BP Oil Leak Question

Gman496

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m sure there’s a very rational reason for it but I just don’t understand if oil is

1. So valuable

2. Supposedly so scarce

3. Caused so much greed, so many wars & loss of life

Why BP is trying to seal the leaking well for good?

I’m sure it cost a fortune to sink that well? So why don’t they put a new rig over the relief cap when & if they manage to secure it & continue to pump the oil to the surface?

Or am I totally misreading the situation? :dunno:

-

I thought myself from what i heard from the news anyway that they are drilling a relief well just a few feet from where the leak is, maybe this is just to seal the leak for good or maybe to drain the well to stop oil from leaking in the future. Friend of mine works on a rig off egypt which im meeting later on for the waterford replay :) he might be able to explain it to me better as he drives those underwater robot thingys :)

Actually axxxo, there are 2 relief wells being dug towards the main pipe. They are hoping to continue siphoning oil from the drill site to other containment ships. What their hope is, to have at least one or 2 platforms in the area, and lead the pipes up to them. All this was to never really not take the oil out, but was to get it out without another large spill developing.

Sealing "for good " so to speak is only meaning to keep the oil from spilling out. The Cement seal is to contain the oil and gas , yet not so permanent that another rig cannot drill through and reopen the well for production. The redrilling through the cement seal will be far easier than drilling thousands of feet of earth.. most of the drilled well will remain empty.

Back