2003 1.8 tdci focus squealing

ourwillie

Just bought a 2003 ford focus 1.8 tdci and noticed when starting it gave a squeal and the same on stopping but nothing after start or stop. Got my father to listen with the bonnet up and he told me he thought it was coming from the drivers side i.e. belt area. Anyone any idea as to what it is ? could it be a tensioner pulley? btw the cam belt was changed at 27000 mile 2yrs ago

was the altenator belt also or is it like a tank track with plenty of cracks,could be tensioner going out of allignment or a pulley guide,,i use a 3 foot screwdriver to rest the tip on to feel/hear noise
taking care as engine is running and belt is rotating,not too sure if the altenator has the slipper clutch fitted like on vws and that causes belt to squeel also.

Belt tensioner bearing worn out common problem. Can get them cheap on slease bay easy fix. Good luck in this weather getting under bonnet.

Just bought a 2003 ford focus 1.8 tdci and noticed when starting it gave a squeal and the same on stopping but nothing after start or stop. Got my father to listen with the bonnet up and he told me he thought it was coming from the drivers side i.e. belt area. Anyone any idea as to what it is ? could it be a tensioner pulley? btw the cam belt was changed at 27000 mile 2yrs ago

An easy remedy to stop that worn fanbelt beltdrive making that awful racket, just use talc powder on the movein belt just a lil bit tho i do this itsworks but
if the squeal is still there i mite b your water pump if that you need to fix soon

[video=youtube;5H5oOAIcsQg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H5oOAIcsQg[/video]

Thanks but I think its the water pump or something else as the squeal is only on start up and switch off no other time.l

alternator drive belt is the main culprit as the demand on it is high from a cold start, could be as simple as a worn belt so try that first.

if its on startup and shutoff its almost certainly the belt.a quick way to find out is get a can of silicone spray lube and,with the engine running,spray the contact surface of the belt or belts as the case may be.if it goes away,its the belt.

Back