A few background questions...

Professor

Hi all, a few background questions if I may, as I have been out of the loop for a few years now, hopefully you can help me decide which direction is best.

Im looking to get the football for next season, I have an existing VM package so no real need for all singing all dancing PVR as its just for the sport.

Am I right in understanding that the cable boxes are the only way to get slysports in HD? And these are available via a server same as the openbox?

I used to have cable boxes that needed the card updating periodically (nagra3 etc) is it the case now with cable that all updating is done via a server so no messing about with programming using similar principle as the open boxes?

I understand BT sports will still be available in HD via the openbox, do we think that BT Europe will also be available in HD when launched? If not this would likely be a deal breaker.

Do we think the openbox is the best fit for this? Or does anyone want to convince me that cable is the way to go?

Looking at hardware now and the v8s is what im considering atm, if any recommendations as to what box should I be looking at to compare on the cable side of things, that would be gratefully received. :)

Thanks for any feedback.

1. Yes HD only available on cable
2. yes available via server, not on openboxes though, they are only satellite boxes.
3. If you buy an expensive enough box, they have an autobouquetmaker, which basically means that it updates the channel positions when sky/ VM move them automatically.
4. I expect that BT European football will be available on HD too (satellite), someone else may be sure one way or the other.
5. it depends on whether or not you need HD sports if you want to go Satellite or cable
6.openbox is the lower end of the scale, something a little higher uo the food chain would be so much easier to keep updated.
7. I personally would not go openbox/skybox as you have to update the channel lists once or twice a month, I'd go for something a little better - the reason I say this is because I bought an F3 and within 6 months I updated so I wasted the first box price.

I think this answers everything.

once or twice a month lazy git,channels always moving looking on kingofsat,enigma2 receiver can use any image but most like vix.combo boxes can have choice of sat+cable tuners.

Thanks brother, great start. :) So if you were to advise me as to which box to look at on the cable side of things for a reasonable price that fits my brief what would you recommend? Ideal world I would like all sports in HD and some sort of auto updater faf free unit.

Thnaks

---------- Post Merged at 09:01 PM ----------

once or twice a month lazy git,channels always moving looking on kingofsat,enigma2 receiver can use any image but most like vix.combo boxes can have choice of sat+cable tuners.

Thanks Kid will have a look at those.

---------- Post Merged at 09:27 PM ----------

Lol.. Sorry bit confused by the last post. Can anyone recommend any specific cable box to consider and a Sat box. budget £100ish but can go more if needed.
Thx

Last edited:
only cable box i have is the xtrend 8000 2 x cable tuners + 1 free slot,i wanted the best and as they are as good as the vu boxes,other boxes are more expensive so not named.
miraclebox,technomate are listed in the combo boxes=sat and cable tuner boxes.
enigma 2 boxes with vix image can have abm set to run every day keeping your channels working and best to have a usb stick for epg-7 days on sat for epg and internal hdd for recordings,unsure how long for cable is the epg..

If you are looking for a cheap Cable/ Sat for the money are quite good and does what your asking Have look at Zgemma star H1 can pick them up for about £65 If you are going to use Sat and cable you will need 2 different Subs

only cable box i have is the xtrend 8000 2 x cable tuners + 1 free slot,i wanted the best and as they are as good as the vu boxes,other boxes are more expensive so not named.
miraclebox,technomate are listed in the combo boxes=sat and cable tuner boxes.
enigma 2 boxes with vix image can have abm set to run every day keeping your channels working and best to have a usb stick for epg-7 days on sat for epg and internal hdd for recordings,unsure how long for cable is the epg..

Thanks bud, will investigate those options.

"unsure how long for cable is the epg" ?
Sorry mate but what do you mean by this? Are you suggesting the end is in sight for the cable side of things so best get a combo? Or the end of the epg for cable?!

---------- Post Merged at 09:58 PM ----------

Thx Tich, nice one.

That actually looks a good bit of kit. Autoupdate combo... Hmmm. Any mods needed for this? ie can I use the standard firmware that comes with ect and just add a server and off I go?

Last edited:
tv times for sat is 7 days =epg,someone in uk will have to say how long tv times for cable lists in advance=epg might be less than 5 hence why i posted.

Back