Advice on replacing spotlights in bathroom

Hi
Trying to help my son out with faulty spotlights in an en-suite bathroom. One by one the 3 lights have failed. From the photos he sent they appear to be the old type spots with a transformer. If so they would probably be better being replaced by LED ones. Do these require a transformer or are they directly connected to the lighting circuit. I as this because ther is limited access above the ceiling.

Any advice or recommendations much appreciated

IMG_20220108_143217_254.jpg IMG_20220108_143231_102.jpg

Only a guess, but are they IP rated,?
That can cause premature failure.
On to your question,
LEDs require a driver, not a transformer, so whether you go for mains (230v) lamps or low voltage ones, you will still need access to the transformer, can you not pull them down through the holes, or is it one torodial transformer for all the lights,? Or some stupid DIY lights where all three plug into one TX,

The bulbs should have written on them their rated voltage. How long have the bulbs lasted ? If they were installed at the same time , it seems right that they could all fail around the same time.

Best bet is to replace them with GU10 led mains lamps and do away with transformers/drivers.Make sure the light fittings are IP rated for bathrooms
and get some GU10 lampholders and lamps.You will need access to mains wiring and carefully fit a junction box for each one with the associated mains
wiring and the tails from the lampholders.

The bulbs should have written on them their rated voltage. How long have the bulbs lasted ? If they were installed at the same time , it seems right that they could all fail around the same time.
They are 12v currently fitted ,

Best bet is to replace them with GU10 led mains lamps and do away with transformers/drivers.Make sure the light fittings are IP rated for bathrooms
and get some GU10 lampholders and lamps.You will need access to mains wiring and carefully fit a junction box for each one with the associated mains
wiring and the tails from the lampholders.

What he said.

Thanks for all the replies, need to investigate more. Not sure what a driver is (in relation to LED lighting) Steptoe? . The bulbs connect via 2 pin push-in pins rather than the bayonet type studs found on GU 10 bulbs - I believe there are LED bulbs with this type of connection. If so I'm inclined to go with Lammy's recommendation - unless someone knows otherwise?

Thanks for all the replies, need to investigate more. Not sure what a driver is (in relation to LED lighting) Steptoe? . The bulbs connect via 2 pin push-in pins rather than the bayonet type studs found on GU 10 bulbs - I believe there are LED bulbs with this type of connection. If so I'm inclined to go with Lammy's recommendation - unless someone knows otherwise?
A driver is like a transformer, except (to put it very basically) it not only drops the voltage from 230v to 12v , but it also changes it from AC to DC ,
an LED will work on AC , but it will have a much lower lifespan.
You could get 12v LEDs that will be a straight swap, but at the expense of a much shorter lifespan,
And those 5.3 fittings (the push fit 2pin connectors) are the work of the devil himself, they were crap when new, they will be crapper now,
If you can access the transformers swap them out and put mains fed GU10 LEDs in their place, even better would be a self contained complete IP rated LED fitting

12v leds are a POS,dont even consider them unless you want to be replacing them often.As above,self contained fittings are another option,
but more expensive when replacement time comes.

Thanks for the advice guys. Time to get the cobwebs of the multi-meter and see what's going on.... tomorrow 😁
They are 100% 12v lamps that are currently fitted.
Turn the electric off, and try pulling the cables through the hole and hopefully the transformers will come through.

Thank you for posting about the outcome,so many posts, not just on here, with people been given advice/help and then no response from them.
Fair play to you for getting it done and hope alls ok with the job.

Back