MINI Anyone own an Edison OS Mini Sat & Cable?

Does anyone know if you can install kiddacs sky skin on the edison combo boxes with the vix image? (Which one would support it?)
Thanks

My Edision Mini has just arrived. As soon as Wales beat England I'll have a play with it ;)

I'm sure you won't be disappointed, I've had mine a couple of months now and it's a great box and with the VIX image installed, it only takes about 20-30 mins to setup, and don't forget to get your usb/hdd ready for recordings/timeshift etc and as for your last comment I'll ignore that. :nerd:

lol.

First impressions, very nice box but feels very light compared to my Dreambox800-SE, the Dreambox feels much more solid and refined.
The remote is very handy as it can control lots of different devices including my TV. :) (Zgemma remote could only control the box and nothing else)
I've found the remote to be less responsive than the Zgemma H2H one, I'm finding myself having to press the button a few times before the box responds (I've installed 2 brand new Duracell AAA batteries).
The wireless network works flawless, USB flashing was nice and easy and it even let me flash with cheap USB sticks that the Zgemma didn't recognise.
Perhaps it's my imagination, or perhaps it's because I've not filled the box with any bloatware yet but it seems slightly faster than the Zgemma, maybe as a result of the extra 256Mb NAND space?
OSD/EPG etc are much faster than the Dreambox 800, the Zgemma was equally as fast.
Satellite tuner is awesome, on a par with the one in both the Zgemma and Dreambox, all transponders were scanned correctly nothing was missed. :)
Image is nice and clean, no jitters stutters or artefacts. :)
Cable tuner....Hmm....it's giving me slightly less glitches than the Zgemma cable tuner did, but it still there and it's annoying the hell out of me! :(
Just the same as the Zgemma I'm getting glitching on FTA HD and SD, as soon as I replace the machine with the Dreambox the glitching is gone.
My SNR is 99% AGC is 0% is this a bug in the firmware?

I played around with a few images on both the Edision OS mini (combo box) & the 2nd gen zgemma's including the H2H (combo box) to try get comparisons...I couldnt draw anything conclusive from my experiences but on the whole I found a few subtle differences comparing them like for like, the sat tuners were perfect on both boxes regardless of base image (vix4/atv5.3) but on the cable side it was a little different: Both cable tuners were completely watchable but did suffer the occasional annoying freezing/glitching. Many things such as splitter, connections, signal strength etc may have played a part but for the sake of argument I will say everything was the same in hardware & software.

Edision = slightly more freezing/glitching on ATV than VIX (so I used VIX)
Zgemma = some freezing/glitching on both (few bugs in vix so I used use ATV)

stu22 try vix & see if its the same for you

Last edited:
I'm testing ViX just now, same results as the factory installed image.

I agree, the boxes are very similar, same Broadcom CPU, slightly different memory setup and a few extra bells and whistles on the Edision.

One thing is clear, neither of them have a cable tuner as good as a 5 year old Dreambox, lol

Any idea why my AGC is 0%?

is that on cable side? My SNR is 99% AGC is 0% is this a bug in the firmware? ??,my xtrend is only 55 wonder what other users say,any boosters fitted as wondering if cable signal is too strong.

I can put my 2 pence in now as I have Beaky's box to break for a week.

I must say I am very very disappointed with the Edison mini OS as I was expecting something which would be better than the zgemma H2S, not worse.

The look of the box is cheap!

The LED panel can be seen behind the front screen, not the time on the LED the actual LED panel.
There is no micro SD Slot, well there is but it is blanked off BEHIND the hole with a nice beige colour bit of plastic.
The front panel flap is not easy to open or smooth in doing so. It makes a large click sound and you just hope you haven't broken it.

IMG_20160616_195333180.jpg IMG_20160616_195358684.jpg

Granted Beaky has been a good boy and left the screen protecting plastic on the front panel but I cannot defend the rest of the front which just looks like a cheap alarm clock.

The remote looks OK if not a little bit late 90s but I "think" it is multi functional judging by the various buttons along the top (left hand side in this case) which would be a good thing if it was nice to use. The buttons are a bit non responsive to the touch and there is no click sound like the Zgemma remotes. I have had it do a double press on me now and then but wondered if that was from Beaky and pron channels? I didn't want to think about it too much.
IMG-20160615-WA0002.jpg

The flash process was simple. With the usual files on the USB stick, chucked it in the front port under the flap, once I had wrestled it open, and turned on the box. In seconds it was telling me a flash was available and to press and hold the OK button within 10 seconds. I did this and it didn't work. It actually meant press the OK button a load of times to flash which I did and it worked. It was no hassle with a progress bar too. Better than the zgemma flash process of sit there and wait while the box appears to do nothing.

I decided I would opt for the wireless connection as it is there to be used. So from the setup wizard I followed the steps and failed. I think it is an openATV thing because I had the same trouble using a cheap USB wireless dongle on my zgemma, but I couldn't get it to connect first time or the second and then got bored. I know it will work in the end if I sod about enough. So upon getting bored I plugged my network cable in.

Using the exact same setup for WooshBuild, the box performed very well and was stable from starting the build to the end. I haven't tried the built in bluetooth as I don't really see a purpose for it. I am sure there are reasons to have it, but they escape me.

It is fair to say that for whatever reason it was slightly quicker, now I mean only slightly and nothing you would notice unless you have them side by side like I have at the moment.

On closing:

I would not say no if a supplier offered me a permanent loan to make WooshBuild on so I can keep it updated along with the zgemma range
The speed of the box would not have any influence over buying the Edision or zgemma but it was only a tad faster even with a full build on it.
The look of the box, now I have seen one first hand, would be a huge reason not to buy one vs the zgemma H2S. It just looks far to cheap and build quality is poor. If like Kidda C you have your box hidden away, go for it, if it is on a unit like ours is, i prefer the shiny zgemma and smooth opening flap.
The remote is also another negative for me, it looks like the typical universal remote but the buttons are small and don't feel quite right under the thumb or finger.

People who read my gobshite posts will know I love my H2S box from Zgemma but I have given this an honest opinion as I have nothing to lose or gain by slating or praising either box.

The Zgemma has the edge on build quality and overall look
The Edision wins it for flashing ability and Air Digital (makers of zgemma) should look at doing the same sort of thing

Beaky, thanks for the box loan. I will super glue the front flap back on before I return it.

The front panel flap is not easy to open or smooth in doing so. It makes a large click sound and you just hope you haven't broken it.

Really? Mine opens no problem with no click.

Granted Beaky has been a good boy and left the screen protecting plastic on the front panel but I cannot defend the rest of the front which just looks like a cheap alarm clock.

I think most boxes of this style look like something out of a 80's Kays Catalogue. :)

The remote looks OK if not a little bit late 90s but I "think" it is multi functional judging by the various buttons along the top (left hand side in this case) which would be a good thing if it was nice to use. The buttons are a bit non responsive to the touch and there is no click sound like the Zgemma remotes. I have had it do a double press on me now and then but wondered if that was from Beaky and pron channels? I didn't want to think about it too much.

The remote looks like something you'd find in Poundland, I'm really not impressed with it. Mine has also sent double presses and on some occasions no presses at all. I do like the multi-function feature though.

It actually meant press the OK button a load of times to flash which I did and it worked.

Mine didn't. I held the OK button then it took me to the flash screen.

I decided I would opt for the wireless connection as it is there to be used. So from the setup wizard I followed the steps and failed. I think it is an openATV thing because I had the same trouble using a cheap USB wireless dongle on my zgemma, but I couldn't get it to connect first time or the second and then got bored. I know it will work in the end if I sod about enough. So upon getting bored I plugged my network cable in.

My Wifi kicked in first time no problem on both the OpenATV and ViX images.

I haven't tried the built in bluetooth as I don't really see a purpose for it. I am sure there are reasons to have it, but they escape me.

Bluetooth works but I agree it's pointless. I paired it to my phone then disabled it.

Hi All,

I'm thinking about getting the Edision combo, having read a lot of posts Zgemma V Edison. I previously had the kryptview a780 did the job, go to channel and watch the live game only time and thing I used it for. I did the update for newcamd/mgcamd tested a few lines and never got much joy, scrambling, some channels, worked good on some and not so on others.

From what I have read the Edision has a better cable tuner which I plan to get a line for.

I have a few questions if anyone can help me out. Can I use cable to get the HD chanels and watch the freeview chanels for sat? can I just plug in a SD card or HDD for timeshift and recording?

Many thanks

Maybe the blutooth was added for supporting blutooth remotes or using mobile to control the box.

It is one ugly box.

The two year warranty, official vix support, flash process and wifi already included are the only postives about this box over zgemma.

I've got two Edision OS Mini combo's one upstairs and one downstairs, so quite i'm happy with them.

I agree it looks dated but i don't sit there looking at the box, i look at the tv. lol

And i've had zero problems with the remote on both boxes.

Maybe the blutooth was added for supporting blutooth remotes or using mobile to control the box.

It is one ugly box.

The two year warranty, official vix support, flash process and wifi already included are the only postives about this box over zgemma.

That leaves the Zgemma packing then...

It is one ugly box.

That leaves the Zgemma packing then...

Not really the Edision price difference to zgemmas is about £15-20 so are those mentioned worth extra??? wifi adapters are worth £5 and whos to say if warranty will really be honoured for two years plus I have not really heard of any Zgemma boxes dying.

I am not even going to get into the openvix stuff that group is a joke.

I have had both for a while now & messed about with both a lot...sure the zgemma has a few less features but overall if I had to buy another box it would deffo be the zgemma & load it with ATV...!

Hi there
There are 2 openvix images for Edision. One is for Edision OS-Mini and the other is for Edision OS -Mini+Plus.
I assume that the Plus option is for twin tuner and the other is for the single tuner. Am I correct?

Thanks for the pics wooshman, I was swaying towards an Edision but the box and remote are pretty terrible looking! Will stick with another H2S I think

Last edited:
Sorry to raise this one up, but I've got a couple of questions;
1) How do you switch between the two feeds on this box? Or is that not necessary?
2) What skins do people use on this box? Is there a dual skin for VM or $ly?

Back