Anyone like bikes?

here is a question to all

are you a cyclist or a commuter?

I occasionally commute to work on the bike, but because of shifts, I tend to use the car for work, the bike for leisure/exercise.
I now have access to the Dublin mountains again as our lockdown radius has expanded, so decided to get out earlier, did a 55km cycle, but lack of hills over the last 16 weeks showed in my stamina.
Very muggy day here, and as I'm a sweaty fecker at the best of times, I almost melted.
BUT - it was great to get out again.

My activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/M6c6J1kpA7

i used to cycle for exercise but this year i havent had time (really i have) but been doing so much DIY.
So still been getting sweeting going up and down ladders and sore knees on the ground

i used to cycle for exercise but this year i havent had time (really i have) but been doing so much DIY.
So still been getting sweeting going up and down ladders and sore knees on the ground
Have you finished your DIY Bike project?

Ive alwayz loved bikes. Been around Bmx's chopper's and grifter's when i was a kid. Always tinkering doing my own upgrades repairs etc. I like to do e bike conversation project on my bike. However i wouldn't want one as pointless of you not getting any exercise. Now got a hardtail mtb. Try to get out every other day get a few miles under the belt. Surprised how expensive bikes have become every since lockdown.

do you get zero exercise on a e bike
i have a 45m climb within a mile and half everyday to go to work and it does tiring

do you get zero exercise on a e bike
i have a 45m climb within a mile and half everyday to go to work and it does tiring
I think (I wouldn't dare speak for another) he is talking about full electric, I presume what you are using is ped-elec or pedal assisted, whereby you must pedal as well as the electric kicking in.
Certainly down this way, we have a shed load of people who have "chipped" their bikes so that they never have to pedal at all - I see them go as fast as me uphill without pedalling.

I think the ped-elec have a place for those whose journey is uphill, long, or maybe when the person is rehabilitating, has a disability, or maybe they are just old.
All electric are just skirting the rules regarding insurance on motor propelled vehicles, in my humble opinion.

Whoever turned on the wind machine in the Dublin area on Friday - can you please turn it off? I haven't been able to get out on the bike since!!

Same on the other side of the boarder
Super windy

going to work I have had one tail wind in near 2 years
Most days it’s a head wind

When I said turn off the rain, I didnt mean turn on the pushing rain FFS!!!!
Plotted a lovely 70km for after work today, but it started lashing down. Maybe in the morning before work????

@topcrickets - get your act together, get back on your bike!

My bike got a bit of a service tonight

new front rim
New rear rim
New 11 tooth gear
New front and rear brake cable and housing
And a gear tighten up

make it like new for a wee while

Funnily enough, mine was in for a service today, general oiling and greasing, tightening up of hydraulic brakes, nothing out of the ordinary to be done.

I was out cycling on Sunday, and long story short, a sealed bearing ring in the rear wheel seized, Luckily, I had a spare here, so I took a bit of time Monday to knock out the old and put in the new, got out today for 42km @ 26.5 kph - just to test it. Turns out it needed a bit of settling in, so when I came back in, I had to tighten it up again.
Next project up is replacing the disk brake pads and to fill up the Hydraulic fluid in the resevoir, plus ensire that there is no air i it (bleed it) - just waiting on the fluid and pads to arrive.

anyone else gotten out lately? I'm up to 181 km for January, which is a good start towards my target for 2021 of 4,000 km for the year (I'm normally not a great winter cyclist) in comparison to last years 2,500 km.

Probably a stupid question, but can a seized sealed bearing be freed?

Back