Windows Vista Back up and restore

richkez

Hi i am using vista home premium and for a while now i have not been able to use back up and restore i keep getting a message about not being able to use writer or something like that i dont want to format my hd and start again does anyone know if i can reinstall vista over vista without losing everything else

are you backing up to a dvd? that can go thru a helluva lot of dvds.you can back up to another partition on your main drive.the drawback is you cant backup a system image.you can also backup to another hard drive or an external hard drive.check these options before a format.

Hi, you haven't mentioned why it is you want to re-install Windows Vista without losing anything? Has your system slowed down or something?

You might want to take a look at a software called Acronis True Home Image, it is able to make a bit-by-bit copy of the entire hard drive so if there are any problems in the future, then you can restore the image back to your hard drive, and it will be just the way it is when you made the backup.

By making a quick judgement by your system restore error message, I would probably suggest re-installing OS and then using Acronis to do a backup.

sorry i didn't explain that very well when i try yo make a restore point it fails and i get a message saying The restore point could not be created for the following reason

The writer experienced a transient error if the backup process is retried the error may not reoccur (0x800423f3)

but if i retry i always get the same message so instead of starting again and losing every thing i want to reinstall vista over the top

Back