Another buffering issue - this one is kinda weird

Hello

Another throttling issue. I've used an almost perfect provider for a few years, however, I moved to a new apartment a around 6 months ago. Initially, there was not disruption in service, however, about one month in, one day, I started getting a weird buffering issue. Here are some of the symptoms / fixes I've tried.

Symptoms
- Around every 15 minutes, live TV freezes usually either for around 30 seconds, or sometimes apparently permanently
- immediately pressing channel down and channel up fixes the problem for another 15 minutes
- VOD does NOT freeze at all

What I've tried to fix it:
- Different provider
- Different box! (I upgraded my Z8 to Z11 Pro Max
- with/without VPN (I usually religiously use Express VPN)
- Wired/wifi swap

None of those fix the problem.

Therefore, it must be with the ISP, however it was working fine for a month and it it was one day it suddenly started and has been the same ever since. My internet speed is more than fast enough to comfortably handle 4K (even with VPN slowing it down a little).

If it is a case of my ISP, I guess I'll just have to live with changing channels every 15 minutes. Can anyone think of anything I can try, settings-wise, to see if I can fix the problem? It's particularly annoying that I've just forked out on a Z11 Pro Max, when I thought it may have been the Z8 getting old. However, I do love the new box!

I thought it may be interesting to monitor my internet connection for 15-20 minutes to see if there are any noticeable regular drops in speed which may be causing this. Is anyone aware of any free software I can use to record the speeds constantly for that length of time?

Thanks

What app are you using on your new Z11 Pro Max?

And have you tried your sub on your phone or tablet?

Have you tried VLC?

What app are you using on your new Z11 Pro Max?

And have you tried your sub on your phone or tablet?

Have you tried VLC?
I haven't tried those.

Using Mytvonline3 for the new provider. Procast+ for the old provider (I have to use this). Both with same issues.

I haven't tried VLC. I will give that a try.

I haven't tried those.

Using Mytvonline3 for the new provider. Procast+ for the old provider (I have to use this). Both with same issues.

I haven't tried VLC. I will give that a try.
Ok I’m not sure if the Mytvonline3 app will have vlc option & for your Procast+ app because in some Apps VLC don’t show if u don’t see VLC ask your provider to send you a smarters app just to test if VLC fixes the issue.

Ok I’m not sure if the Mytvonline3 app will have vlc option & for your Procast+ app because in some Apps VLC don’t show if u don’t see VLC ask your provider to send you a smarters app just to test if VLC fixes the issue.
I did do a trial from a provider here with a smarters address and it was a complete failure...like couldn't even play basic, common channels (eg sky sports).

Ok it might be because there url had https at the end of it because smarters only works with http I had same issue like urs first time and changed the address to http and it worked on smarters app so try another provider get free trial and that should work.

I'm rather ashamed to say this, because I was sure this wasn't an issue. I said I religiously used expressvpn, and I assumed this wasn't the problem, because it worked for years. Someone suggested I try another VPN on trial, so I did, and it worked! It appears my VPN worked all this time but for some reason conflicted with the new ISP at my new apartment?

Anyways, I think I have my answer. And it appears that the purchase of the Z11 pro max was unnecessary. But, I'm sure there's meme about that (oh no...I'm devastated!). I guess I'll have to live with unnecessary awesome purchase, haha.

Nord worked. I'm on Telus in Canada.

I used a 7 day trial for Nord, so I'm going to keep using it. But so far almost 2 hours and not buffering.

Tbh your purchase wasn't a complete failure as soon enough there's going to be no updates for the z8 and will be discontinued so you've kind of just upgraded your box to a newer model and better updates.

Nord worked. I'm on Telus in Canada.

I used a 7 day trial for Nord, so I'm going to keep using it. But so far almost 2 hours and not buffering.
I know you have fixed the issue with another vpn but this is worth considering.
It may also be down to the protocol within the VPN.
OpenVPN or Windscribe and TCP or UDP.
It’s worth altering these in the VPN settings and seeing if they can help with the issue while viewing.

Last edited:
Hello

Another throttling issue. I've used an almost perfect provider for a few years, however, I moved to a new apartment a around 6 months ago. Initially, there was not disruption in service, however, about one month in, one day, I started getting a weird buffering issue. Here are some of the symptoms / fixes I've tried.

Symptoms
- Around every 15 minutes, live TV freezes usually either for around 30 seconds, or sometimes apparently permanently
- immediately pressing channel down and channel up fixes the problem for another 15 minutes
- VOD does NOT freeze at all

What I've tried to fix it:
- Different provider
- Different box! (I upgraded my Z8 to Z11 Pro Max
- with/without VPN (I usually religiously use Express VPN)
- Wired/wifi swap

None of those fix the problem.

Therefore, it must be with the ISP, however it was working fine for a month and it it was one day it suddenly started and has been the same ever since. My internet speed is more than fast enough to comfortably handle 4K (even with VPN slowing it down a little).

If it is a case of my ISP, I guess I'll just have to live with changing channels every 15 minutes. Can anyone think of anything I can try, settings-wise, to see if I can fix the problem? It's particularly annoying that I've just forked out on a Z11 Pro Max, when I thought it may have been the Z8 getting old. However, I do love the new box!

I thought it may be interesting to monitor my internet connection for 15-20 minutes to see if there are any noticeable regular drops in speed which may be causing this. Is anyone aware of any free software I can use to record the speeds constantly for that length of time?

Thanks
is you connection hard wired or wireless?

I would recommend on a laptop setting up a continuous ping to something like 1.1.1.1 for a few hours and see if you're getting any packet loss, you can do this with a laptop both wired and wireless to see if the packet loss is assoicated with either one, but importantly if you're getting packet loss on your circuit then you might not notice when just browsing the internet, but UDP (video streaming) traffic would be affected.

e.g
1713860331728.png

Here i have increased packet size to 1472 which will account for the extra 28 bytes windows add to make a total fo 1500 byte packets.

-I is the flag to increase packet size and -t is the flag to set the ping as continuous

if you get packet loss screenshot it and call your ISP.

Back