amazon fire side load kodi setup guide

dsayers2014

VIP Member
ok after having some request regarding setting up kodi on amazon fire i thought i'd do a setup guide hope it helps.

ps i don't own or have setup kodi on fire tv this is just some info i've copied and pasted to make a simple guide so if i've missed anything or something needs amending let me know and i'll edit thanks

To get Kodi on your Amazon Fire TV or Amazon Fire TV Stick, we will need the following:
Amazon Fire TV or Amazon Fire TV Stick
Android ARM version of KODI
A copy of the free tool ADBFire
A computer connected to the same network as the Amazon Fire TV [Stick]
A functional network (wired or Wifi)

Step 1 – Download Kodi
It appears that the download page of Kodi is a little confusing for some readers (absolutely no disrespect intended!), so I’ll walk through this step by step.
Go to the download page on the KODI website by following this link.
Code:
https://kodi.tv/download/
It could look something like this:
Screenshot (32).jpg

Amazon Fire TV - Download the right Kodi version
we will need to download the ANDROID version (the green puppet) and click the “ARM” link (as indicated above).
This will result in downloading a file with the extension “APK“.
So if you got “EXE” or “ZIP” then you picked the wrong file!

Step 2 – Download ADBFire
you’ll have to download adbfire from here by following this link.
Code:
http://www.jocala.com/adbfire.html

On that page, scroll down to roughly the middle of the page where you will find something like this (note: version numbers can be different):

Download adbFire 2.01 for Windows

Download adbFire 2.01 for OS X 10.7 or greater

Download adbFire 2.01 for Linux

Click the version applicable for your Operating System.

Step 3 – Setup you Amazon Fire TV
Next we will have to set up our Amazon Fire TV. Just follow the instructions that came with the Amazon Fire TV.

To setup a Amazon Fire TV, you will need to setup an Amazon account, but only a username, password and billing address are needed. You do not need to enter credit card info or anything like that.

Make sure the Amazon Fire TV is working, and has a network (wired is recommended, but WiFi fill work as well) connection that works. This should be the same network of course as used with the computer/laptop we are going to use for this article.

Step 4 – Prepare your Amazon Fire TV for Kodi
Before we can upload Kodi to our Amazon Fire TV, we will need to do a few minor settings.
Enabling Developer and Unknown Sources Options
On the home screen of your Amazon Fire TV, scroll down to “Settings“.
Scroll to the right to the “System” option and select this, where you’ll select “Developer Options” and enable “ADB Debugging” (set it to “ON”).
If available, enable “Apps from Unknown Sources” as well.
developer options.jpg

adb debugging.jpg
When done, press the return button on your remote, so you’re back in the “System” menu.

Find the IP address of your Amazon Fire TV
Still in the “System” menu, scroll up to the “About” option. There you scroll down to the “Network” option.

Here we will find the IP address of our Amazon Fire TV, in the example below 192.168.2.88 (yours will very likely be different).
Write this IP address down, we will need the IP address in a next step.
ip address.jpg
Amazon Fire TV - Finding the IP Address

Step 5 – Sending KODI to your Amazon Fire TV
I assume you have your computer (desktop or laptop) up and running, and that you have installed (!) ADBFire.
Windows and Mac users …

Some AntiVirus software, under Windows, might give a false positive when using AdbFire.

Disable your AntiVirus temporary or allow the execution (if your AntiVirus allows this).

Your Mac might consider this application from an untrusted developer, so you will need to change some settings.
Go to “System Preference” – “Security Privacy”, under “General”, check “Anywhere” at the “Allow apps downloaded from” option. Note that it is required that you install ABDFire in the Applications folder!!!!
Do NOT try to run ADBFire straight from the ZIP (Windows) or DMG (Mac) archives! It will not work!

OK, now that we have ADBFire installed, start it up. The v2.x ADBFire will look something like displayed below.
adb fire.jpg
ADBFire – Version 2.x

Now we need to tell ADBFire where to find our Amazon Fire TV – we will need the IP Address from our Amazon Fire TV for that, which you did write down in the step before.
In ADBFire, click “New“, a window will popup where we ONLY fill in the following:
Give it a name you will recognize in the future, for example “AFTV Living room”. We enter this in the “Description” field.
Enter the Amazon Fire TV IP address into the field “Address“.

Do NOT change any of the other settings unless you really know what you’re doing.
When completed, the window could look something like this, and you can now click “Save“.
adb setup.jpg
ADBFire – Device setup

After you have clicked “Save”, you might have to wait a few seconds, but eventually the dropdown under “Current Device” should show you the device we’ve just “created”.
fire connected.jpg
ADBFire – The new device we just added

To connect to your Amazon Fire TV, click the “Connect” button.
In the lists “Connected Devices” you will see the IP address of your device, and in the list “Status” it should [eventually] say “device”. Once that’s the case, we’re good to go for the next step.
To install KODI, click “Install APK“. A dialog will open, where we will select the KODI APK file that we downloaded in step 1.
Click “OK” or “Open“, and in the next dialog window (“install …”) click “Yes“.
The upload will take a while, you can see the progress bar at the bottom:

adb uploading.jpg
ADBFire – Uploading KODI
Once completed, a message will confirm that KODI has been uploaded, click “OK“:

Step 6 – Install and Start FireStarter
FireStarter is a great little tool for the Amazon Fire TV. You can find it at GitHub as well, but with ADBFire we don’t need to worry about that.
The coolest thing of FireStarter is that it “catches” pressing the “Home” button on your Amazon Fire TV remote. In essence the usual action (showing the Amazon Home Screen) will be completed, but in an instant of a second, the FireStarter will show it’s own “home” screen, which will show a link to Kodi, the Amazon Home Screen and the Amazon Fire TV settings.
Anyhow, let’s install FireStarter.

With ADBFire still connected to your Amazon Fire TV, click the “FireStarter” button. A dialog will popup where we click “Install“. After a few seconds (it’s pretty fast). Once completed, a dialog will popup informing you about that.

Next: get FireStarter started.

To get FireStarter started, the first time, we need to go to the Amazon “Home Screen” (press the “home” button on the Amazon Fire TV remote).
Scroll down to “Settings“, scroll to the right to “Applications“, press the “Select” button on the remote, and scroll down to the “Manage Installed Applications” and select it. A list of installed Apps should appear now.

Now scroll down to “FireStarter” and select it. A new “list” appears where we select “Launch Application“. Right after launching FireStarter, you will see a screen like below …. and this is the screen that will appear each time you press the “home” button on the Amazon Fire TV remote:
fire starter.jpg
FireStarter – Home Screen
You’re done now … start KODI and it will run the “first time” setup.

I've been advised that some people may want to disable fire updates so that a future update doesn't block kodi.

you may want to look here for adding the blackbox for kodi http://www.techkings.org/xbmc-media-player/84342-blackbox-kodi-install-guide.html

hope this helps

Last edited:
Great post dsayers2014. Can I add that you can side-load kodi onto the fire stick from an android device using apps2fire from the play store, instead of a computer.

I side load kodi via firestarter menu which can be downloaded for qr.net/firetv

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I'm sorry I don't have a fire device nor set one up i was asked by other members about it and thought that techkings could do with a few guides for kodi because the xbmc section seems to be missing them just full of iptv subs I was advised by another member to add to disable updates.
I'm sure that one of the other members will tell you is it under settings?

I did have another member to trial it before uploading once he said that worked I uploaded the guide.
I've had a quick Google this is what I found
Code:
 http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-block-software-updates-on-the-amazon-fire-tv-or-fire-tv-stick/

Great guide, mate, thanks. I've never really bothered with Kodi, but I got a Firestick today and this helped me set it up. I noticed this though:

With ADBFire still connected to your Amazon Fire TV, click the “FireStarter” button

On mine there is no button. You have to click on the File menu then "Install Firestarter". Thanks again.

In adb fire there is a firestarter button, if you look at the adb Fire screenshot you will see if underneath the backup button and next to push remote button. Take a look

Great guide, mate, thanks. I've never really bothered with Kodi, but I got a Firestick today and this helped me set it up. I noticed this though:

With ADBFire still connected to your Amazon Fire TV, click the “FireStarter” button

On mine there is no button. You have to click on the File menu then "Install Firestarter". Thanks again.

as tecno_noob says its on the screen shot they may of updated abd fire since doing the guide is it version 2?

Back