Windows 7 Activate Windows Now

axxxo

VIP Member
Today when i switched on i noticed my desktop had turned black but with all icons still visible, ie my desktop picture had disappeared. that itself is not the problem as i then received a notice to activate my copy of windows vista home premium.

strange i thought as the version of windows im using is what was supplied to me with the computer from dell

any ideas as to what the problem here could be?

im not looking to go deleting any legit files as i shouldnt have too and i already have a little file that will make key activation vanish from the planet but if anyone has a genuine reason for this happening id love to know

recent changes are windows updates obviously and an update to adobe reader 9

i can always contact dell and allow them to remotely control the computer but they dont really explain how or what happened which i would like to know myself, thanks in advance for any replies

Attachments

• Capture1.jpg
    Capture1.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 26
I have encountered a few laptops and pc's in the past that have done this and it was down to a virus mate. Couple of times it was the actual virus giving this warning and others the virus messed up the validation.

Sound let us know how you get on man.

Oh just one thing though, have you ever done a windows repair on the machine? With a disk?

Windows 7 caused this on my Vista install. :/

You haven't tried Win7 RC2 or 'trialled' the retail version recently have you?

*edit* Vista tracks hardware changes too iirc, too many changes and it asks for activation again.

Last edited:
I know this sounds a bit daft but check date and time in bios and windows as this can cause activation issue

W7 RC Build asked me to activate yesterday, i clicked activate, and all went back to normal. it was odd though.

strange i thought as the version of windows im using is what was supplied to me with the computer from dell

This is why I reckoned any new version such as Win7 hasn't touched the machine. He mentions it's legit vista.

yeah the vista is legit alright, scans showed up nothing unfortunately, i have windows 7 ultimate on another partition too but that hasnt asked for any activation.
ill try the repair disc and then a restore afterward, funny feeling its something to do with the updates whatever they were and if it is i bet it wont let me do a system restore, thanks for the replys all

Edit: some files in the system32 folder have been corrupted somehow causing windows to ask for activation, system restore wont work nor system repair, even tried my crack on it. found commands to type in cmd to do something with activation reset. have to do full reinstallation so it tells me now to reactivate windows, it can dam well wait!
Thanks for help all!

Last edited:
Back