Asus AC 86u Router Deco Setup

urie

TK Veteran
Good choice, l have one, no problems with it after 2yrs+.(y)
As you know I have your older Asus model no problem even connecting it to virmin hub 5 but still aint managed to get it going with my deco m4 mesh as access point. Problem will be on my side so woody and any other members any info help.
Basicly it was just to add vpn to router as not really possible on Deco M4 you can add L2TP on the deco but not ideal.

As you know I have your older Asus model no problem even connecting it to virmin hub 5 but still aint managed to get it going with my deco m4 mesh as access point. Problem will be on my side so woody and any other members any info help.
Basicly it was just to add vpn to router as not really possible on Deco M4 you can add L2TP on the deco but not ideal.
What Asus router is it @urie ?

Then install ASUSWRT Merlin, you will be able to install your VPN on your router no problems at all, depending on which VPN you use, there are different methods. Let me know which VPN you use and I will see if i can help you install it on your router

Then install ASUSWRT Merlin, you will be able to install your VPN on your router no problems at all, depending on which VPN you use, there are different methods. Let me know which VPN you use and I will see if i can help you install it on your router
I can install vpn onto router the problem is getting the router to work with deco m4 as access point

I can install vpn onto router the problem is getting the router to work with deco m4 as access point
Maybe I mis-understood :unsure:

Hope you get it working, I have no knowledge of Deco M4's sorry

I have the DSl -AC68U with Merlin software installed.It has a section called AI Mesh which is used to set up mesh systems.I don't use it so can't say how easy/hard it is to use , but that may help solve the connection issues.

Sorry Urie l don't use wifi, all my gear is hard wired except for the guest network l use for my fon. So l am as much use as an ashtray on a motor bike.:unsure:

I have the DSl -AC68U with Merlin software installed.It has a section called AI Mesh which is used to set up mesh systems.I don't use it so can't say how easy/hard it is to use , but that may help solve the connection issues.
Al Mesh only works with other Asus compatible routers + there is an Asus type extender than can be use instead of other Asus router. But I already have working Deco mesh system and don't want to buy another Asus device. I do have VPN working on both my running enigma2 devices, was just trying to get it working via router so whole network has vpn rather than individual devices.

Al Mesh only works with other Asus compatible routers + there is an Asus type extender than can be use instead of other Asus router. But I already have working Deco mesh system and don't want to buy another Asus device. I do have VPN working on both my running enigma2 devices, was just trying to get it working via router so whole network has vpn rather than individual devices.
So just set up your Asus (I presume your main router) with your VPN on it, then everything will be secured, as EVERYTHING has to connect to the outside world via your main router!!, Phones, Tablets, PC's and other routers!!

So just set up your Asus (I presume your main router) with your VPN on it, then everything will be secured, as EVERYTHING has to connect to the outside world via your main router!!, Phones, Tablets, PC's and other routers!!
I need to connect like Virmin Router + Asus Router + Deco M4 Mesh I have found more info on TPLink forum this is for deco m5 but should be the same :

Re:M5 set up with Virgin Superhub 3 in the UK I suppose the best way to answer your question is to give you an overview of what I've done. At least it will give you one possible way to set this up:

First of all this is what I have:

• A: Virgin (fibre) CableTV-Telephone-Broadband (200Mb).
  • B: Virgin SuperHub WiFi Router
  • C: ASUS WiFi Router (x4 Gigabit Network LAN Ports; 1x Gigabit WAN Port)
  • D: Deco M5 (x3 units)

Before I bought the Deco this is what I had done:

1. Virgin SuperHub set to "modem mode". In other words I turned off the WiFi and Router capability so that I could use my own superior/powerful WiFi Router (ASUS). In essence this turned my SuperHub into a rather 'expensive' dumb modem which gave full 200Mb via one of its ethernet ports connected to the WAN port of my ASUS Router.
  2. ASUS Router providing WiFi and fixed LAN capability throughout the house.
  3. WiFi Name: "CHERRY"

But I couldn't get a signal to the back of my house/upstairs/garden. And I wasn't happy with using a Netgear WiFi Extender which meant having a secondary SSID (or WiFi name) - "CHERRY_EXT1" and so forth. (some will argue that the Extender could also be called "CHERRY" as well, which is true, but this will cause conflicts and issues).

Then I bought the Deco and this is what I have now done:

4. Followed the instructions and connected the 1st Deco to the ethernet port of the ASUS Router using the TP-LINK Deco smartphone app.

5. Connected a 2nd Deco in my son's room (wirelessly).

6. Connected a 3rd Deco in the guest room, located upstairs at the back overlooking the garden (also wirelessly).

7. The Deco WiFi is called "MANGO". The Deco is configured in "Router" Operating Mode by default.

8. THEN I did the following: I turned off the WiFi on the ASUS Router (no more "CHERRY"). So, with WiFI turned off it's now it's become a rather expensive BUT very powerful LAN Router/Firewall/Switch - which is what I expected and wanted. (I even removed the six antannae from the ASUS).

9. I then changed the Deco's Operating Mode from "Router" to "Access Point". This means the Deco is now just a plain and simple, but expensive, WiFi 'roaming' system. It no longer offers any firewall capability, port forwarding, NAT, QoS, DHCP, etc etc. Again, it's what I expected and wanted.

10. The WiFi in the entire house and garden is "MANGO". With no disconnections, no loss of service and typical speeds between 185Mb and 220Mb download and 20Mb upload.

I didn't want to decommission my ASUS Router. Why? Because it's an all powerful Router with advanced features: so it's doing all the hard work because of the 1Gb RAM and Quadcore CPU inside it; hard work such as - firewall, parental controls, NAT'ing/port forwarding, DHCP and fixed IP addresses, QoS and bandwidth limiting per device or application (e.g. NetFlix, Amazon Video), network prioritisation, Intrusion detection/Intrusion prevention, network traffic analyzing, VPN etc etc. I don't care about any of those features in the Deco; it's purpose - for me - is to offer WiFi and nothing else.

In your example you don't have an ASUS Router, therefore keep the Virgin SuperHub in Router Mode (not Modem Mode) and turn off the WiFi, thus the only WiFi is coming from your Deco. But also put your Deco into Access Point mode, otherwise you will have two DHCP 'servers' issuing IP addresses and causing conflicts. (The SuperHub will also continue performing as a Firewall etc).

The alternative is: put your Virgin SuperHub into Modem Mode and keep your Deco in Router Mode so that it does EVERYTHING. That's not a compromise: the Deco will happily perform as a firewall, QoS etc etc.

As a footnote: My ASUS continues to serve as a switch: connectivity to other switches which physically connected to my TV, Cable box, Network Storage, Bluray player, SONOS speakers etc etc.

Virgin Media 200Mb+ SuperHub (Modem Mode) -> ASUS Router (WiFi Off) -> three Deco M5 units (in Access Point operating mode).

I need to connect like Virmin Router + Asus Router + Deco M4 Mesh I have found more info on TPLink forum this is for deco m5 but should be the same :

Re:M5 set up with Virgin Superhub 3 in the UK I suppose the best way to answer your question is to give you an overview of what I've done. At least it will give you one possible way to set this up:

1. Virgin SuperHub set to "modem mode". In other words I turned off the WiFi and Router capability so that I could use my own superior/powerful WiFi Router (ASUS). In essence this turned my SuperHub into a rather 'expensive' dumb modem which gave full 200Mb via one of its ethernet ports connected to the WAN port of my ASUS Router.

But I couldn't get a signal to the back of my house/upstairs/garden. And I wasn't happy with using a Netgear WiFi Extender which meant having a secondary SSID (or WiFi name) - "CHERRY_EXT1" and so forth. (some will argue that the Extender could also be called "CHERRY" as well, which is true, but this will cause conflicts and issues).

4. Followed the instructions and connected the 1st Deco to the ethernet port of the ASUS Router using the TP-LINK Deco smartphone app.

6. Connected a 3rd Deco in the guest room, located upstairs at the back overlooking the garden (also wirelessly).

7. The Deco WiFi is called "MANGO". The Deco is configured in "Router" Operating Mode by default.

8. THEN I did the following: I turned off the WiFi on the ASUS Router (no more "CHERRY"). So, with WiFI turned off it's now it's become a rather expensive BUT very powerful LAN Router/Firewall/Switch - which is what I expected and wanted. (I even removed the six antannae from the ASUS).

9. I then changed the Deco's Operating Mode from "Router" to "Access Point". This means the Deco is now just a plain and simple, but expensive, WiFi 'roaming' system. It no longer offers any firewall capability, port forwarding, NAT, QoS, DHCP, etc etc. Again, it's what I expected and wanted.

10. The WiFi in the entire house and garden is "MANGO". With no disconnections, no loss of service and typical speeds between 185Mb and 220Mb download and 20Mb upload.

I didn't want to decommission my ASUS Router. Why? Because it's an all powerful Router with advanced features: so it's doing all the hard work because of the 1Gb RAM and Quadcore CPU inside it; hard work such as - firewall, parental controls, NAT'ing/port forwarding, DHCP and fixed IP addresses, QoS and bandwidth limiting per device or application (e.g. NetFlix, Amazon Video), network prioritisation, Intrusion detection/Intrusion prevention, network traffic analyzing, VPN etc etc. I don't care about any of those features in the Deco; it's purpose - for me - is to offer WiFi and nothing else.

In your example you don't have an ASUS Router, therefore keep the Virgin SuperHub in Router Mode (not Modem Mode) and turn off the WiFi, thus the only WiFi is coming from your Deco. But also put your Deco into Access Point mode, otherwise you will have two DHCP 'servers' issuing IP addresses and causing conflicts. (The SuperHub will also continue performing as a Firewall etc).

The alternative is: put your Virgin SuperHub into Modem Mode and keep your Deco in Router Mode so that it does EVERYTHING. That's not a compromise: the Deco will happily perform as a firewall, QoS etc etc.

As a footnote: My ASUS continues to serve as a switch: connectivity to other switches which physically connected to my TV, Cable box, Network Storage, Bluray player, SONOS speakers etc etc.

Virgin Media 200Mb+ SuperHub (Modem Mode) -> ASUS Router (WiFi Off) -> three Deco M5 units (in Access Point operating mode).

OK then ..... Get on and get the job done (y)(y)

In my example I don't have an Asus Router???..... I have 3 and all work in harmony, and I didn't need to go through all of that S**t above, that is a very complicated way of setting your systems up, but hey.....if it is working for you, then who am I to comment

In my example I don't have an Asus Router???..... I have 3 and all work in harmony, and I didn't need to go through all of that S**t above, that is a very complicated way of setting your systems up, but hey.....if it is working for you, then who am I to comment
Yes but you are hard wired no mesh system I don't wan't to be having problem of running ethernet cable upstairs when I can connect to the deco ethernet ports . I know the Asus wifi would be ok and I do not want to pay for Gigabit home plugs :smiley:

Last edited:
Yes but you are hard wired no mesh system I don't wan't to be having problem of running ethernet cable upstairs when I can connect to the deco ethernet ports . I know the Asus wifi would be ok and I do not want to pay for Gigabit home plugs :smiley:
I do use AI Mesh

Ha ha I was waiting for that.
Thanks to a massive Helping hand from
Kaspas 4450 I have managed to source one at a vgood price.
And is help was fantastic and ongoing in setting up. Cheers boys. Great result.... Paul

Ha ha I was waiting for that.
Thanks to a massive Helping hand from
Kaspas 4450 I have managed to source one at a vgood price.
And is help was fantastic and ongoing in setting up. Cheers boys. Great result.... Paul
Cheers Paul, we are all here to help as best we can, there are some very good and knowledgeable people within this forum, and most will give you good advice and help. This is why we join and participate in forums like this (y) Glad you are NEARLY sorted my friend

Last edited:
Back