Android TV box - M8S or Minix

septicsac

Looking for an android tv box, mainly used for streaming movies, tv series and youtube. Would like to try future proof as much as possible and have kind of narrowed it down to the M8S, Minix neo U1 or Minix Neo X8-h plus. Do not use Netflix or paid services as yet but may in the future.
The M8S is about half the price of the other 2, but would I be better spending the extra money for the Minix and is it that superior to the M8s.
If its a choice between the 2 minix boxes, then presume the Neo U1 , being the newer model would be the better box?
Any info much apprecaited, thanks.
Any other boxes to consider?

after much research I have just purchased the "mini m8s" from "gearbest" in china for just under £30 - about the best value available atm and will do all you want and much more besides.
is 4K ready, bluetooth 4.0, 2GB/8GB S905 processor etc etc. just my view

as an afterthought these boxes are best used with a wireless key board available from good old fleabay
make sure the wireless key board is an "english one" with a rechargeable battery - plenty have US keyboard (no £ sign) and no rechargeable battery!!!
the cost of a wireless keyboard like mine just under £8
keyboard.jpg

Last edited:
I second satboynoob's choice. For just under thirty quid for the latest tech amlogic box it's definitely worth a punt.

I have both of the Minix boxes and in my opinion they're bullet proof, everything I've thrown at them they've achieved without complaint. Also support from Minix is guaranteed along with constant updates which from what I hear is not the case with the M8s. You've probably done your homework so you'll know the specs from both the Minix boxes are superior to the m8s so it is worth paying that bit extra for piece of mind of future proof.

Hi, I've tried and tested loads of android boxes, in my honest opinion you get what you pay for, I think the best box on the market is T8v3s from the guys over at entertainmentbox, really good guys and support is excellent.
They do boxes for every budget aswell.
But if you have a spare £95 the T8v3s is what I'd go for.

I use a T8s-Plus from droidbox... its not the cheapest option but is extremely well made and is a powerful unit. They are a UK based company and always ship within 24 hours.

They do have other boxes available at varied prices. The M8S is a decent box tho have configured a number of these for friends and family.

Last edited:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmMDdK7uAnE im really plased running ares kodi also downloaded all bbc catchup apps radio etc runs netflix has 4k vid although im on 1080 they cost about 30 quid free post from china although i got mine for less than 25 quid so perhaps they are going up in cost , also plays plex video from pc wirelessly so not too bad at all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmMDdK7uAnE im really plased running ares kodi also downloaded all bbc catchup apps radio etc runs netflix has 4k vid although im on 1080 they cost about 30 quid free post from china although i got mine for less than 25 quid so perhaps they are going up in cost , also plays plex video from pc wirelessly so not too bad at all
I have also just bought this box & it's a very good box for the price 2gb ram & 16gb rom running android 5.1.1 & rooted. It's probably the smallest android box i've ever used. I've used it for less than a week but everything seems to work well for me with no major issues.

The minor issues i've found are the wifi connection is poor & gets worse the further you move it from your router, so connection via ethernet would be advised, the remote is crap as tends to be the case with most android boxes & the power light on the front of the box can barely be seen, i only noticed it was even there when i had the box in my hand can't see it sat across the room.

Anyone who wants a decent android box for £30 you wouldn't go far wrong buying one of these.

Back