British Gas smart meter

makido

VIP Member
Just an heads up, if you have a smart meter and usually top up online, there is a problem with the online payments. So cant use at the moment.
Was told that the gas/electricity cards still go through as normal though. The parents are away and have the cards with them, so ive had some rate fun trying to get topped up, so dont let it run low

Just an heads up, if you have a smart meter and usually top up online, there is a problem with the online payments. So cant use at the moment.
Was told that the gas/electricity cards still go through as normal though. The parents are away and have the cards with them, so ive had some rate fun trying to get topped up, so dont let it run low
It must be British gas mine just gone through no problem with utilita

Last edited:
Don't get me started with gas and electric meters. When we had ours installed they ran a check on our mobile signal in the house to see if it was strong enough to have one installed. On the the third attempt it was acceptable so they went ahead with the install. But I'm still getting people knocking on my door from eON asking to read my meters and I'm currently fighting a battle with them trying to sort it out.

I've been trying to get a Smart meter for Years as I'm fed up with estimated bills. Tried several different companies, including British Gas who are heavily advertising them and no success. I just get a standard reply of - we're not installing in your area and don't have to install until the end of 2020

I've been trying to get a Smart meter for Years as I'm fed up with estimated bills. Tried several different companies, including British Gas who are heavily advertising them and no success. I just get a standard reply of - we're not installing in your area and don't have to install until the end of 2020
Have you tried utilita or eon there's ovo aswell n power

It must be British gas mine just gone through no problem with utilita
With 39p on the gas, I was kinda desperate, with no cards or anything and trying to get through their automated thing was a nightmare, I was like "I only wanna top the meter up not rob a bloody bank"
Will teach me for leaving it until the last minute in future, but im a why do today, when you can do it tomorrow kinda girl

I cant get a smart meter fitted at home either. I get told its not in my area as well. I have to be like an ninja to get to my electric box. :laughing:

With 39p on the gas, I was kinda desperate, with no cards or anything and trying to get through their automated thing was a nightmare, I was like "I only wanna top the meter up not rob a bloody bank"
Will teach me for leaving it until the last minute in future, but im a why do today, when you can do it tomorrow kinda girl

I cant get a smart meter fitted at home either. I get told its not in my area as well. I have to be like an ninja to get to my electric box. :laughing:
Lmao just like my missus that I could do this today but should I do it tomorrow luckily my electric and gas box is bang next to my front door

Have you tried utilita or eon there's ovo aswell n power

Of the big 5, I've tried BG and E-on. Smaller companies include one that has a specific Smart Meter tariff (Green Energy UK) and didn't get a Smart meter despite being on their Smart tariff

Scottish power email me at least twice a week and ring me once a week begging to let them install them, dont want them at all and have requested numerous times to be taken off the list and been told each time, 'no one will contact you again' - following day theres a letter (for my woodburner) and 2 or 3 emails telling me theyre in my area.
i have an online aquaintance who's blind, he got rid of them by requesting one that worked in braille, they said they'll get back to him

There's been reports from other countries that they can be hacked, what happens when a hacker notices that you havent used any leccy or gas for five days? he'll be thinking 'this fella's on holiday, i'll nip round later...'

If you change supplier, will your smart meter, be compatible with your new supplier ?

Was gonna have a smart meter fitted with Scottish power but luckily the engineer called in sick and I have never re organised it to be done.

After reading some of the stuff about them I had a lucky escape o think...

Back