Advice for new laptop

Hi guys,

So my daughter starts secondary school next month and I'm wanting to get her a laptop for home work, microsoft office etc.

What would people recommend? Not wanting to break the bank but a nice budget friendly one that is suitable would be good :)

I would recommend 2nd hand business laptops. They have excellend build quality and are very powerful. Look at the thinkpad (lenovo) range models or Elitebook (HP) models. I would recommend any of these 2nd hand laptops to a brand new consumer laptop any day.

No

Do not buy a laptop from Arogs... All these laptops from argos are consumer laptops that have poor build quality. There is no value for money getting a consumer laptop that will breakdown withing a year or so. Unless your daughter wants to play games on her laptop, get a business laptop.

No

Do not buy a laptop from Arogs... All these laptops from argos are consumer laptops that have poor build quality. There is no value for money getting a consumer laptop that will breakdown withing a year or so. Unless your daughter wants to play games on her laptop, get a business laptop.
There is a large range of thinkpads. What about the Thinkpad T440? Can get that for £250 refurbished

Hmm i beg to differ m8
i have an acer and lenovo laptop from argos had both over 2 year now and work perfectly

but a business laptop for a daughter wanting to do homework from school seems too much

I would recommend the X series thinkpads because they are quite compact and powerful (excellend battery life too). I personally have the X250.. fantastic laptop.. Although the X270 and X280 are out now but they might be but pricy.

Hmm i beg to differ m8
i have an acer and lenovo laptop from argos had both over 2 year now and work perfectly

but a business laptop for a daughter wanting to do homework from school seems too much

Just because it is a business laptop.. it does not mean its just for "business". You get much more value for money. You can get a 2nd hand i5 fifth GEn for the same price you get like an intel celeron processor (which are absolute pants btw). For school or home use. It is perfectly capable and yes it may be a but overkill for the needs but i would much rather buy something that is def built to last.

Just because it is a business laptop.. it does not mean its just for "business". You get much more value for money. You can get a 2nd hand i5 fifth GEn for the same price you get like an intel celeron processor (which are absolute pants btw). For school or home use. It is perfectly capable and yes it may be a but overkill for the needs but i would much rather buy something that is def built to last.

The OP asked for advice for a NEW laptop not a used one.

Lenovo Laptops and netbooks | Argos

Last edited:
The OP asked for advice for a NEW laptop not a used one.

I get that but i was offering advice in that getting a new one is not always better than getting 2nd hand. You can actually get longer warranties on some 2nd hand laptops then buying brand new.

Used business laptops are like used business cars. : High mileage.

Not necessarily.

A lot of high profile companies order these laptops for their employees and when the next one has come out they just buy the new ones and flog the old ones even though there is nothing wrong with it. Some of them will show hardly any signs of use.

i got a dell i5 for my daughter for £350 second hand but only used a few times and it works great 8gb can have 16gb if i wish to upgrade

Back