3UK sim based broadband - ideal for those with slow broadband options

lamblamb

TK Veteran
i thought i'd post this as it may well help others out.

i recently decided to ditch virgin broadband primarliy due to having 2 months of it going down for hours on end and the ridiculous cost :smiley:

anyway, during downtime i was using my phone as a hotspot for wireless devices around the house.

the signal in our road is pretty pap tbh, 2-3 bars of 4g at best though still hitting enough speed for streaming.

anyway, long story short i purchased the following, not cheap but working extremely well now ive set it up.

£20 all you can eat data sim from 3 - going via topcashback will get you £60+ back.

tplink mr400 4g router - £130ish from various places.

Poynting 4G-XPOL-A0001 Cross Polarised 4G Omni LTE Antenna - £66 on amazon

set up without the external antenna was giving around 30meg , with the external antenna fitted im hitting 80meg plus with a 100% signal being reported by the router (y)

so, ignoring the initial outlay i now pay £20 a month for 80meg broadband, it hasnt dropped out once in the last few weeks and is quick enough to stream on 3 devices at the same time.

on a side note, 3 also do a Huawei B535 router for free on a 24 month contract with unlimited broadbnd for £20 a month so you don't even need to shell out for a router. a quick google shows you can fit an external antenna to it (y)

it will only get better when 5g gets here so thats the way i'll be staying for the foreseeable future.

i thought i'd post this as it may well help others out.

i recently decided to ditch virgin broadband primarliy due to having 2 months of it going down for hours on end and the ridiculous cost :smiley:

anyway, during downtime i was using my phone as a hotspot for wireless devices around the house.

the signal in our road is pretty pap tbh, 2-3 bars of 4g at best though still hitting enough speed for streaming.

anyway, long story short i purchased the following, not cheap but working extremely well now ive set it up.

£20 all you can eat data sim from 3 - going via topcashback will get you £60+ back.

tplink mr400 4g router - £130ish from various places.

Poynting 4G-XPOL-A0001 Cross Polarised 4G Omni LTE Antenna - £66 on amazon

set up without the external antenna was giving around 30meg , with the external antenna fitted im hitting 80meg plus with a 100% signal being reported by the router (y)

so, ignoring the initial outlay i now pay £20 a month for 80meg broadband, it hasnt dropped out once in the last few weeks and is quick enough to stream on 3 devices at the same time.

on a side note, 3 also do a Huawei B535 router for free on a 24 month contract with unlimited broadbnd for £20 a month so you don't even need to shell out for a router. a quick google shows you can fit an external antenna to it (y)

it will only get better when 5g gets here so thats the way i'll be staying for the foreseeable future.
Did you read the small print on this as most say a fair user data policy and will be limited unless a premium customer (Great post) Mr lamb by the way (y)

i did, however the sim was ordered as a replacement for the missus phone, i just never used it lol so worst case scenario it can go in her phone and ill ditch her virgin contract.

ive used 438gb since it was rebooted a few days ago so it's looking good :grin:

I know its an old post,
but,
anyone got any updates on this.?
my home BB has went up again, and is now almost £35 month for about 16meg,!!!!
looking at 3 and can get unlimited 4G for £22 month,
I'll get a 3 PAYG SIM tomorrow and check their coverage in my area before committing to a contract,
just wondering if anyone knew of anything better.

I know its an old post,
but,
anyone got any updates on this.?
my home BB has went up again, and is now almost £35 month for about 16meg,!!!!
looking at 3 and can get unlimited 4G for £22 month,
I'll get a 3 PAYG SIM tomorrow and check their coverage in my area before committing to a contract,
just wondering if anyone knew of anything better.
I thought you had VM?
If you're still wired up to next door's VM feed this won't suffice :sneaky:
Get VM in and get on lowest package.
I get 100mb for about £27...it was 50 but they doubled it.
Each year they try a price hike and each year I tell them to stick it up their arse and they drop it back to what it was

I thought you had VM?
If you're still wired up to next door's VM feed this won't suffice :sneaky:
Get VM in and get on lowest package.
I get 100mb for about £27...it was 50 but they doubled it.
Each year they try a price hike and each year I tell them to stick it up their arse and they drop it back to what it was
I dont want tied into a package, possibly moving house soon and the new area doesnt have VM,
with 4G its no issue moving,
I'm currently out of contract with SSE

Back