Alan Minter: British boxing legend dies at 69

Sad news indeed, I liked Alan Minter as a boxer, his camp under estimated Marvin Hagler when they fought in London in 1980, although Minter said a few days before the fight that NO BLACK GUYS GONNA BEAT ME , or words to that effect, I'M sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, I dont think he was being racist, at least I hope not, I think there was a bit of uproar in the crowd after the fight aswell.

Yeah he did say it but said he was told to say it :unsure: said no Black man will take my title but Hagler stopped in 3 rounds by cuts then Hagler had to run to the dressing room as British fans through bottles into the ring! Hagler different class and grinded him down!

All the good old fighters and trainers are sadly passing away was only 2 year ago that the boxing community lost brendan ingle who trianed the likes of naseem Brook jonny Nelson junio witter all world champions lol but sad news about minter and his passing

At that time No one had any idea of how good Hagler was or was going to be, The middleweight division was scarce at that time, Minters camp said that what he meant by his statement was that the best middleweights around and Minters biggest threat were white, but it didnt really make sense as there was only really Mustapho Hamsho, who later beat Minter and fought well twice against Hagler, he was from the middle east, but a few of the original welterweights around that time all moved up to middleweight, guys like Roberto Duran, Thomas Hearns, John Mugabi, Iran Barkly, probaly because, partly they were struggling with their weight, but also because they thought titles were there for the taking, as there were no big names yet, as Hagler was still up and coming and still had to establish himself yet, but boy he didnt half do that and it did lead to some great fights in the middleweigt division in those early 1980's.

Back