Add additional router upstairs for Zgemma

Dykey

Quick question , i have my legit VM tv box upstairs running from a VM line they installed for me ... if i wanted to connect that to a VM router would i have to do anything to make this work or should it just connect ok without having to do anything ... plan is to run a ZGemma from the router .

Thanks in advance

Dykey

connect what to a VM router? and is this a "VM router" you already have?
if you just want the ZGemma to have internet access then run an ethernet cable from your existing router to the Zgemma. or use WIFI.

you wouldn't be adding any new routers to anything.

So basically my VM router at the moment is downstairs so running an Ethernet from that upstairs is a non starter and i have found wifi connections to be hit and miss on Z Gemmas .

I have a VM CO-AX Cable running into the room upstairs which my current VM tv box runs on ... can i purchase a VM router and connect it to that feed .. which will then allow me to hardwire a Zgemma to that router ?

No you cannot just purchase a second VM router and add it to your setup.
As mentioned above look at home plugs or another options is WiFi mesh systems but more expensive.

I have a VM CO-AX Cable running into the room upstairs which my current VM tv box runs on ... can i purchase a VM router and connect it to that feed .. which will then allow me to hardwire a Zgemma to that router ?

no for a few reasons
1) you can't buy virgin routers, they always belong to virgin, so any you buy would be stolen goods
2) you can't run two routers on 1 network, not in the way you want it to.

if you want to hardwire it then you need to run ethernet from it to your existing router.
otherwise you need to use WIFI or homeplugs.

So basically my VM router at the moment is downstairs so running an Ethernet from that upstairs is a non starter and i have found wifi connections to be hit and miss on Z Gemmas .

Have you thought about changing your router 2 a more powerful one? Vm routers are the absolute garbage

Have you thought about changing your router 2 a more powerful one? Vm routers are the absolute garbage

technically all you can do is put the virgin hub into mode mode and then use your own router connected to that.
you can't remove the virgin hub completely.

vm hubs are generally "OK", but more often than not it's the placement of the hub that makes with WIFI rubbish. usually stuck in a corner or behind the TV etc etc.
good placement oftens gives good results.

technically all you can do is put the virgin hub into mode mode and then use your own router connected to that.
you can't remove the virgin hub completely.

vm hubs are generally "OK", but more often than not it's the placement of the hub that makes with WIFI rubbish. usually stuck in a corner or behind the TV etc etc.
good placement oftens gives good results.
Yeah mate i just personally changed mine for a stronger router and had no problems since tbf, but yeah not saying thats what needs to be done for everyone, because as you said placement plays a big part.

What i mean by change is what chenks said, modem mode (y)

Quick question , i have my legit VM tv box upstairs running from a VM line they installed for me ... if i wanted to connect that to a VM router would i have to do anything to make this work or should it just connect ok without having to do anything ... plan is to run a ZGemma from the router .

Thanks in advance

Dykey

I think the replies you have had suggests folks havn’t understood your Q properly.

So far i gather you want to connect your zgemma upstairs where you have your tivo box. But your router is downstairs and you dont want to connect a long ethernet cable understandably. Nor you want use wifi or home plugs.
Simple solution providing you dont have to have your original vm router downstairs is you move your original router upstairs. Connect a 2 way splitter on your existing tivo connection (tv and bb on vm both runs on the same coax cable) connect one wire into tivo box and the other in your router. Hope this helps.

* you need a two way splitter with two coax coming off it.

all the OP wants to do is connect the zgemma to the router for internet.
if you think adding a splitter to the incoming coax feed is the "simplest solution" then fill yer boots!

also if OP is trying to setup internet on zgemma for a VM line
probably wasting time and effort as channels may well go off next week

Last edited:
Back