with a new bootloader so I could put the latest vix images on it and it wrote the same mac address to both boxes

Last edited:
Well something is wrong as like my above post says, the MAC address is hard coded into the chip on the network adapter and shouldn't be re-written on any level even fro a boot loader. The boot loader is there to tell the box where and what to look for when the box is first turned on and has nothing to do with the network adapter. If the boot loader flash is used by every cloud ibox 2 plus user, all the boxes would all have the same MAC address in their network adapter. This would make the purpose of a unique MAC address useless.

Last edited:
I know wooshman, but that's exactly what happened, the bootloader that was flashed gave both boxes the same mac address, I had to put a file on a usb with some code on it setenv -p ETH0_HWADDR *NEW MAC ADDRESS HERE*
rename it Start.bat and restart box with it in and it changed mac address of the box.
worked great and now I get no problems with them both on at the same time

Woosh is 100% correct, I've flashed a "few" different brand boxes and have only ever came across it the once and that was on my solo2's, one genuine and one clone.....I never worked out how it happened as the clone was running an old vix Apollo and the genuine box hades at the time so different versions of Vix, both also had different bootloaders as the clone needed patched ones....I had to edit my MAC address manually and took a long time to figure out how to get it to stick to the box

Back