Cable boxes

matty86

Looking at getting a decent cable box for around 150 odd plus cost of HDD ideally hard drive internal. Don't know much about cable and struggling to only find a couple of boxes compared to satellite.

been looking at this box wondering some of you lads with this box could give some reviews on it? basically need a twin tuner to record one and watch another etc etc the usual stuff. how do they perform and picture quality. What other boxes are out there that do the same sort of thing of this with cable only other i have found was Vu+

Last edited by a moderator:
Any of them should be fine if you buy from similar spec to Gigablue X3.

Buy one flashed with Openvix.

VU box is faster 1300Mhz compared to 750 Mhz.

You notice the speed when flicking through the channels or scrolling through the EPG.

Vu+ Solo SE V2 Twin Tuner DVB-C/T/T2 Cable / Terrestrial Linux HD PVR Ready Receiver

Edision OS MEGA TRIPLE TUNER COMBO Linux Enigma 2 H.265 2x DVB-S/2 + 1x DVB-S2/T2/C HD 1080p Digital Receiver

and Xtrend ET8500

Will take an internal Hdd.

Mutant also do a twin cable box but personally i'm not fussed on the remote.

Never seen a post complaining about picture quality, after all HD is HD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your reply.

The eddiso n looks a good box the processor faster again than the vu solo we one?.

Would i be able to wipe the hard drive from my satellite box and install it in a new one? As I've got 1tb hdd

Edision OS MEGA TRIPLE TUNER COMBO Linux Enigma 2 H.265 2x DVB-S/2 + 1x DVB-S2/T2/C HD 1080p Digital Receiver

Any of them should be fine if you buy from WOS, similar spec to Gigablue X3.

Buy one flashed with Openvix.

VU box is faster 1300Mhz compared to 750 Mhz.

You notice the speed when flicking through the channels or scrolling through the EPG.

Vu+ Solo SE V2 Twin Tuner DVB-C/T/T2 Cable / Terrestrial Linux HD PVR Ready Receiver

and Xtrend ET8500

Will take an internal Hdd.

Mutant also do a twin cable box but personally i'm not fussed on the remote.

Never seen a post complaining about picture quality, after all HD is HD.

Thanks for your reply.

The eddiso n looks a good box the processor faster again than the vu solo we one?.

Would i be able to wipe the hard drive from my satellite box and install it in a new one? As I've got 1tb hdd

You should be able to just put it in the new box without wiping it.
Just check that it's mounted as /media /hdd and ext4 R/W when you put it in the new box.

Got the technomate you are thinking of buying last november with internal hdd, work a treat.
Get it flashed with openvix and follow bee's guide for setting up

plenty of members have got 4k boxes like mutant and others and they can only use oscam and maybe worth a read.

dangerous has a guide for setting up Oscam on E2 boxes.

Oh, yeah, mis read the spec on the Edision box, only one cable tuner.

Looking at getting a decent cable box for around 150 odd plus cost of HDD ideally hard drive internal. Don't know much about cable and struggling to only find a couple of boxes compared to satellite.

been looking at this box wondering some of you lads with this box could give some reviews on it? basically need a twin tuner to record one and watch another etc etc the usual stuff. how do they perform and picture quality. What other boxes are out there that do the same sort of thing of this with cable only other i have found was Vu+
miricalbox mini

I have one of these and it's a great box with 8 tuners but you can't put an internal hdd in it, you are correct though there are no 4k channels on cable yet but you can use it to play 4k content downloaded from the net

That's a shame that it can't take a internal hard drive, Think that's a big flaw.

There only seems to be around 2 or 3 cable boxes that can record two things at once or record one watch one, that can take an internal hard drive etc. Unless am looking in the wrong places.

If I was to go with a 4k box, how difficult is it to set up with Oscam? Can't find dangerous's guide to read though it. Which works better Oscam or mgcamd, I know if i get a 4k box it had to be Oscam but if mgcamd works better I wouldn't bother.

Back