Before I even dive in!

Evening all!

So I have just got into reading up about all this business and looking a few boxes to see what is best for me!

I have a few questions, who doesn't?!

1) I used to run a forum years ago and I have seen FTP come up a few times, is FileZilla/FTP software all you need along with the correct files and folders in terms of "being IT Savvy"?
2) The below photo is the cable I have running out of an old sky disk outside my window... It's a twin cable which I can't seem to get my head around as every box only seems to need one COAX cable?

It's hanging outside cut from when Virgin Media installed our broadband, asked me to cut it as he couldn't as it was sky but asked if he could keep what he cut. Said he has some other business which he does with sky boxes. I now know what and wish I had probed him there and then! Always thought these kind of cable set ups and boxes are word of mouth in a market or a pub!

Any ideas and pointers are much appreciated!

Many thanks,
Ben

Link to photo of cable: View image: 20150731 192646

Filezilla will be fine.

Twin 'shotgun' cable is only needed if you intend to watch one channel whilst recording another or to record two channels at once.

If you are only getting a single tuner box then you only need a single feed. I am of course assuming you are using the sly dish as if you have cable there are options for that also ;)

Right so seeing as that's the cable running from the dish, how would I make it into a single feed? Simply only plug in one and let the other be unused or do I need a different cable all together?

Also @alcable as stated in my original post, Virgin CUT the SKY cable to install their own one through the wall, it was only big enough for one... I had to cut it myself as Sky and Virgin are not allowed to cut each others cables!

Last edited:
Yes, simply only connect one as they are 2 separate feeds independent of one another, as said before its for twin tuners, like two sat boxes in one. With it being cut, has it been exposed to the elements for a while? Are you going to rejoin it for a live sat feed? Why not get a VM box and use that and get HD?

Different boxes need different feeds/inputs some take 2 sat and 2 VM making 4 inputs required, my solo2 has 2 sat feeds and 1 VM via a USB DVB-C tuner making it triple tuner if you follow?

what u trying to do i will advise u are u keeping virgin internet or getting rid of it if keeping u will need to drill another hole if getting another internet provider u can join on to virgin from we omni box out side to sat dish or get virgin box no need to do anything just take your tivo etc out put in your own or get a bigger spliter and add a box zgemma best box i think for price

Last edited:
Sorry for the late replies to you all, been swamped at work!

Basically I want a whole Sly package, without it costing sm arm and a leg!

So why would I get Virgin TV? I don't understand the idea of paying for cable, to also pay on top of an openbox/zgemma box?!

I wouldn't need to record, but would like HD but don't understand how that with cable only?

How would I even know if the dish still works?!

Back