Best RAM Configuration

TristanD27

Aaaah ok that is very helpful thank you :)
I am future proofed with 8GB (2x4GB) of Kingston hyperX RAM, Dual channel, DDR3 with a latency of 9 :grin: Although there has been a bit of an argument between various people and I don't know where I stand yet. With the ram I mentioned above, am I best putting the two sticks in slot 1 and 2 or 1 and 3?. As I understand it.. If you have dual channel RAM, having them on 1 and 2 makes them work together as if they are working as one whereas putting them on 1 and 3 it is splitting them up. If I am correct, if you had 2x2GB sticks of RAM then having them on 1 and 2 would be better because it would be like having 1x4GB stick, whereas because I have 2x4GB and you rarely find yourself in need of having 8GB I may as well have them on 1 and 3? Please correct me if I am wrong, I will be amazed if I am right :grin:

Aaaah ok that is very helpful thank you

I take it that line above was in response to advice you received from another forum and pasted it here?

Regardless of what forum advice you get, you should really refer to your Mobo's manual for the correct order of RAM installation. Believe it or not manufactures do differ ;)

-

It was moved from another thread by a forum moderator.
None of that is information that I have got on a forum, it is stuff I learned and just wanted to know if it was right or not. As far as manufacturer differences go, I don't think it matter how the ram is installed on my motherboard.

Back