Alternative to Virgin Media

armylad19

Hi everyone,

New to the forum, received a bill from Virgin Media last night in the excess of £120 so decided enough is enough. Many of my mates go on about f5s boxes, Ameco Alian boxes etc but really i havnt got a clue where to start.

Im looking for some advise and help really, I know eBay sell these inc gifts but i really dont want to use eBay for it, id rather get some sound help from people who know what they are doing: I have been reading up into all the differnt varients of alternatives that are available but would like a 7 day EPG, Ability to record, do any of the boxes allow apps to be ran like net flix etc also

Any help is greatly appreicated or if anyone could IM me who can assist further that would be greatly appreicated

Thanks

Dan

depends if you want to go sat or stay with cable. sat is more stable
basic sat box skybox range £50-55
blade box £90
vu range (the best) £165- £430.00

you also have to decide how fussy you are with your viewing, ie would you be gutted if you missed a big football game because the server was down or scrambling a lot on the day?
you have to consider this as not every server is glitch free.

that is a problem most people get crap servers when they pay to cheap. the guy has to make a profit and each card they have can only handle so many requests. so somebody offering a server for a year @ £30 would not make money

does anyone know much about that free cline site? Like are they just for a day or can you get one from there that will last a while? Obviously it is better to do your own thing with trusted people, but I was just wondering if anyone actually used them...

You get get free tests lines anytime they last normally 24 hours unless u ask the provider to extend it then after it expires you buy his line depending if its good or not

I'm not really too bothered about sat or cable to be honest. Just need to cut these bills down lol

I've been advised of a good server that's £8 a month. It's just a matter of finding a box.

Are they easy enough to configure?

depends what box you are thinking of? most boxes on this forum are skyboxes,vu range,dreamboxes etc...there is lots to choose from

Since you are new to this and are looking at saving a few quid, I would say start off with a Skybox (F5s being the current fav there) and see how it goes. It is quite easy to set-up, there are tutorials stickies on this forum for it. Since you are coming off Virgin Media I assume you might have to shell out a few quid to get a sat-dish at your place (if there isn't one up there already). Once you feel that you are happy with the set-up and want to upgrade to something which has more to offer (EPG,add-on's and stuff), you can upgrade to a Vu box.

the pros and cons
something like the krypterveiw cable box you pay for the box that is it (sometimes the server may go down) however, you dont pay subs.
a sat box you would have to pay for a sat dish to be installed and buy a f5s. the f5s you will always get a bit of glitching as it is a basic box no matter how good the server is. and of course you have to pay a monthy,qauterley or anual fee for your service. aprox £95.00 to 125.00 per anum for a good server. if you use a vu range of sat box you will hardly get any glitching as long as it is set up in the correct manner.

Back