Android tv box got booted off network by sky router

Hello i come across this twice this week, seems to only happen with the sky Q hub, connected the Android box via ethernet to the sky q hub/router and went on the internet no problem, but after 10-15 minutes it lost connection, managed to sort it by disabling DHCP on the android box reconnected which it did and was fine. Just to make sure i brought one of the boxes home put it on my talktalk DLink router had to enable dhcp back on the android box and never got booted off. The sky q hub added 2 android boxes both with the same name id but had different mac addresses, after disabling dhcp on the android when i refreshed the list of devices on the network screen on the sky q router it only found 1 instead of 2.

Last edited:
You don't say what Droid Box it is or if it support IPv6 but you could try disabling IPv6 LAN side on the router. Type 192.168.0.1 in any web browser, select advanced tab, log in with admin / sky. Select the LAN IP Setup tab, scroll down and untick "Enable IPv6 on LAN side" and apply the changes.

You may also need to change the default Gateway on the Droid Box as the Sky Router Default Gateway is 192.168.0.1 and the Droid Box is probably 192.168.1.1 so setting using DHCP on Sky Router then disabling it would mean when you hooked up to your DLink that the gateway would be bad until DHCP adjusted the settings. You can download Ping Tools from Play then when box connected, depending what router you're hooked up to, select either to ping the sky or Dlink.

it was a tx3 mini i think youre right it was 192.168.1.1 on the android box and 192.168.0.1 on the sky router that would explain why it was booting it off

You don't say what Droid Box it is or if it support IPv6 but you could try disabling IPv6 LAN side on the router. Type 192.168.0.1 in any web browser, select advanced tab, log in with admin / sky. Select the LAN IP Setup tab, scroll down and untick "Enable IPv6 on LAN side" and apply the changes.

You may also need to change the default Gateway on the Droid Box as the Sky Router Default Gateway is 192.168.0.1 and the Droid Box is probably 192.168.1.1 so setting using DHCP on Sky Router then disabling it would mean when you hooked up to your DLink that the gateway would be bad until DHCP adjusted the settings. You can download Ping Tools from Play then when box connected, depending what router you're hooked up to, select either to ping the sky or Dlink.
Seems like you may have identified a problem I have had with my Sky Q router and android box. I just couldnt work it out, it works fine on wifi but on ethernet disconnects after about 10-15 mins and the stb emu locks up. Tomorrow I am going to see if I can follow your instructions, if I get stuck is it ok if I pm you?

Thank you to Allrounder55 for raising the Sly Q issue with connectivity and to Bar72 for solving the issue for me. I find it hard to believe something so simple as disabling IPv6 should make such a difference. I was resigned to using my android box + mag both on wi fi as ethernet constantly disconnected (as did home plugs). I have been running my sub without a disconnection for 2+ hours now not a disconnection!!! Solving problems like this is what this forum is all about, so thanks Techkings and Allrounder55 + Bar72. PS if anyone could explain why this has worked and if their is any disadvantage in the disabling of IPv6 I would be interested, thanks.

luckily IPv 6 isnt needed as a protocol so there is no disadvantage by disabling it some operating systems like windows 10 use IPv6 for location services if a dns has been enabled on the network adapter so it is possible that microsoft edge using location services on IPv6 can still trace your exact location. Probably similar on google browser too but that uses web rtc which can give your original ip address away.

Strange that I have sly q router and never experienced those problems with it on ethanet I've noticed on WiFi it's dropped and disconnected on my windows 10 pc but not ethanet

I had the identical problem on my MXR Pro android with ethernet and my Mag 256 on home plugs. I thought it was a faulty router and managed to get Sly to send me another Sly Q, but was just the same. Had to have both on wi fi, now got ethernet on the MXR direct and via home plugs on the Mag, been on over 4 hours now without disconnection - marvelous! Think it just proves IPTV is not an exact science, what works for one person doesnt for another.

Last edited:
My formuler z7+ did the same thing. I set up a static ip using Slys DNS address never missed a beat since.

My formuler z7+ did the same thing. I set up a static ip using Slys DNS address never missed a beat since.
Interesting, could you just explain in a little more detail what you did as all I did was untick a box and pressed apply but I am interested in learning. I am also considering buying a Formuler as my android box has bricked.

Interesting, could you just explain in a little more detail what you did as all I did was untick a box and pressed apply but I am interested in learning. I am also considering buying a Formuler as one of my android boxes has bricked.
Yes no problem i went into the android settings and ticked static IP, then changed the ip address of the box to 192.168.0.250 (think 250 is the highest you can go)
Subnet mask left the same as usual 255.255.255.0
Gateway is 192.168.0.1 (the Sly routers ip address)
First DNS to 90.207.238.97
Second DNS to 90.207.238.99
These are Sly's set DNS address and are available on Google etc solved the problem of the box dropping out instantly, WiFi was fine but Sly's Internet is not the fastest at the best of times and not idle for 1080 let alone 4k streaming but using a wired connection with the above settings added another 20mbs compared to the WiFi making the 1080/4k streaming no problem. I did at first think my box was a duffer but after my own experience and reading this thread it has to be their routers that are at fault.

Yes no problem i went into the android settings and ticked static IP, then changed the ip address of the box to 192.168.0.250 (think 250 is the highest you can go)
Subnet mask left the same as usual 255.255.255.0
Gateway is 192.168.0.1 (the Sly routers ip address)
First DNS to 90.207.238.97
Second DNS to 90.207.238.99
These are Sly's set DNS address and are available on Google etc solved the problem of the box dropping out instantly, WiFi was fine but Sly's Internet is not the fastest at the best of times and not idle for 1080 let alone 4k streaming but using a wired connection with the above settings added another 20mbs compared to the WiFi making the 1080/4k streaming no problem. I did at first think my box was a duffer but after my own experience and reading this thread it has to be their routers that are at fault.
Yes, you and I, and I am sure many other people have been trawling the internet for a solution to boxes losing connection. Interesting what you said about thinking your box was a 'duffer' I thought the same until I connected my boxes to a Walk Walk router at my daughters and they worked perfectly! The problem in my opinion is the Sly router and fortunately my system is back up and running perfectly (minus bricked MXR!).

Yes, you and I, and I am sure many other people have been trawling the internet for a solution to boxes losing connection. Interesting what you said about thinking your box was a 'duffer' I thought the same until I connected my boxes to a Walk Walk router at my daughters and they worked perfectly! The problem in my opinion is the Sly router and fortunately my system is back up and running perfectly (minus bricked MXR!).
I did at first think it was the WiFi and ethernet been active at the same time but disconnecting the WiFi did not make a difference. You have to rule out these things to make sure. I knew my sub was good from using it on my zgemma 2s but thinking back even that could stop occasionally but didn't think it was the Internet just thought it was due to it been more suited for CS it was bought for originally than the IPTV but in all honesty it could of been the same problem. It's like Sly know the device is going to be used for some kind of tom-foolery but can't stop just halt proceedings slightly.
Hopefully this will be a fix for morr Sly users.

Had the exact same issue with wired devices on the new sly router, had to manually setup static IP on the z7+ and similar on m8s/android box. Might update the settings to what rpidemon has suggested to see if it improves speeds at all.

Had the exact same issue with wired devices on the new sly router, had to manually setup static IP on the z7+ and similar on m8s/android box. Might update the settings to what rpidemon has suggested to see if it improves speeds at all.
Fingers crossed for other users, the speed increase I mentioned in my post was comparing between wired and wireless not sure if a static wired connection would increase speed any but definitely worth a shot

You cant beat having an ethernet connection against wi fi especially streaming in HD, FHD, theres so many factors with wi fi , location of the router, hardware on the device, channel it has connected on, other devices using the internet at the same time etc mix all those into the equation no wonder people experience drop outs buffering etc.

One thing that is a big speed hog is my sons xbox one his bedroom is directly above the router and he is using a WiFi connection but whenever it is and he is downloading it just sucks the life out of everything even overpowering the z7+'s wired connection it can easily knock 20mbs off for some reason. Surely the wired device would take the priority speed?

Back