An beginner beginning

Hey all. I have been having a nose about and am finding I have loads of questions. I can see you all have way more experience/knowledge than me so I’m hoping you’ll excuse the idiot questions 🥺

We ditched sky many moons ago. We’ve been plodding along with freesat, Netflix, Disney, probably other things the kids have talked me into plus the films they keep renting.

We tried a fire stick with some apps on - without (the link thingie that I’ve forgotten the name of that gets you more/better links) anyway half the house couldn’t remember how to use it, the other half found loads of dead links all the time and endless buffering.

We’ve gone back to what we have and haven’t dipped into anything else. We’ve asked around if anyone has iptv and nobody knows what it is in our family and friends 😫 so here I am.

We are with Vodafone 🫤 I’ve read the Vodafone thread, but we are locked in for another 15 months. Is that going to be a pita? Or just luck of the draw and maybe need a vpn?

I had a quick look on request. Everyone asks for vod- is that all singing all dancing channels and films? Netflix? Disney? Sky channels? Or if I request do I need to be specific about what type of channels I’m looking for uk/us/netflix/disney etc etc?

Can I start on the fire sticks we have?

When you request one stream is that just one tv watching at a time (or I could move the fire stick around) and 2 would allow 2 rooms - even if the same stream? (We have teens so watching the same thing in different rooms happens a lot!)

Are all interfaces the same or does each provider vary/do you need to download something 🤔

Sorry if this is too many stupid questions 🥺🥺🫣🫣
I’m sure I’ll have more soon!

Hey all. I have been having a nose about and am finding I have loads of questions. I can see you all have way more experience/knowledge than me so I’m hoping you’ll excuse the idiot questions 🥺

We ditched sky many moons ago. We’ve been plodding along with freesat, Netflix, Disney, probably other things the kids have talked me into plus the films they keep renting.

We tried a fire stick with some apps on - without (the link thingie that I’ve forgotten the name of that gets you more/better links) anyway half the house couldn’t remember how to use it, the other half found loads of dead links all the time and endless buffering.

We’ve gone back to what we have and haven’t dipped into anything else. We’ve asked around if anyone has iptv and nobody knows what it is in our family and friends 😫 so here I am.

We are with Vodafone 🫤 I’ve read the Vodafone thread, but we are locked in for another 15 months. Is that going to be a pita? Or just luck of the draw and maybe need a vpn?

I had a quick look on request. Everyone asks for vod- is that all singing all dancing channels and films? Netflix? Disney? Sky channels? Or if I request do I need to be specific about what type of channels I’m looking for uk/us/netflix/disney etc etc?

When you request one stream is that just one tv watching at a time (or I could move the fire stick around) and 2 would allow 2 rooms - even if the same stream? (We have teens so watching the same thing in different rooms happens a lot!)

Are all interfaces the same or does each provider vary/do you need to download something 🤔

Vod = video on demand, like a large library of movies and box sets of series etc that you can watch as and when you like.

Almost all providers offer multiroom, so you can watch sky sports in one room and sky movies in another.
you can have 1, 2, 3 or more connections but theyll cost extra.

All providers will supply the app/player for android/firestick.
If your Internet is a bit sluggish, you'll struggle to watch 2 or 3 streams simultaneously, especially if someone is gaming or using bandwidth

Lots of people have Vodafone as an isp without any problems. You might need a vpn, you'll also need to make sure you perform regular maintenance on your setup for iptv.

VOD is viewing on demand, an iptv sub with comprehensive VOD will have all the latest movies and series available from all platforms.

Your firesticks will be fine. Probably best concentrate on getting one setup to your requirements first rather than try all of them.

Most subs are one screen at a time only, some do more, ask for "multiroom" subs for this.

Different iptv providers supply/support different apps.

Lots of people have Vodafone as an isp without any problems. You might need a vpn, you'll also need to make sure you perform regular maintenance on your setup for iptv.

VOD is viewing on demand, an iptv sub with comprehensive VOD will have all the latest movies and series available from all platforms.

Your firesticks will be fine. Probably best concentrate on getting one setup to your requirements first rather than try all of them.

Most subs are one screen at a time only, some do more, ask for "multiroom" subs for this.

Different iptv providers supply/support different apps.
Thanks - the maintenance, is it just clearing cache etc as I used to do - or is there anything more in depth?

Vod = video on demand, like a large library of movies and box sets of series etc that you can watch as and when you like.

Almost all providers offer multiroom, so you can watch sky sports in one room and sky movies in another.
you can have 1, 2, 3 or more connections but theyll cost extra.

All providers will supply the app/player for android/firestick.
If your Internet is a bit sluggish, you'll struggle to watch 2 or 3 streams simultaneously, especially if someone is gaming or using bandwidth
Thanks, appreciate you taking the time 🥰
If I was looking for vod (to replace Netflix etc) I don’t need sport - is there much else that people have? Or can I get the live sky channels this way too (or do these have another name that I’m missing with acronyms thanks ☺️

We do (in theory) have 500mbps fibre and nobody does anything massive, except stream and watch TikTok 🤦‍♀️ hopefully that should cut it. I guess I have to try it and see

Thanks - the maintenance, is it just clearing cache etc as I used to do - or is there anything more in depth?
Clearing the cache and removing unused apps will make a big difference.
If they are older firesticks, you may want to try a newer one like a 4k model.

The Android app your provider gives you will work on firesticks, smartphones and any other android device

EDIT:
Sports are the main reason people use iptv but all live channels will be included, discovery, documentaries, entertainment kids channels etc

Clearing the cache and removing unused apps will make a big difference.
If they are older firesticks, you may want to try a newer one like a 4k model.

The Android app your provider gives you will work on firesticks, smartphones and any other android device
Yep they are all 4K. Knowing they work on everything android though is really useful 👌 not something I’d picked up on at all. Top tip thank you 🤩

Is there anything you wish you knew when starting out? I feel like I’m wading through treacle a bit

Ideally you would need a 4k firestick as lots of providers have changed codecs.
Vod is video on demand not viewing on demand you get new release movies tv series old movies old tv series 99% of the content from Amazon Disney+ paramount the list is endless.
If you are going to look into iptv then request from the iptv request thread on the forum take plenty of trials if you find one you like take a 1 month sub to start with.
Most iptv providers should give you a guide to install their app then send you a username and password to enter into there app then you can start viewing.
You would also get live tv which is sky/vm/bt/American channels plus lots of other countries content from around the world.

Yep they are all 4K. Knowing they work on everything android though is really useful 👌 not something I’d picked up on at all. Top tip thank you 🤩

Is there anything you wish you knew when starting out? I feel like I’m wading through treacle a bit
Just take short subs, eg a month at first until you find a supplier that suits your needs, stay away from people who haven't been here long, you can click on their name to see when they joined.
Try as many providers as you like for a short sub, then take 3 or 6 months until you are happy you've found the right dude for the gig.
Only then should you take a year

All of you thank you 🤩 I don’t feel like an idiot for asking, and I (almost) feel brave enough to request one. More reading and maybe more questions first - but maybe more of my questions will be answered by actually doing it, just like everything in life 🫶
really do appreciate your help

If , as you say , you are looking for vod to replace Netflix etc and are not bothered about sport . Then maybe a plex sub would be more applicable than iptv. Would probably be easier to set up and use as well .

Reboot router, check speeds that you're getting to each device.

The shout from @soltia is also a very good suggestion of Plex for vod, it's very husband/child friendly as apps go and should serve all your needs if you can find a good share.

Last edited:
If , as you say , you are looking for vod to replace Netflix etc and are not bothered about sport . Then maybe a plex sub would be more applicable than iptv. Would probably be easier to set up and use as well .
Only thing with plex is sometimes you have to be re added of code changes and shows and movies only gets updated when plex owner can be bothered.
The op could also look for a vod only sub which 99.9% are regular updated quicker than plex servers

Ideally looking for the sky entertainment type channels and a few US shows (but not many) plus the current streaming services we have. we aren’t huge tv watchers but enough that I’m fed up of all the subs and rentals for films coming out.

I had a quick look at pled (via google) is that something I can ask for here too?

I’m also the wife 😎😂 my hubby is more inept than me 😇😉 so it’s hubby/child friendly in this house

You can request plex on the iptv request thread. Tbh a standard iptv subscription with regularly updated VOD would probably be best as your first port of call on the request thread - if that doesn't have all the stuff you need, you could then try plex or vod only subscriptions.

A good iptv provider will be more than happy to help get you up and running with a trial/one month sub with help getting everything installed, advice on how to keep everything running well and ongoing support. It's really easy once you get everything sorted though, not half as complicated as it might seem when you're first starting out.

All of you thank you 🤩 I don’t feel like an idiot for asking, and I (almost) feel brave enough to request one. More reading and maybe more questions first - but maybe more of my questions will be answered by actually doing it, just like everything in life 🫶
really do appreciate your help

Ideally looking for the sky entertainment type channels and a few US shows (but not many) plus the current streaming services we have. we aren’t huge tv watchers but enough that I’m fed up of all the subs and rentals for films coming out.

I had a quick look at pled (via google) is that something I can ask for here too?

I’m also the wife 😎😂 my hubby is more inept than me 😇😉 so it’s hubby/child friendly in this house
There's not as many plex servers as there are iptv servers. If you watch a few movies per week and stuff to keep the bin lids quiet then an iptv service will probably be more suited to your needs, you have to remember that netflix and Disney are dedicated paid for services, anything you replace them with will not be the same standard or quality but will be fine for a few movies every few days, but you're paying 50-80 a year instead of per month.
Vod is included in all iptv subs now, all new films are on offer

Ok you have had some good advice

So I would

1. Get a iptv sub with VOD that will handle 99% of your viewing.

When you get confident sign up for a streamio and real debrid account. That will fill in any gaps on VOD and you won't get loads of dead links.

Back