3rd Party Router

Kevinpug1

Hi,

Wonder if someone could help me make the right decision. After been with Vodafone and VM I am currently with BT 900 mbps fftp. I must say so far I am happy with their service there is just one issue I have (I think) and it's their router Hub 2, on devices connected via Wifi I get speeds of 300 mbps and on ethernet I get 600-700 mbps. BT confirmed that I am getting 947 mbps to my house so I am assuming the hub 2 got some sort of limit on wifi speed. If I buy 3rd party router EG "Archer AX73" would the speed increase? or have I got it wrong?.

If someone could tell me if they seen improvement after getting own router that be great. I do understand 300mbps is plenty to do anything however If I am paying for 900 then that 600-700 mbps on wifi be ideal If I knew I be getting 300 mbps on WIFI I would probably buy 500mbps and pay less. When I first got FFTP Openreach came out and put Openreach modem in my house so I am assuming If would just plug new router to this modem and everything be working just like it is with hub2 now.

/Thanks

Hi,

Wonder if someone could help me make the right decision. After been with Vodafone and VM I am currently with BT 900 mbps fftp. I must say so far I am happy with their service there is just one issue I have (I think) and it's their router Hub 2, on devices connected via Wifi I get speeds of 300 mbps and on ethernet I get 600-700 mbps. BT confirmed that I am getting 947 mbps to my house so I am assuming the hub 2 got some sort of limit on wifi speed. If I buy 3rd party router EG "Archer AX73" would the speed increase? or have I got it wrong?.

If someone could tell me if they seen improvement after getting own router that be great. I do understand 300mbps is plenty to do anything however If I am paying for 900 then that 600-700 mbps on wifi be ideal If I knew I be getting 300 mbps on WIFI I would probably buy 500mbps and pay less. When I first got FFTP Openreach came out and put Openreach modem in my house so I am assuming If would just plug new router to this modem and everything be working just like it is with hub2 now.

/Thanks
Might be best to contact BT first before changing router, I was with BT and changed to a Archer model which performed poorer than the BT hub on WiFi! There Hubs and modems are usually good compared to other providers that use their infrastructure!

Might be best to contact BT first before changing router, I was with BT and changed to a Archer model which performed poorer than the BT hub on WiFi! There Hubs and modems are usually good compared to other providers that use their infrastructure!
Thanks for quick reply, I will speak with BT and see what they say about it, I suppose it all depends who you speak to on the phone as one technician may be more helpful than others.

/Cheers

it could also be limitations of the devices you are trying to connect to
I was assuming that the mpbs WiFi that was available on a speed test, I wouldn't think any device would need 300 mpbs

You don't need to use the BT router at all I've left mine in it s box anyway you can hardwire a third party router straight from your ONT set it up your router as PPPoE and use the username bthomehub@btbroadband.com password BT, personally I've used an Asus AC86, Asus AX GT 11000 and now the AXE 16000 all of them massively outperform the hub 2 especially on Wi-Fi 6. I don't why the archer router would not perform as well, good luck.

Last edited:
it could also be limitations of the devices you are trying to connect to
Thanks for you reply, but this isn't the case as on VM 1 gig I did get better speeds but they throttled me after 7pm so had to leave.
You don't need to use the BT router at all I've left mine in it s box anyway you can hardwire a third party router straight from your ONT set it up your router as PPPoE and use the username bthomehub@btbroadband.com password BT, personally I've used an Asus AC86, Asus AX GT 11000 and now the AXE 16000 all of them massively outperform the hub 2 especially on Wi-Fi 6. I don't why the archer router would not perform as well, good luck.
Thanks for your reply, When I get home I am gonna get my laptop and set PPPoE connection with the above ^ as I read somewhere I can check connection that way as well, if it's anywhere around 900 mbps then I be looking to get a new router, Would you say Asus AC86 is still worth buying today or is it old tech as that's the only one in my price range.

/Cheers

Thanks for you reply, but this isn't the case as on VM 1 gig I did get better speeds but they throttled me after 7pm so had to leave.

Thanks for your reply, When I get home I am gonna get my laptop and set PPPoE connection with the above ^ as I read somewhere I can check connection that way as well, if it's anywhere around 900 mbps then I be looking to get a new router, Would you say Asus AC86 is still worth buying today or is it old tech as that's the only one in my price range.

/Cheers
I no longer use my AC86u I use the axe 16000 this gives me around 930 Mbps via Wi-Fi 6E obviously you're going to need equipment that can utilise Wi-Fi 6E and the budget to buy something like that but to be honest anything with Wi-Fi 6 would be better than the hub 2.

Thanks for quick reply, I will speak with BT and see what they say about it, I suppose it all depends who you speak to on the phone as one technician may be more helpful than others.

/Cheers
Maybe look at mesh WiFi systems, they would plug into your router, they could maybe give you better speed and coverage through the house.

Maybe look at mesh WiFi systems, they would plug into your router, they could maybe give you better speed and coverage through the house.
Same here got virmin media hub 5 first thing i did was put it into modem mode and connect to deco mesh system

Back