BT upgrade broadcasts to UHD

barryboom

From my understanding BT have began broadcasting in ultra high definition ahead of there flagship programming of the champions league in August. This will therefore mean that exactly as sky HD was BT HD channels will no longer work for anyone using anything other than legit boxes. I suppose the auld saying is true and getting truer "you only get what you pay for"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BT have announced that a new channel will be starting called "BT Sport Ultra HD". I can't find any info about the current BT Sport channels swapping to UHD though.

I may well be wrong and happy to be corrected. Has anyone still got access to watch BT sports HD channels on VU+ or f3 or F5 boxes? I understand that sky cannot tell BT to broadcast in ultra high def but it is in there own interest to do so and follow sky in that regard. Sky will be launching there ultra HD box soon as well for people to actually make full use of there 4k tvs.

My BT HD channels work fine, also EPSN, it will be tough to impose/force, BT will limit their customers and future customers if it can only be viewed through 4k devices

...Has anyone still got access to watch BT sports HD channels on VU+ or f3 or F5 boxes?...

Yep. Still working fine on my F5s & V8 boxes.

Also, I've heard that the Ultra HD channel will only be available through their "You View" boxes to start with, before expanding to sat & cable.

Sky HD is now unable to be decoded by these boxes due to them allowing for UHD coding. This does not prevent anyone using legitimate sky, Virgin or you view boxes to view sky's HD offerings unless they have a 4k devices and it will be no different for BT when they broadcast in the same. There will be no need for standard HD once UHD is standard non 4k devices will down scale accordingly and for people not using HDMI cables or boxes there will be the standard def offerings which is only reason why we still have access to any sky content at all at present. P.s I have pretty limited technical knowledge to back that scenario up but as simple as my mind is it seems plausible to me. Would love to be proved wrong as am sure you would all much prefer to watch in HD over SD where possible.

Would love to be proved wrong

Ok here goes... the reason there's no HD on Sky anymore is cause your viewing card is linked to the serial number of the box.

BT don't have this information so can't pair the subscription to the box.... Nice theory though!!! ROFL

You're quite right though UHD broadcasts to us freeloaders are out of the question....for now!! lol

Just did a scan on my Startrack HD box and I think I have lost both BT HD 1 and 2. Just the SD available now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Viewing cards have been paired to the individual boxes for years that it not the reason the HD no longer works. HD stopped on sky channels when sky changed to a new codec. I will find the exact info somewhere on this site but they trialled it with a few channels before starting to roll out to more and more and then eventually they went. If it was because the card is paired to the box they would have all went at once.

Found the piece that described the change best

“Starting from Today Thursday April 24th 2014 all HD subscription channels will begin changing codec and broadcasting streams to allow for thier new Mpeg 5 EPG system to be launched and added to all HD paired boxes via software upgrades ”

Last edited:
Might be right there having seen posts about BT HD off as well as BT announcing UHD channel and remembering vaguely the sky scenario I have took 2 and 2 and came up with 7. But it was a happy mistake from sky they never did it with the sole intention of beating card sharing that only happened to be a side effect of there change. Which no doubt when they realise turned the upgrade to a win win for them.

Back